News:

Biggest free backgammon community - members from over 150 countries. Play backgammon for free on Fibs.com and enjoy the community on fibsboard

Main Menu

Fibsboard Forum Match 18 Game 2 Move 22 Herd to move

Started by stiefnu, April 08, 2014, 11:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiefnu

A quick turn-around this time. juanz moved two home and the Herd now has 41 to play. More options available by request.

5-pt match, score juanz 0-1 Herd
Pipcount: juanz (red) 115, Herd (black) 102.

Steve

Linus

I would like to see 8-4, 8-7 as an option.  This gives us the greatest flexibility without leaving a shot.

ah_clem

Quote from: Linus on April 08, 2014, 03:41:14 PM
I would like to see 8-4, 8-7 as an option.  This gives us the greatest flexibility without leaving a shot.

Option added.

Spoiler

we don't want to volunteer a shot, and the race is close enough that I think we want to keep the blockade.  In any case, holding the 7,8, and 9 points gives us 65, 64, 54, and doubles to clear the midpoint so I'll hold those three points.  I don't particularly like burying a checker, but 6/1 looks best to me.
[close]

KDP

Spoiler
i agree we dont want to 1. leave a shot. 2. break our small blockade/landing spot. 3. bury a checker.  so whats the best option?  it may actually be one that isn't on the list as its a play that's hard to find but i've seen players like Mochy and Falfel make.  6-2 4-3 yes it does leave 3 blots but it does give us the chance to rebuild/strengthen our board over the next couple of rolls.  i think juanz is only likely to leave w/ double 5's or 6's so leaving the 3 blots now isn't that much of a risk.  if its a play thats good enough for the 2 best players in the world, i think its good enough for us.
[close]

stiefnu

Quoteit may actually be one that isn't on the list as its a play that's hard to find but i've seen players like Mochy and Falfel make.  6-2 4-3

Option added

Zorba

Spoiler
This roll illustrates how important it is to maintain maximum flexibility when clearly ahead in the race and trying to get home safely. The lack of spares on our points makes this roll already a bit uncomfortable to play.

We'd like to clear the 9pt first but can't, and there is no other really good 4 to play. Clearing the 8 produces a gap and removes a landing spot, making a safe trip home that much more difficult for us. 6/1 creates an even less flexible position next turn and piling a third checker on the ace this early is to be avoided and also, in fact, bad for the race. 

6/2 4/3 slots points we want, avoids burying, and is pretty flexible, it definitely gets my vote. The homeboard blots are almost irrelevant here, we're unlikely to do any hitting soon. In the longer run, these blots are likely to get covered again by clearing our outfield points, and then produce a stronger board than any of the alternative moves, should we want to hit later when the race got close and juanz may like to run.
[close]
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

ah_clem

Spoiler

I didn't see 6/2 4/3.  As was mentioned upthread, it's not an easy play to find.

But now that I see it, I'm changing my vote from 6/1 to it.  I like both plays better than clearing the eight-point.
[close]