News:

**VIP donor members can set up a profile gallery, only viewable by those on their buddy list ****

Main Menu

stupid FIBS rule

Started by aram, February 03, 2005, 11:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aram

Is this the reason why I can't play vs other italians since months?
I translated the email as soon I saw it in another thread, you will find it below.
I just can guess... did he say "shoot you" instead of "do shoot to yourself"?
In italian sparati = spara(shoot)+ti(you/yourself/to you/to yourself)

However...  :huh:
what about the hundreds of droppers, that, by the way, are already managed through the use of RepBot.
and what about this: what does an (hypotetic) threat have to do with that? Is that a kind of reprisal? "10 italians for every nazist killed". No matter if they are innocent.
And, by the way, discriminating us for just being italian is, by all means, *racism*.
Does this stupid rule block any kind of threat to anyone?
Then we should immediately ban backgammon all over the world, maybe we would have PEACE for everyone.
Or is it just what I called it, a reprisal?

If Patti can prove that she has been threatened I will be glad to help her going to a Police Station to denounce the responsible.

But I will not write her until I'm still pissed off as I am.

Aram

---

Dear Claudio_first,
here I will tell what really happened.

I had two nicknames deleted, they had arrived in a very short time to 2000 and 1900 rating.
Then I asked Patti why and she answered that she saw some suspect resigns.
That's probably true, someone was in a hurry and resigned and I accepted: she told me that resigns are not to be accepted.
That evening we talked for about three hours.

Later I created a nick, "affirmed", note that italians already could not play each other so I mathematically could not have any help from anyone. Sure, you could tell me I may have friends all over the world that give me points as a present, but this is just sophism. I got to 1850 with 150 exp and two saved games, the last one was vs Piuma (*AK note: I know personally Piuma*) and I won 7-0 and after that nothing, darkness, deleted again. Then I got upset and I wrote her in the private chat a series of bad words and in the end I told her: "shoot to yourself, idiot".
Maybe I exaggerated -surely- and I publicly apologize, I am sad for those who at the moment cannot play.
I wanted to tell how things went even because I heard that I threatened her by email, this is what she is saying.
I never threatened anyone, even less I threatened her for such a stupid thing where right is 100% on my side.

I conclude saying that she is good with bad words as well, even though it is still nothing compared to what we can read daily into the public chat.

I hope for you all that she soon will re-open the site and reassure her telling her that I could never enter again in such a discriminating game.

I greet you and I am really sorry for the event.

PS: unfortunately here if one plays well he doesn't get rewarded but banned. Ciao!

aram

Thank you very much for the encouragements, the proxy offers, and other suggestions.

Unfortunately they did not change the feeling I had from the start.
I used to consider FIBS my 'backgammon home', as claudio_first underlined in another thread.
But I can't be subject to all that arbitrariness and still feel comfortable.

I realize that FIBS is just one of the BG servers available on the internet, and all the pros and cons are to be weighed.
As usual the more you loved something the more you get upset or feel sorry when it comes to an end.

Now I am a zen monk  -_-

Cheers
-AK

Kari_Grandi

Just remember also where your friends hang out Aram ;)

aram

I know, this will be put between the "pros".
I will play on FIBS when I have to play or I want to play on FIBS... that's normal :)
Besides, many friends already left, others almost did.
I can find them on GG or PMW, as others can be found on FIBS.

Moi  KG  :)

AK

vegas_vic

hey Aram,

Who the hell said you are Italian , tell Patti you are like me  armenian and all should be well
unless there is going to be a rule no armenian can play another armenian.

Look i a kidding but Patti is always open minded , you have to talk to her , she will not be bullied over my polls or people yelling. She will shut it down until everyone cools off.

just make you case ands see where it goes with her.

Patti

I've developed some fairly sophisticated tools for detecting cheaters over the last year or two, and they have done a pretty decent job of making a few people squeal after they got caught.

The intra-Italy play ban is there because a few bad apples have ruined it for everyone.  I don't particularly like the rule, but I feel that it has been a net win for the site.  It's not a personal prejudice against Italians, but a reluctant response to a very bad problem.

It will remain until the troublemakers go elsewhere.

And yes, hurling insults and threats at me is exactly the wrong way to make your point.  As you would expect, I don't look especially favorably on people who do that.

Patti

By the way, just how many accounts do you have, affirmed/sirlad/matchem/thrylion?

adamosad

Hi there,

I can see that Patti joins fibsboard and she starts answering a lot of questions about fibs server.

I want to make a suggestion Webrunner. Why don't you create a new forum in "bot's and other tech stuff" about fibs server.  If Patti agrees, she can lead this forum and all related topics like this one can be transferred there.

Patti

Patti doesn't agree.  I have enough stuff going on in my life already... I don't want to add the responsibility of moderating another discussion forum.

I dropped in because someone talked to me about fixing the horrible flaws in RepBot, and I have very strong feelings about topic.  I'm unwilling to commit to spending a lot of time here, though.  (BTW, is there an RSS feed?  I hate having to go to individual sites to get to discussion forums; I'd rather have them all rolled into one.)

webrunner

Hi Patti,
I am looking to upgrade fibsboard to a new script that will have an rss feed.

This is a big job so it will take a while.
It could be made easier for you though.
I could make an forum especially for you on wich you could subscribe by email.
Everytime someone posts an email will be send to you.
This is all i can do for now.

But more will definitely be coming.
;)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

Bereeze

Of it sirlad would has only one Patti, if you  did not cancel  them always uselessly und unjustly. This is only racim. Prouve all that things u say to sirlad ,thrylion and matchem
prouve prouve prouve
Once sirlad is playing with someone and Patti came to watch and asked sirlad why the cube is 8.(because sirlad was winning) lol are we under GESTAPO?
Patti ask to all players why the cube is 8 or 4 or 12?
Patti order all players to resume their saved games?
and now if sirlad want to connect with fibs, fibs answer ........."make love with you "  lol
Do you come from Eton College?

adamosad

QuotePatti ask to all players why the cube is 8 or 4 or 12?
You must be Ã,´Ã,´cleanÃ,´Ã,´ as you did not set the cube to more than 8...... :D  

webrunner

QuotePatti ask to all players why the cube is 8 or 4 or 12?
Since when can a cube be 12??? :D  
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

Tomawaky

Well notice :D
Maybe take a cube 16
Break it in 2 part
Add a cube 4....

LOL just kidding
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

aram

QuoteThe intra-Italy play ban is there because a few bad apples have ruined it for everyone.Ã,  I don't particularly like the rule, but I feel that it has been a net win for the site.Ã,  It's not a personal prejudice against Italians, but a reluctant response to a very bad problem.

It will remain until the troublemakers go elsewhere.
I see. As I said, I guess I'll manage to live with that rule.

I apologize with Patti and everyone for losing my cool.
It happens when I think I have been wronged.
Anyway, although I still disagree, it is not worth all that anger.

About the League, Tomawaky, probably I found a workaround: I should be travelling to paolone's city in the next weeks, so maybe we will play our match 'live'.  :lol:
Otherwise you could give 2 points to both :) A draw!
Hm... I think it will not save me from Silver, I'm losing too much lately. :D

CiaoCiao

--AK

PS: LOL@vegasvic -> khelk's sire'm!! ira'v e'!  :lol:

PPS: Just to avoid some possible equivocity... the letter to Claudio_first was not mine, eh!!

diane

QuoteHm... I think it will not save me from Silver, I'm losing too much lately. :D
I knew there had to be a positive side to the fact that I am headed rapidly towards bronze... ;)  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

MagoWiz

Aram,

I talked to Patti extensively on this subject. Apparently, she claimed that preventing all players with an Italy based IP address to play each otther was the most effective ant simplest way to impede some jerk to cheat.

It's clear that such a decision is made feasible only becouse, by chance, there are far less players in Italy than in most other countries: you could never do a similar thing on players from, say, delaware or south england, simply becouse theri IP addresses are mixed to those of millions others.

While I fully share your opinion, and feel this procedure is inappropriate,  I may suggest you to use Parlorplay when you want to play other Italians, as I do. Loggin onto FIBS via Parlorplay makes your real IP address invisible to FIBS.

Ciao !

Magowiz

socksey

Parlorplay has long been known to cheaters and other troublemakers for the very reason of hiding the ISP.  Unfortunately, it is used by some, I am told, when away from home computer ligitimately.  Currently, there is a push to ban Parlorplay site.  This is another problem of the problem makers causing problems for all.   :tears:

Death to droppers!   :P

socksey

Never name a pig you plan to eat. - unknown

aram

As I said in another thread (named "I am not welcome"), it must be clear that now it's *me* the one who is blocked, NOT MY IP ADDRESS.

I could register a new username and log in with it with NO PROBLEMS.
Then I reconnected using AramKhan and I have been disconnected with a message stating "you aren't welcome".

So please let's not mix up things.

I never tried to reconnect again, since being not welcome on FIBS is not such a drama for me.
I understand that many players prefer to ignore that, as the Niemoller letter fits well in many situations, and this make no exception: you are afraid to disappoint Patti, and most of the times you seem to be walking on eggs trying not to break them.

My "problem" is that I don't consider FIBS worth the loss of my freedom of speech.
And I think it's coward to hide my ban, trying to mask it as a general italian ban.
If Patti has been offended by my previous posts she should have had the courage to say "I don't like what you said so you won't play on my own server", as I recognize her the right to do whatever she likes on her private ownings.

You all know that it works this way, otherwise you would not be trying to be kind to her whatever she does.
It's a sort of compromise I don't like.
That's all.