News:

Play our  New Fibsboard Position of the Week --> perhaps give your comments/reasons thx..here's the link  http://www.fibsboard.com/position-of-the-week/

Main Menu

A solution to the problem with droppers?

Started by KFJ, October 06, 2008, 05:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KFJ

How about this:
All saved games get a rating using a script. The scripts looks for suspicious games where f.x. a player suddenly leaves the last game deciding match.
The suspicious games get published on a webpage where a small group of well known players publicly vote to decide to end the game and award rating accordingly.

Wouldn't take a lot of manpower to do it and a good-nuf algorithm for the script is easy as well. It would kill the effect of droppers though and make their manners even more pointless than they now are.

adrian

We all wish you good luck, patience, determination and lots of free time to write the scripts, integrate them in all major fibs clients, test them, convince Patti to agree with them, and voila ! Problem solved!    ;)

Side note: Dropper problem dissapearead for me after about 2000-3000 matches played. Be patient, or do all the above.... :smile:

Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

KFJ

The script would be serverside 100% and im guessing it would take me a few hours to code them and implement them if I had the access. The testing wouldnt really be important since there's not much to test and it's a group of humans that decide the final outcome. The script would supply a better guesstimate of which games are drop-games instead of showing a full list of saved games.

KFJ

Would be nice with some kind official response to this. It's very easy to implement(and make) and very easy to maintain active. I predict it would kill the problem with droppers (which is like welcoming a new customer to a store with a kick in the groin - he sure has to like your product to come back)

socksey

If you need the Fibs code, forget it.  Will never happen.   :dry:   That's the reason Repbot came about in the first place.

socksey

"There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, and that is to have either a clear conscience or none at all." - Ogden Nash

KFJ

No FIBS-code needed at all.

Needed:
access to saved games (either locally or via f.x. a public directory) (read rights is enough to show proof of concept)
can the webserver handle php? (other options are ok as well but im mostly into php)

This really is an EASY solution. (and it works)

Patti

If you want an official response, the best thing to do is to contact me directly.  I very rarely read FIBSboard, and I only stumbled across this thread semi-accidentally.

Savedgames files do not have sufficient information to determine who left a game, how the game got saved, etc.  To the best of my knowledge, this information does not exist in any logfile.  In order to implement your suggestion, you would have to examine every single abandoned game.  Right now, there are approximately 3700 savedgames that are over 30 days old.

You would also need some way to distinguish between matches that were intentionally dropped, and matches that were intentionally saved by mutual agreement of the participants.  That seems approximately impossible to do.

"award rating according" is also a sticking point.  How do you propose to make this happen?  The only way to change someone's rating involves shutting down the server.