News:

VIP Donor members can now access VIP articles on the random photos that appear on the front page, with links & larger images..

Main Menu

JavaFIBS 2001 v1.010 is now available for download

Started by cthulhu, March 09, 2008, 06:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu

A new version of JavaFIBS 2001 has been released today thanks to the work of Tom Moulton and Ingo Macherius. The new version can be downloaded from http://www.fibs.com/javafibs/ . The changes from previous version are:

v1.010 (20080309)
------
* Change: GTK look and feel for Unix systems supported (bug 017, inim)
* Change: Path names for Resources, Saved Matches and User prefs are no longer hardcoded and can be set by the user (see docs section 11) (bug 067, inim)
* Change: Repbot context menus added to player and inviter tables (bug 007, inim)
* Change: New About dialog, which displays additional information about the Java runtime used by JavaFIBS 2001 (inim)
* Change: Minor performance improvements all over, especially for the statistics window (inim)
* Change: New Preferences option to automatically save all matches in both internal and Jellyfish format (inim)
* Change: Countrycodes have been updated to contain all existing nations (Jan 2008) as per ISO 3166-2 definition (inim)
* Change: The "refresh" button of the player list sends the "who" command 4 times now, setting sortorder to rrating, rating, name, and login respectively. This should work around the "invisible player" problem a lot better (inim)
* Change: New naming scheme for saved matches: Player_vs_Opponent_YYYYMMDDHHMMSSNNNN, where Y=Year, M=Month, D=Day, H=Hour, M=Minute, S=Seconds and N=Milliseconds (inim)
* Change: Updated ID list of clients supporting PPP (PlayerProfileProtocol) (TourneyBot, JavaCLIPLib, and Delfibs) (ingo)
* Fix: Fixed typo in command menu ("Average") (inim)
* Fix: Saving positions from match recorder button crashed. Works again, positions can be saved as ASCII or Jellyfish *.pos files (bug 019, inim)
* Fix: Sound was distorted when using JDK 1.5 and up on Windows - probably on other systems too (bug 016, inim)
* Fix: Don't intercept ctrl-x key input anymore, it interferes with cut/paste shortcuts (switched to command mode before) (inim)
* Fix: Sorting match length in statistics dialog is now in numerical order (was A-Z), sorting opponent names is now case insensitive (bug 027, inim)
* Fix: Problems with I/O when loading or saving Preferences, Friends, Villain, Buttons, and other Resources are handled more graceful now. (inim)

Tomawaky

There is still the bug in the profile when your last name is in two words, like mine => You're not enable to connect.

And what about
Quote from: cthulhu on March 09, 2008, 06:25:38 PM"New Preferences option to automatically save all matches in both internal and Jellyfish format (inim)"
I tried to activate but nothing changed !

Oups forgotten..... Very thanks for the update
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

don

Great.

It appears because of abuse by JavaFIBS users, Patti is thinking of nuking the saved-games list on fibs.com.  I hope cthulu, Tom and inim will get together with Patti and work this out.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

inim

Quote from: Tomawaky on March 10, 2008, 11:15:21 PM
There is still the bug in the profile when your last name is in two words, like mine => You're not enable to connect.

Thx for the report. Guess you mean family names with space in them, will create a testcase.

And what about [Jellyfish] I tried to activate but nothing changed !

Yes, confirmed and fixed already. It's a glitch which happened due to another fix somewhere between the beta1 and the relase, to code was in but got lost again. A 1.011 correcting this bug will be released next weekend, because I wanna hear some feedback before producing a new version. That version will be created from the JDK13 compatible branch.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

inim

Quote from: don on March 11, 2008, 02:43:49 AM
It appears because of abuse by JavaFIBS users, Patti is thinking of nuking the saved-games list on fibs.com.  I hope cthulu, Tom and inim will get together with Patti and work this out.

Don, what are you talking about? JavaFIBS doesn't read that list at all, and I've never heared such a thing from Patti. Could you please reveal the source of your amazing information? What type of "abuse" happens, and what exactly has JavaFIBS to do with that?
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

don

Here's Patti's shouts from Monday on topic:
Patti shouts: So do bots get autogagged?
Patti shouts: So I came in late.  If someone has more than 16 saved games, then javafibs users can't itneract with them?
Patti shouts: If that becomes common use I'll probably take the savedgames list down.
Patti shouts: The information is not reliable enough to be used in such a manner.
Patti shouts: Yep, all you have to do is play a lot of matches with different people within a few hours.
Patti shouts: It's not that savedgames is wrong.  It's just that the definition of it is very different from the way some people interpret it.
Patti shouts: And if the information is being misused, I'd rather not provide it.
Patti shouts: I don't understand, Diane.
Patti shouts: BT, have you ever looked at the definition of the savedgames list?  It's right there at the top of the page.
Patti shouts: Who created this thing, anyway?
Patti shouts: This client thing.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

inim

Quote from: don on March 11, 2008, 05:44:29 PM
Here's Patti's shouts from Monday on topic:

Thx don for providing me a shout log. It's a non issue for JavaFIBS, as the feature discussed was a 3rd party software which just happens to produce JavaFIBS compatible config files. See this thread  http://www.fibsboard.com/javafibs/repbotsavedgames-t1819.0.html;msg13930.

Adding such code to JF is a no brainer from the coding side, about 20 lines. But for now, this feature won't be added to JF -- as it obviously opens a can of worms way beyond that 20 easy lines. Nice idea though, which may be revisited in a form Patti considers politically correct.

Tomawaky

Another thing I forgot to mention, because it's not really a bug but if some people interested to fix metrics file ;-)

When you play with Board settings depend on the board chosen and the view mirrored or not, we have strange behaviour
Try with Board 2002 mirrored or not and you will see.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

burper

It's a real act of faith to spend time coding for FIBS, knowing that Patti could pull the plug on any part of it at any time for reasons unknown.

I've said before, the more valuable way to leverage the saved games list, is to archive each days' somewhere and process that.
A single days' list doesn't have much meaning, as Patti admits. It is only differences across sequential days that have begin to have meaning.
Which is why RepBot compares 2 days worth.

If you had the raw data, and a way for users to customize how they query/interpret it, then you've really got something.
But then, one day, maybe Patti gets all emotional about something and stops generating the data. Oh well.

You're better off writing in some auto-vouch options so people have enough RepBot data to make the friends command meaningful.
Let users' decide the conditions for when a vouch is automatically registered, e.g. number of matches completed losing to you, at several experience levels, etc...

inim

Quote from: inim on March 11, 2008, 04:16:08 PM
Thx for the report. Guess you mean family names with space in them, will create a testcase.

I've looked at the issue, and results are mixed. The PPP (Player Profile Protocol) definition reads:

The client field can hold up to 20 7-bit ASCII characters. The possible useable characters ranges from the numbers 33 to 126 or 0100001 to 1111110 in binary.

This means SPACE (Ascii 32) isn't a legal character in names. So if there is a bug in JF, it is to accept that input first hand. I personally consider the PPP specification to be broken by design anyway, i.e. it limits use of non-western names, limits the length of names, has undefined truncation behaviour, and lacks client versioning. To name just a few more beyond the SPACE issue.

For now, simply don't use SPACE, or JF behaviour will be undefined, including failures to login. I've put this issue into the bugtracker for further debate among the developers. I won't touch the issue for 1.011, as it implies incompatible changes. For 2.0, there will be a solution in some way.

inim

Quote from: Tomawaky on March 11, 2008, 08:32:20 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention, because it's not really a bug but if some people interested to fix metrics file ;-)

When you play with Board settings depend on the board chosen and the view mirrored or not, we have strange behaviour

Thx for your report once more. I love to hear bug reports, be sure you will be heared. Filed it into the bugtracker, can't promise any fix date though. But will be handled when developer capacity is available. If you or somebody else can fix it, I will happily incorporate the fix into the next release.

kopmann

My new javafibs has a bug. I can add programmable buttons. But when i restart javafibs, they are gone. Only a few "..." are left.

Christian

wintom

Quote from: kopmann on March 13, 2008, 07:07:31 AM
My new javafibs has a bug. I can add programmable buttons. But when i restart javafibs, they are gone. Only a few "..." are left.

Christian

I don't think this is a bug. You might want to check your buttons file (users->username->buttons) for leftover spaces or carriage returns. JavaFibs should NOT be running when you do this.

hth
Thomas
The Backgammon Blog: Graswurzel Backgammon

inim

Quote from: kopmann on March 13, 2008, 07:07:31 AM

Confirmed, will be fixed in the upcoming 1.011 version. Thx for your feedback.

wintom

Quote from: inim on March 13, 2008, 10:39:15 AM
Confirmed, will be fixed in the upcoming 1.011 version. Thx for your feedback.

I guess I was a bit rash because my old buttons work perfectly. :blush: But adding via the menu doesn't work. Exactly as you stated. :cry:

Thomas
The Backgammon Blog: Graswurzel Backgammon

inim

Quote from: inim on March 12, 2008, 10:55:44 AM

For now, simply don't use SPACE, or JF behaviour will be undefined, including failures to login. I've put this issue into the bugtracker for further debate among the developers. I won't touch the issue for 1.011, as it implies incompatible changes. For 2.0, there will be a solution in some way.

After debate in the team the decision was to ignore the fact the spec contradicts itself and just restore the previous behaviour ASAP, which means spaces will work again in 1.011.

inim

Quote from: Tomawaky on March 11, 2008, 08:32:20 PM

Checked it, the 2002 board and some other multimedia files shouldn't have been in 1.010 first hand. So the fix is: they will be pulled from 1.011.

inim

Bugfixes for 1.011, last call

This is fixed so far, based on the bug reports in this thread and private tells. If anyone has spotted another remaining bug, please report it within the next two days (best: now). Goal is to relase a JDK 1.3 compatible, strictly bugfix oriented 1.011 this weekend. Thx to all reporters!

v1.011 (200803XX)
------
* Fix: Unnecessary textures and untested boards erraneously shipped with 1.010, reverted to 1.009 w/r to both (bug 087, inim)
* Fix: Profile Names with space(s) caused login problems, plus some more tricky PPP parser stability improvements (bug 089, inim)
* Fix: Newly created "User Programmable Button" did not appear in the GUI (or appeared broken, depending on JDK version) (bug 093, inim)
* Fix: "Automatic Jellyfish export" did not work as advertised (bug 085, inim)
* Fix: First login after running with non-existing preferences (either new install or new user) failed (inim)

Tomawaky

socksey

I am at my mom's and she has a pc with WinME.  Can someone please tell me exactly what I must do to get javafibs on this pc?  She does not have any java.

socksey

Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint. - Mark Twain

Hardy_whv

Quote from: socksey on March 15, 2008, 08:59:27 PM
I am at my mom's and she has a pc with WinME.  Can someone please tell me exactly what I must do to get javafibs on this pc?  She does not have any java.

1st: Install the Java Runtime Environment --> http://www.java.com/en/download/

2nd: Download JavaFIBS2001 --> http://www.fibs.com/~cthulhu/

3rd: Run JavaFIBS2001.

To explain that exactly, I'd need 2 pages ... Can you please tell me, for which of the steps you need more precise information.

Hardy  B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

inim

Quote from: Hardy_whv on March 16, 2008, 12:46:09 AM
2nd: Download JavaFIBS2001 --> http://www.fibs.com/~cthulhu/

The new URL for Javafibs since it became a team project is http://www.fibs.com/javafibs, please update your bookmarks and links  :) The download page now also has installation instructions.

Ramses

Thank you very much for the new and improved javafibs, inim!!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup2:  :cool:  :thumbsup2:

inim

Quote from: Ramses on March 16, 2008, 11:14:57 AM
Thank you very much for the new and improved javafibs, inim!!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup2:  :cool:  :thumbsup2:

Ah, I fixed a few bugs  :blushsmiley:. Major cudos should go to Cthulhu, without whose work there wasn't any JavaFIBS, and to Tom who donates all the infrastructure and bandwith used.

Tomawaky

The link to the Board don't works anymore on fibs page.
Please change it to the correct url, it's such a nice game  ;)
http://www.sweboard.com/en

cthulhu

I'll take care of it Tomawaky.  B)

And now that 1.011 is out I'll lock this thread...