News:

**Inspired by recurrent discussions in FIBS shouts on issues concerning science and consciousness, we have introduced an ISP Board on Fibsboard.com ...a space set aside for more considered esoteric meanderings on ideas science and philosophy --- "concept formation and elucidation" .....> the philosophy/physiology/ structure and function of a fibster or fibsboarder!
take a look at http://www.fibsboard.com/ideas-science-and-philosophy/

Main Menu

game 2 Move 16 Forum to play 6-3

Started by ah_clem, December 19, 2009, 12:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ah_clem

stiefnu

Spoiler
I'm inclined run with 20-11. Two crossovers, leaving us with just two to bring in to Schig's four and him with potential gapage. Might be wrong though; I could be persuaded to change my mind.
[close]

NIHILIST

Spoiler
Time to run; close race, close crossovers. To stay is to start wasting pips and likely suffer the indignation of losing by pick - n - pass...........like being nibbled to death by gerbils.

20-14, 9-6.
[close]

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

dorbel

Spoiler
It's clearly right to go. Now our blot is just a target for red. Only (!) 6-2 leaves a shot next turn and there are all those ( count them yourself) numbers that pick and pass or close us out instantly. Also we lead in the race after the roll. Either running play may be correct. I have played 20/11, but 20/14, 9/6 might be better, I haven't a clue about that.
[close]

ah_clem

Spoiler

Transitioning to a running game seems clear - we're ahead by a tempo, and we have the cube so we're actually favored to win.  Staying behind?  i can't think of anything positive.

So 20/14 is clear.  Where to play the 3?  I like moving a checker into the home board. For one thing, any 9 will bring the back man home, but with 20/11 5-4 still leaves  a man in the outfield.

That said, I don't think there's a big difference between 20/11 and 20/14 9/6. Either is fine.

[close]

NIHILIST

Spoiler
I'm just a crossover purist, I'm sure they're both close.
[close]

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

ah_clem

Quote from: NIHILIST on December 19, 2009, 10:32:23 PM
...I'm sure they're both close.

Yeah, so am I,  and although I'm with  you on the choice of move, it's not worth prolonging the vote over a small equity margin.  So I'm going to move it along.  The real choice is whether to stay or go and we're unanimous on that.

roadkillbooks

I went for 20/11. My reason for that instead of 9/6 is because we have the cubed and the rhthem going for us now.  Since we have the cubed we are a favorite to win this game.  We are not trying to get of gammon here. If we move 9/6 we dont have any flexibilty on how we move the next roll.  With 20/11 we have more options next turn.  It is pretty much the same though and since no one is voting for the stay back and fight play there i no need to denounce it.  It has to be a whopper of a blunder to stay.  I only see 6-2 as the only blot number.. 5-4,44,22,55 close us out and 41,42,43,51, 52, 53, and are pick n pass. 11 is a pick and slide.

plus if we run we are 3 pips better than %50 in the race so we are about a 56% favorite plus we have the cube.  A redouble will put us out perfectly.  I think schig will have to be 32% to take.. eventhough hell have an auto rere to 8.  S after running we only have to advance like 12-13% more to win the game.  This is clearly more of a next then immediately meets the eye. (i mean next between "fight and run")

ah_clem

Agree that it's a blunder to stay.

But I think our advantage is more than just having the cube - we are ahead in the race by 7 pips, which is basically the same as being on roll and even.  Worth a tempo.  Of course, having access to the cube is worth something too, perhaps as much or more as the tempo.

Like Bob, I'm a crossover purist and will move a checker into the homeboard before making any other transition. My estimate is that 9/6 is a small equity gain over 20/11, but small enough that it's not worth quibbling about.  Still, I'm surprised that the vote was this lopsided.

I'm going to defer my cube analysis until after he's moved; suffice it to say that we'll have a cube vote no matter how he plays this roll.   I don't think that gives away much....

ah_clem

Expurgated bot results:

Spoiler

I've snipped the absolute equities and presented only the relative equities so as not to give away data that might be useful to a cube decision.

As expected the top two plays are close  - a statistical tie.

1. Rollout          20/14 9/6                    Eq.: 

2. Rollout          20/11                        Eq.:  ( -0.006)

3. Rollout          20/14 6/3                    Eq.:  ( -0.090)

Full cubeful rollout with var.redn.
        1296 games, Mersenne Twister dice gen. with seed 840571151 and quasi-random dice
        Play: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]
        Cube: 0-ply cubeful prune [expert]

[close]