News:

All new Fibsboard.com for 2011 --" your unofficial Forum for all fings FIBS."
New Membergroups, new boards including topical discussions, Campaigns, Culture and Gossip. Photo Galleries, Forum Backgammon vs Top Guest, and much much more.........faster and improved, with sas :)

Main Menu

Game 2, move 2 : Herd 5-2

Started by diane, July 08, 2013, 09:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Never give up on the things that make you smile

Roderick

I like running 23/16 best.  Surprised that that didn't get even 1 out of 9 votes.

Up and down (23/21) is reasonable but it feels inflexible - you strip the midpoint.  However a 4th checker on the 8 is often valuable and is so in this position.  You can get pointed on on the 4 and your opponent will aggressively attack.

As far as 23/16:  if you get missed you're in good shape.  But the hits with fewer return hits come more frequently.

23/18, 13/11 is wrong by quite a bit.  It leaves a tremendous number of hits, several of which point and the spare on the 11 can only be used to make the 5 point because the midpoint is stripped.

Zorba

I thought the running move 23/16 would be interesting if we had more of a racing advantage. Here it is effectively only 1 pip, so basically an equal race. So even if the double shot is missed, it's not a very clear advantage. It would be nice to escape one backchecker though, with Roderick's two still pinned down on our acepoint; it probably leads to a timing advantage.
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

Roderick

ROLLOUT.....

The XG+ results had them as 0.001 different.

A 1296 XG rollout put 23/16 ahead by 0.007 (+0.0213) over 23/21, 13/8 (+0.206) with an 81% chance of 23/16 being best.  I'm not going to roll it out until statistical certainty.  The plays are close but the jump should be something that everyone at least considers in a position like this.