News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

'message' feature request

Started by alef, March 13, 2004, 06:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alef

I'm getting so used to JavaFIBS that I'm not missing MacFIBS so much any more. However, there are two minor frustrations I have with leaving messages:

- It'd be great to see a copy of the message you've just sent after sending it in case you've forgotten something or have a major typo

- With long messages I can't see what I'm typing because of the resizing tab in the bottom right corner covering the last character (might be different for others, but this is how I see it with Mac OS 10.2). It's also an issue for long shouts, kibitzes, etc.

Messages do work much better with those on your friends list, but often I have to leave messages for arranging tournaments and don't want to have everyone on my friends list!

This really is a minor nit pick, but that just reflects how good JavaFIBS is overall  :)  

burper

Advanced messaging is one tab I plan on having in the local-proxy

diane

You can cut and paste in java - so i type my messages in the long line at the bottom - used for kibitz - then cut and paste into message box - you can check for typos that way - and see it more clearly - also when you send the message - if you have the system info on - the message shows there - as it will appear on your recipients screen. (the cut and paste is the control c, control v method). You can also add the person to your friends list - message them and then remove. Overall - java is soo nice i just find ways round the teeny issues  :)  
Dont know what you mean about resizing tab though - i dont seem to have one of those obscuring anything on my screen.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

cthulhu

Quote- It'd be great to see a copy of the message you've just sent after sending it in case you've forgotten something or have a major typo

Yes, but unfortunately FIBS doesn't echo back the message you sent as it does with all other kinds of chat messages.  That's why it's not shown. You can see all messages sent to FIBS by toggling the "show sent messages to server" button at the top.

- With long messages I can't see what I'm typing because of the resizing tab in the bottom right corner covering the last character (might be different for others, but this is how I see it with Mac OS 10.2). It's also an issue for long shouts, kibitzes, etc.

Too bad. Haven't seen any resizing tab in any other os so it may be a Mac OS specifik thingie. Does it show on all Look-and-feels or just the Mac one? My advice is to make a couple of spaces after the end of all your long messages. Then the last characters will be shown. A couple of spaces in the end doesn't matter, and it may also be that JavaFIBS truncate all ending and beginning spaces so they are not sent to FIBS anyway. I'm not sure though. It's hard to do anything proper about it.