News:

Check out the small but well formed 'Campaigns' board --we all feel strongly about something: alert us to a campaign, add a poll - be concise, and aware of strong editorial ;)

Main Menu

Help with musical fibsters please

Started by stog, February 22, 2009, 11:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

hi i'm trying to put together some misc articles
ive started with a couple on the random photos that appear on the front page and also would like to do one on musical fibsters

I know of quite a few music playing fibsters out there..(correct and augment this list please -- guitar, tornado, austin, deuce, gimme, ron, vsz, lewscannon,
perhaps you can add to this article.....let me know who out there plays and whether they're willing to allow a few clips.........

i shall start with ledbelly "ron" - i particularly liked this..entitled "something's missing"

_

and VSZ's unique contribution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x4R_UL39Qs#hq

there are i know more

i may even add one of my own but i'll spare you. - i'll include some friends stuff perhaps

also similiarly with photos and paintings -- there's autumn and vic of course

when all and done could be put together in article which can be added to ---or left as posts.

i've set up a "misc articles" section, under the guise of "Reader's wives" = so feel free to contribute

sixty_something

another great idea, stoggie and cool video

my plucked psaltery CD release and videos will be forthcoming in 2010 .. i've wanted to learn to make music for many years, but have been blocked by that old adult onset fear of failure and looking foolish -- not that being foolish seems to have ever bothered me before ;)

last Christmas, i found an old toy plucked psaltery made in Milano, Italy, in the attic .. it was a treasured childhood gift .. plucking that first string and playing Auld Lange Syne on the roach eaten aged music sheet still under the strings .. Auld Lange Syne was my favorite song from way back when erased all that adult fear and made me want to sit in with the band someday on the plucked psaltery or better still sit in and play something around a campfire in Kerrville

i popped a string when i first tried tuning my psaltery after buying a chromatic tuner, but i learned to transpose the psaltery notation to the white keys on a keyboard to which it is tuned .. i hope to add the ukulele to my bag of tricks too and continue to develop my wash tub bass and musical saw skills -- none of which are much good for anything but a laugh at present .. although friends have said i'm pretty good on the wash tub bass, the same friends have been brought to tears (not all from laughter) when i play the "musical" saw

here is what a psaltery looks like .. mine isn't quite that fancy, but it is well built and sounds pretty cool to this old plucking phool

A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

garp_02

No offence and I can't play anything myself but..........when does ledbelly ron stop tuning up and start with the piece?

stog

:) r u sure u mean ron? and not VSZ?

ron's song is above VSZ's youtube 

i particularly liked this..entitled something's missing

ive now enlarged "this" and added the title btw

thx garp :)

garp_02

Sorry............yes lol.

But you know what I meant  ;)

garp_02

And now having listened to Ron's - I'm impressed.

Quite a lot of that wee plucky thing on there too though - or is it a different plucky thing.

I consider myself reasonably well-versed in music but had never heard of, never mind heard a psaltery before today.

Funky Ron, keep it up :)

stog

mandolin?

yes, used in a different way by VSZ :)

who says..." its totally boring and nothing happens - still ain't life like that sometimes."

ron's stuff is great - anyone got a contact email for him ronquixote? -mine's out of date........

socksey

Quotelast Christmas, i found an old toy plucked psaltery made in Milano, Italy, in the attic

This brought back some memories of my childhood.  I remember when I lived in Ann Arbor, MI visiting some friends in the country who had one of those big red barns and one of the daughter's played an instrument and entertained us for the afternoon.  I had forgotten what the instrument was called, but on further investigation, I think it was a zither........same family as the psaltery.  Nice to be reminded of that pleasant afternoon, 60!   :yes:

socksey

"Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back." â€" Will Rogers

verystripeyzebra

ok there some confusion over my youtube clip.... the music is quite obviously my rubbish....

Im_not_gimmeluck

I play guitar, badly.  I'm self taught and tend to pick music which is way above my level.  That said I'm sure I can dig up something that wouldn't be too embarrassing.  Some simple blues on a nylon string guitar would work.  Or I can try some Paul Desmond or AC Jobim.

On a different note my son, who is 14, is quite an exceptional and gifted piano player regardless of age.  He recently got off of a Chopin binge and is totally immersed in Debusy.  I know I've been threatening to post a file of him playing for a while.  It's time I do so, with stog's permission of course.

gimme

stog

avec plairsureeeeee -- aussi some erik satie (he taught debussy)!
bloos is good too!

if you paste in a youtube link like VSZ above or an mp3 link (as above with Ron's "something's missing"

or put the music in myspace and a link to myspace like this
http://www.myspace.com/cidercrazeddrugtakingfool or http://www.myspace.com/stogmuller

dorbel

I'm not a musical fibster in the sense of actually playing an instrument, but I am a music lover and I have a local radio show that goes out twice a week on the Internet. The url is http://www.baywatchonline.org/ and the first show airs on Monday at 1000 with repeats at 1800 and Tuesday 0200 and the second show on Friday at 1000 with repeats at 1800 and Saturday 0200. There's not much on there after about 1965 and you might hear early rock and roll, rockabilly, rythm and blues, soul, hard country, bluegrass, trad jazz, western swing, jump jive, big band swing, gospel, doo wop, boogie woogie and anything else that moves about a bit.