News:

VIP Donors can remain anonymous while still enjoying all the benefits.......

Main Menu

New FIBS Status page

Started by webrunner, March 25, 2004, 11:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webrunner

I have created a new FIBS server status page which checks if several servers are online.
For now it only checks the FIBS webserver and BG server, and my botserver. If anyone else has a server he wants to be added, mail me the url or IP address and portnumber and i will put it up.

Oh yeah.. the page can be found here. I have also put up a link on this sites start page.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

Kari_Grandi

Great service, as usual Eric  :D   :yes:  

tryout

Do you use normal ICMP pings?

If so I'd suggest to also check if the servers are indeed operational, i.e., check on a "200 OK" response for a HEAD request and that the login prompt is presented on port 4321.

If you already do this, then just disregard this.  ;)  
GammonLeague -- Join free Backgammon tournaments
[size=8] [/size]
FIBS TEAM League -- Play Backgammon with friends in a team

webrunner

If you can build it i will implement it.

For now it just does a ping on the specific port.

I have to much to do already. :wacko:

Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

tryout

QuoteIf you can build it i will implement it.
Here you are.  :)
[size=8] [/size]

tryout

Grr, it lost the file path for the attachment during the preview... Here is the file.
[size=8] [/size]

webrunner

Thanks a lot. :yes:

I have implemented your code in the status page.
But the check is really slow (especially the fibs login check) so i left both checks in (ping and login).

If you have anymore ideas or nice code, just let me know. :)
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

tryout

QuoteThanks a lot. :yes:
You're welcome. :)

QuoteI have implemented your code in the status page.
But the check is really slow (especially the fibs login check) so i left both checks in (ping and login).
I've noticed this in my tests, too.  The normal greetings and disclaimer comes right away up to the current date. But the following login prompt seems to take a while to be received or recognized. When I "telnet fibs.com 4321", which actually should be the same, this doesn't happen though.
[size=8] [/size]

debqb1

i login but it times out what do i do?

webrunner

Post in the appropriate forum to begin whith ;)
what software are you using?
do you have a firewall..
what OS?

or in other words: we need more information!
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

Feklhr

Um, I'm not as smart as some of you guys with your pinging lingo and such, but FIBS just crashed big time and the status page showed green. ???
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

webrunner

This can't be true.
The page sends a small signal (ping, like a submarine) to the server an will show the green icon if it is not responding in time. After that it will try to connect like a fibs client, to see if the fibs backgammon server software is actually running.

It could be that you got kicked off by your ISP or that your ISP has trouble reaching the fibs server, while my server can reach it ok.

The last thing could be a cash thing. I mean: it could be that your internet browser saved the page on your harddrive and you are looking at old results.
That's why i always do a refresh (or reload) if i don't trust something.

-_-  
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

burper

This is a great thing, thanks very much!

Improvements:

-how about saving some data each time it is used (limited to a week, and by frequency) so that it could display a chart?

-I understand that (probably) data points only occur when people hit the page. How about adding an hourly as well if you do the above?

-could it also generate ping and traceroute data (perhaps on a separate page so as not to clutter up the primary page) so that people could cut and paste it for Patti? Maybe instructions for people on how to do a ping and traceroute on their own machines too?

-can the code be open sourced and made available to other fibs sites for even more data points?

-it just shows up/down. what about the ping/login time as a measure of lag? People are always asking 'is it just me'?

diane

Yes please - juggler told me how to do the traceroute thing the other day - and despite making a mental note to jot down later how - before i forgot - guess what  :rolleyes:  So an easy guide / permanent record on how to do ping/traceroute would be good.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

webrunner

Windows users here we go:
How to ping:
> Start > Run > Type "command"[Enter] > Type "ping fibs.com"[Enter]

How to do a traceroute:
> Start > Run > Type "command"[Enter] > Type "tracert fibs.com"[Enter]

B)  
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

diane

Thx for that  :rolleyes:
Now - having got that data - what do we do with it?
What is important in all that?  I cant copy and paste the whole thing - and i sure as whatnot aint gonna copy it all out - so what is the jist - the number of stops along the way? - the time it is taking overall?  the variance on the time? what is normal?? (dont go too deep on that one  :) )
Never give up on the things that make you smile

webrunner

I don't know why that information could be important.. there was a question.. and i answered it :)
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

burper

When people are complaining to Patti about lag, she requests that information to help her diagnose what might be the problem.