News:

welcome to Fibsboard! your global moderators are stog (and mrs stog) socksey sixty diane zorba and a wonderful group of individual board moderators ......thx to ALL

Main Menu

Where are they now?

Started by sixty_something, May 22, 2010, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty_something

i've been MIA for almost a year, but now i am back .. even though my name has changed at FIBS to sixtie my preferences and firiends list remained the same .. in the year i have been away over 100 names i had on my friends list are now, like my old nick, gone

as a former TD and social animal around FIBS, i kept a very large friends list (pushing about 700 as i recall) and it was filtered pretty much by good reputation and/or Exp .. hopefully, there are also more than few Villians on my old list that have also disappeared 

anyway, for what it is worth here is a list of nicks no longer registered at FIBS since about May 2009 .. this is based on messages i am getting when i login saying "No information found on user xxxxx" .. feel free to comment if you know anything about any of them .. some, i hear, are now R.I.P.; some are better forgotten; some i already miss

how about you?

Akkam
alexe
Aphrodite
bar_dancer
BigTop
BillyCraven
BillyPilgrim
bookworm
bot_named_sue
breccoheinis
buzzman
caizan
CaptainHurricane
cesarguimaraes
chemicalbob
Chench
cloudwise
cloud_one_four_nine
CowalWindux
CrimeTime
cyril_h
dag
Dartgammon
DingDing
donovanhse
donzbot_IV
doof
dpan
Dylan
esalih
fallingwater
Fridge
Frisbee
furz
gBOT
gBOTadvanced
gBOTbeginner
gBOTcasualplayer
GbotEGOIST
gBOTexpert
gBOTintermediate
gBOTworldclass
gilgamesh
GordonH
Hammond_Leslie
HARINCOZ
HATTER
hitU
humpty
isthisme
I_KIPROS
jablum
Jean_le_Joueur
jmrd
jobow
JokeBot
jozeval
KATO
KayeTwo
koltes
Laredo
Lark
LaughingBear
letsgetiton
leyla
likan
Litoralis
Luddite
Mango_lichi
manilatrash
Mbattled
metropolis
mocca
Mooikees
mramirez
neurino
padski
phiphi
pinocchio
Pipster
psermet
rhettoric
Roland
ROMA_L
ronquixote
rottenrolls
shafai
Sheriff
Shuggie_II
signine
Sinderbox
sixty
sixty_something
strange
Studley
Tequila_Mockingbird
Tickle
toonarmy
toyita
Twisted_Sister
uLi
VaderTime
venini
waterboy
winthorpe
WorstNightmare
wyle_coyote
wyzzz
xinloi
zackg
zakd
Zauberin___
zgur
ZWAAISTAARTMEESTER

:s40:
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

socksey

BillyCraven is gone per suicide.   :cry:  See this:  http://www.fibsboard.com/general-chit-chat/billyc's-grace/

GBots are all gone, too.   :(

sixty_something has returned as sixtie.   :veryhappy:  See this:  See this link:  http://www.fibsboard.com/general-chit-chat/sixty_something/

padski was diane's ex and current for a while, but she has moved to austrailia and I haven't seen padski for a long time.  She may shed some light on this one.   :)

Shuggie shows up once in a blue moon.   :mellow:

wyzzz was very ill last i heard.  He may have left us for good also.   :cry:

That's all I am aware of for the moment.   :)

socksey

"Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once." – Anonymous

jackdaddy

Tom

Quote from: socksey on May 23, 2010, 12:23:49 AM
GBots are all gone, too.   :(

The GBots have been reincarnated as GammonBot* and BlunderBot* (weaker)

tom

diane

Gosh yes, lots of missing names there...

WorstNightmare - been away for a few months for personal reasons, now back as TartanSeeker
Padski - gone, he never enjoyed backgammon  ;)
Shuggie_II was a temporary nick, due to issues with Shuggie - you will more likely see him as shuggie
I think bar_dancer is in as bardancer - the underscore version being a temp one
All donz's playing bots have been gone for ages
Jokebot and quotebot - gone, thankgoodness  :laugh:
Tequila_Mockingbird - doesnt hang around for long when he comes, and picks a new nick each time

Some of the rest are still there, I am sure - cloud_one_four_nine, winthorpe, gilgamesh.

I think a few of those nicks are now in fibs as something else, the personalities are too similar  ;) And as socksey pointed out already - you are back as something else too  :laugh:

Never give up on the things that make you smile

socksey

Quote from: diane on May 24, 2010, 04:01:48 AMI think a few of those nicks are now in fibs as something else, the personalities are too similar  ;)
Many of us have multiple nicks..............myself included.  Sometimes it's just nice to create a different persona, too.   ;)  Variety is the spice of life.  :yes:

socksey

"The sinning is the best part of repentance." - Arab Proverb

diane

Quote from: socksey on May 24, 2010, 06:21:30 AM
Many of us have multiple nicks..............myself included.  

And a lot of us don't, myself included  ;)

But more go for a while, forget their nick / password combo, and come back as something completely different...but somehow familiar  :cool:

ah_clem

Do the accounts go away after a period of time?

My original account (uh_clem) didn't work after I wandered away for several months, and I'm fairly sure that I remembered the password for it.  I assumed it aged out after N days of inactivity; does anybody know if FIBS actually works this way?

Tom

As long as they exist the original password should work.

They will get deleted after a period of inactivity.
Sometimes it is months, other times over a year, I have not idea how long it takes.

tom

sixty_something

back in May, shortly after my return from a year away from FIBS, i compiled a long list of other FIBSters who, like me, had their original nick deleted .. the list, as the one below, comes from folks on my personal Friends List in JavaFIBS who, when i log in, are now being reported with "No information found on user ..."  

since the source is simply my own Friends List, it is NOT comprehensive .. however, since i maintain a very large Friends List for the purpose of tournament promotions, it is a list of once regular FIBSters who met criteria i used to tag folks as "Friends", i.e. Exp, Rep, Rating, and not a phone user .. many of these "Friends" i have never had the chance to play or meet, but wanted to involve in tournament promotions .. many others, i have come to know personally

i was surprised at some of the names that have been deleted since my last post only a few months ago .. maybe you will be too .. maybe Patti needs to explain exactly how this nick deletion process works .. maybe it is getting a little too aggressive .. maybe not

IMO, one of the most unique and valuable attributes of FIBS is the connection we each make with others from around the world .. i find it sad when some very familiar names disappear .. i missed FIBS a lot when i was inactive .. further, i was disheartened when i came back to find my old nick, sixty_something, and all its experience and history was gone .. while the thought never occured to me, i can imagine that a once regular FIBSter might desire to return someday until they find their nick no longer exists .. one can hardly blame them .. it is not a very convincing "Welcome Back" which idealistically would be the true spirit of FIBS

meanwhile, the best i can offer is a line from an old Woody Guthrie song: "So long, it's been good to know you"

Quote from: New "No information found on user ..." -- since 22-May-10
adjutantzz
Admire
august
bigdani
binkie
blaker
christers
CLB
colonial
Danny_Gallagher
Dao
davem
DavidRogers
don
duffy_duck
Frushka
Galactus
Honeygirl_ll
hubble
jeffp
jonasfrid
maceta
minki
netgirl
nielsrock
olta
ParlorBot
patapouf
peter_b
philipmayII
PricklyPear
roy
scramps
shiraz
sillydogz
teyakis
vkela
zakasax
Zonker
e-mail me

sixty_something

i am saddened once again to see the fading away of some FIBS history signaled by the disappearance of a well known nickname, Kari_Grandi .. Kari was a long time FIBSter and tournament organizer .. indeed the long running Friday F3's were, as i recall, his creation .. i also recall many chats with Kari over the fractious nature of FIBS shouts and how over time they erode ones enthusiasm, particularly as a tournament organizer and director, for participating in the worldwide community FIBS represents .. Kari has not died, he has moved on to the world of on-line poker or so i hear, but his departure is a loss .. the dropping of his nickname from the passing parade of FIBSters is something i thought was worth noting

recently, i have been immersing myself in chess again in preparation for continuing play with my grandchildren .. i am really ambivalent about chess which i essentially left because of my love for backgammon many years ago .. when i came back to play backgammon in yesterday's Bago, i found myself almost sickened by the whining and bickering in shouts continuing ad nauseum and provoking one of more to log off in disgust .. i took an absurd cube in my first match and redoubled just so i could get out of the toxic swamp FIBS shouts have become recently

something is rotten in the state of FIBS when a game one loves, people one enjoys, and a community one feels a close connection with turns someone like Kari_Grandi to other pursuits .. maybe i am reading too much of my own feelings and experience into why Kari left .. maybe not .. regardless, "So long, Kari, it's been good to know you" .. moyang and rockfish are other familiar names and once regular tournament players who have moved on

Quote from: New "No information found on user ..." -- since 05-Sep-10
alwaysalady
barrid
dufourstephane
festel
Kari_Grandi
moyang
praenomenpaul
rockfish
slayer
e-mail me

diane

Quote from: sixty_something on October 15, 2010, 07:52:43 AM
the dropping of his nickname from the passing parade of FIBSters is something i thought was worth noting

just so i could get of of the toxic swamp FIBS shouts have become recently

something is rotten in the state of FIBS when a game one loves, people one enjoys, and a community one feels a close connection with turns someone to other pursuits .

People do leave here because it becomes too much...those who are responsible reply 'gag me', so they do not have to address their own childish behaviour. It is sad - as you say, because there is soooo much to like here, it is crazy that it isnt easy.

That said, the internet is full of this behaviour, and more and more resource is being put into understanding why.  Chess sites, gaming sites such as WOW are rife with people who, given no boundaries, run amock like children in a sweet shop, with no apparent social conscience.  It is a fascinating insight into the human condition, and much understanding is coming from it..[and no, I am not referring to the 'social experiment' originally posted on RKGB  ;) ]

Cyberbullying is an everyday term now, and more new terms are coming through to better describe the syndromes affecting those guilty of the bullying.....and yes it is happening right here on fibs..most think they are to old to be upset by it, some wont admit they are bullied because it could be perceived they are weak..well, hey there are people being paid to look at this stuff  ;)

http://au.reachout.com/find/articles/cyberbullying

http://www.coc.edu.au/Site/_documents/ahisaconference-bamfordcyberbullying.pdf

QuoteA 2006 study by UK-based internet market research firm YouGov found that for one in eight young people, cyber-bullying is even worse than physical bullying.

One reason for this is the sheer number of people who can view anything posted online. "It would be bad enough to be cyber-bullied by one kid when nobody else knew about it, but a video seen by hundreds or thousands of your peers could be devastating,"

What we need to do, it seems, is get the parents involved  ;)

QuoteThe right to freedom of speech we have been given by the Constitution is supposed to be based on the right to talk freely about government and petition it without fear of being silenced or punished. The freedom was not meant to include the public insults and harassment that are done with the purpose of destroying someone's life. Unfortunately, right now, Cyberbullying is a big loophole; it needs to be classified as slander and libel.

The problem is that the Internet is a safe haven for bullies because of the anonymity. There is not a more cowardly way to bully someone then from behind a curtain. But parents are the key. Parents need to get involved in helping solve the cyberbullying problem. If parents cared enough about their child being the bully

QuoteCyberbullies can be categorized into four types: The Vengeful Angel, the Power Hungry, the Mean Girls, and the Inadvertant Cyber Bully (or Because I can). Vengeful Angel cases occur when one of the cyber bully's friends are being victimized by another bully. Power Hungry bullies use cyber bullying as a means to try and embarrass or frighten their bigger, more socially acceptable peers. The Mean Girls as the title suggests usually are females. They are classified as the most immature of all cyberbullying types. They write mean stuff about other girls and boys in order to attract more attention to themselves and to uphold their so-called "self-esteem". The Inadvertant Cyber Bully often write stuff to people without taking the time to think about what they are writing or without reflecting on the possible consequences of their actions.

And thanks for the heads up - the passing of that nick, signifying its owners move onwards, is a little sad - but also causes a spot of envy  ;)

RickrInSF

As someone that has been "cyberbullied" from the first day i joined FIBS, i have to agree with 60, it is very sad, and i now play far more games at dailygammon than fibs because of this. I will probably never give up playing on fibs, i like the format better, but i only enter into the shouts when i'm ready to fight.

When i first joined chat rooms and encountered this behavior, i tried to "stay above" it, to ignore it, to "gag" people etc., but that only seemed to make it worse. I think most cyberbullys think of this as a weakness, and i soon found my self harassed by not only the original cyberbully, but all of his friends also. I found that by immeadiately countering any bullying with reason and/or humour was the only way to minimize the attacks on me, they never seem to go away entirely, but it seems that most bullies don't really fight that well and usually end up calling me names and/or swearing. And while they may not give in/go away at that time, i find that the attacks on me are usually less than if i said nothing at all. And if nothing else, i usually gain friends for being able to "stand up" to the bullying.

dorbel

I thought Kari was one of the cyber bullies! He certainly gave me enough shite to be remembered by. There are still a few others about that use the pinprick, the wind-up, the insult and the outright lie to provoke others for their own amusement, but they only amount to some tiny fraction of 1% of fibsters. Funny, the objects of this are advised to gag or turn off shouts entirely, but it should be the abusers who are required to alter their behaviour shouldn't it? I expect they are all mild-mannered Clark Kent IRL. Oh well, I remember a time when shouts was worse than this actually, but then even nostalgia isn't what it was.

sixty_something

the passing parade of FIBS nicknames no longer registered continues as 97 more bite the dust from about a year ago

in shouts today discussion about an old friend, johnwayne, came up .. other familiar names are in my growing list at log-in showing "No information found on user ..." from my Friends list in JavaFIBS .. when i was actively promoting tourneys as the Bloody Mary TD, i had a list of well over 600 "friends" .. many i didn't even know, they just had good Reps and experience .. i thought they might be good tournament players .. when they were on-line, i'd invite them to join us .. others i knew quite well, indeed considered real friends

often folks, like resh_lakish who is now simply resh, are still around, but have abandoned their old nickname for whatever reason .. regardless, i think it is still worth noting the changing landscape of FIBS nicknames

now that i am no longer actively involved as a live tournament TD, my JavaFIBS Friends list will begin shrinking and no longer provide as complete a profile as it probably still does .. in the future, our lists of TPR tournament players will provide that .. someday, we'll all disappear or reappear with a new name .. hopefully, we'll each return with a better game and improved on-line personality, but i suspect neither will really change all that much

c'est la vie only time changes everything, even in FIBSland

Quote from: New "No information found on user ..." -- since 15-Oct-10
adz
Anakin
Antaeus
badger
bantam
barrycrooks
bart
bat
bearface
bigunit
blitzxz
bognar
Braveheartsix
bthax
burper
cboggs
Centu
cgmbet
coriend
Cricketer
DuckandDive
einstein
esmeralda
Feklhr
fibs
fivers
FivesAndSevens
Flara
FlorianGeyer
fooey
frederick
free_gull
Giovanna
GrandRapidsDave
Grutelbit
harzard____
Hooner
iana_ro
Jack_Shit
johnb
johnwayne
jonesyjt
jukins
kiith
kiscokid
kleine_meid
LeoneDaMan
MakeMe
mimbing
mleighn
mookie
Moony
mOOse
morits
mrbond
nicky
Nobi
nozitall
onion
osman
paf
papillon
PlayingTwoDie
Pryda_III
Ray
resh_lakish
ricardofeldman
Rinny
robweg
RomeoBravo
saleeby
Schnecke
Schwarzkopf
Shadowdancer
soldan
Stanasko
Steppenpuppy
strijka
SuperNovice
sweet_honeyy
TheDumbSmartGuy
TheHawk
theruss
trictrac
Trilli
Trillizie
tsina
twrecked
Victoria
weedshower
wood
YinYangMan
Zebragal
zonga
Zozimus
__O__
__RHODEISLAND__US

e-mail me

socksey

I see some on your list who are still active users and at least one who died, Anakin.   :ohmy:

socksey

To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeaatable. - Helen Keller

sixty_something

socks, i think those you think are still active may have a slightly different spelling for their active nickname, but i am not sure .. i am sure that on log-in, FIBS is telling me that there is "No information found on user ..." for these nicknames .. generally, that means the nickname is no longer in the system
e-mail me

diane

Some are still active with a different nick, I think was meant.  I am fairly certain __RHODEISLAND__US is still amongst us, for example...as __RHODEISLAND__USA  :laugh:
[was that a copy and paste error to the friends list?]

Trilli / Triilizie is one fibster - still here with a completely different nick...Jack_Shit, jonesyjt, PlayingTwoDie other definite examples..I am very sure there are heaps more.

Fibsters seem to me to rarely actually leave, more just get their haircut and a makeover  ;)

Feklhr is gone from FIBs - being very well, and much too busy with an actual life  ;) I sent her a facebook message the first time FIBs told me the nick was gone..it made me a bit sad...I dont think it is final exit - but I think it is long term.

Floringeyer and Flara were bots from Geissenpeter..banned for bad behaviour..[I think] kleine_meid another bot...cassandra I think...

ok..going bog eyed staring at that now  ;)

papillon

papillon is still alive and well, she just doesn't play backgammon online anymore and is living a better life because of that.  Obviously, I still haven't flushed FIBS completely out of my system because I do check out Fibsboard from time to time just to see what's going on. :-)
"If nothing in the world ever changed, there wouldn't be butterflies."  ~~Unknown

KissMyAss

Welcome back to the one who slid in and out again today.   

You have been missed my friend, and it's great to see you back!   

Hugs
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

sixty_something

I seem to do this annually now when i return from a long absence myself .. since last October, another 72 nicks have disappeared from my JavaFIBS friends list

at log-in these nicknames show up with "No information found on user ..." in my System window .. when i was actively promoting tourneys as the Bloody Mary TD, i had a list of well over 600 "friends" .. many i didn't even know, they just had good Reps and experience .. i thought they might be good tournament players .. when they were on-line, i'd invite them to join us .. others i knew quite well from shouts, tournament play or regular chats .. some, i considered real friends, as real as virtual friends can be

now that i am no longer actively involved as a live tournament TD, my JavaFIBS Friends list has begun shrinking .. it no longer provides as complete a profile as it probably once did .. in the future, our lists of TPR tournament players may provide that for tournament players .. someday, we'll all disappear or reappear with a new name or not

regardless, i think it is still worth noting the changing landscape of FIBS nicknames

so, here is my most recent list of the disappeared .. i've highlighted folks that i know/knew well either personally,as a TD or just recognize from them being frequently on-line .. i know that some have returned under the same or different name .. for example, johnwayne, dropped on an earlier list is back with the same name .. csg is resh by yet another name .. some are doing fine just no longer active at FIBS --  RickInSF very graciously hosted me on Memorial Day weekend when i visited San Francisco .. i spoke to spanka_claus recently on the telephone .. others, i miss .. some i don't .. regardless, i hope they are all doing well

Quote from: *** No information found on this user ...
Ajax_the_Lesser
alef
antigoni
autumn
Avalon
a_hot_physicist
BackgaMother
BANQUE
blottie
boilermaker
CandyGirl
cassandra
csg
DaKid
der_schreck
deuce
DONJB
donzabackgame
EchoSierra
effendis
factotum
filos
gammontaler
ginnytonic
goodfgroove
GrillInstructor
Gunslinger
Hades
HighHopes
higonefive
jackell
javiator
jean_fatale
Jferret
jodvm
Kirinia
krautlover
kthulin
ladysusan
lollilalla
migaloo
mradica
NIHolympic
NinePointNinja
Noah
oddsR
oldreddog
palladin
Peyo
pipkicker
PortWine
rab
rdd
RickrInSF
samirah
silversufer
skeg
spanka_claus
stonedcow
sunshine
TARBABY
Tide
Tim
toft
Trilobite
trotteur
ustarz
ves
watchman
wims
wood
yonay

BTW, after pruning, my friends list is now down to about 460
e-mail me

socksey

Autumn and ginnytonic are one and the same.  I heard she was ill, but have no confirmation on that.  NiHolympic is now found on gridgammon as rebbler and did, announce his leaving of Fibs.  Donzabackgame is donzaemon who is still on Fibs. 

socksey

I read part of it all the way through. ~ Samuel Goldwyn

moonshadow

alef is the former host of fibsboard. He had forgotten his password so started a new nick, which I forgot, but he doesn't play online much now.

higonefive plays at Grid.

RickrInSF left FIBS after the Great Purge and occasionally plays at Grid.

Watchman was obliterated by patti due to inim's claim of robot manipulation or something like that.

diane

Quote from: moonshadow on October 26, 2012, 02:57:09 AMalef is the former host of fibsboard. He had forgotten his password so started a new nick, which I forgot, but he doesn't play online much now.

I mostly don't play this game..looking back isnt much my style  ;) But before a million people correct you..alef didn't host fibsboard..webrunner did..alef was just an interested bystander for a good few years  :)

socksey

Quote from: moonshadow on October 26, 2012, 02:57:09 AM
alef is the former host of fibsboard. He had forgotten his password so started a new nick, which I forgot, but he doesn't play online much now.

The new nick for alef was dropper.

socksey

Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it. ~ Confucius