News:

Play our  New Fibsboard Position of the Week --> perhaps give your comments/reasons thx..here's the link  http://www.fibsboard.com/position-of-the-week/

Main Menu

BANNED FROM SHOUTING

Started by garp_02, November 04, 2010, 03:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty_something

Quote from: diane on April 03, 2011, 09:37:26 PM
Has anyone taken them down now - because I really cant find them anywhere - not even in 'the bin'???

diane, i used REMOVE to delete them .. i couldn't remember if that was the correct procedure, but they were cleverly disguised spam with embedded external links to G-d knows what .. so, unless stog zapped them forever, the should be in the removed post bin

the Bloody Mary thread pops up just once a week after a tourney, like others .. however, i agree when a post rolls off the most recent list it can sometimes be hard to find unless you know where to look
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

moonshadow123

Quote from: sixty_something on April 03, 2011, 01:11:23 PM
moonshadow, we can always use help, as moderators and as TD's .. clearly, you have a passion for all fings FIBS and the game .. have you considered joining us?

Sorry, that's not for me.

of course, i have no power to appoint or annoint anyone .. even my attempts at being a good Bloody Mary Czar are suspect at best, but i do the best i can .. i do know this, the zoo needs all the zookeepers we can muster

You do fine. Just make sure you got a high fence around the menagerie.

hm, why does something someone said about giving matches to a pyromaniac when you ask him or her to guard the house come to mind? :lol:

No, you do not want to see moon unleashed.

regardless, the nice thing about virtual houses,l zoos, and communities is that the houses don't actually burn down, the animals seldom leave, and the road goes on forever, the party never ends

Very adroit. A good point. However, I fear this may be off topic and perhaps should be moved to the philosophy thread where Prof. Pck can give us some deep and trenchant insights on the nature of reality from Wittgenstein's perspective. You know, a virtual lecture.

gaspar

Why cant garp et al. understand that patti runs fibs for free and having to deal with these issues is such a waste of her time.   Garp stop comparing your behaviour to everyone else's and give me a break with the "why do other people who are worse than me get away with it..."  complaint...it's petulant and immature.   just respect the person who spends her free time giving us a place to play backgammon.  besides patti has told you that you can respect rules that "most " of the other players live by well enough each day , and leave it at that. 

diane

Quote from: gaspar on April 06, 2011, 06:16:43 PM
Why cant garp et al. understand that patti runs fibs for free and having to deal with these issues is such a waste of her time.   

The start of this thread is quite old..and garp has got that now I think...he is mostly silent, except for the fun stuff now  ;) The thread was ressurected later when more people got silenced.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

sixty_something

Quote from: diane on April 03, 2011, 09:51:12 AM
Serious now..what saddens me is not losing those who wish to make fibs 'interesting' by creating drama and filling a void in their life which only constant battling will do for them, but losing those 'thin skinned real players'.

The ones I met in vegas, who learned to play on fibs many years ago - and left because of the nastiness. The ones who left because you cannot run a tournament around here without someone making it unplayable.

The others I have met in various countries, who regard FIBs as some sort of dirty secret and something to be ashamed of, because it makes all bg players look bad.

The Euro bg parties still go ahead - but without the association with FIBs -because those players all got too fed up with the childishnes and nastiness of the place.

Kit Woolsey puts the money into the hardware, Patti spends huge amounts of time administering this place - do you think they do that for as many as perhaps 10 or 12 players to fight, argue and gang up on anyone new??

It is the first place new people find when they google backgammon online, it should be a great positive experience, where they meet new players, make friends and learn how to improve their play.

Do you think it is that right now?? Think of the BAGO tournament the other day - what a farce. All so some people can have a bit of a thrill.  

The trouble makers losing some ability to cause trouble does not sadden me at all - I rejoice..it is a step in the right direction.

diane, thanks for that perspective .. you too, KDP .. you both raise some very valid points and make me think (always a dangerous thing)

at FICS (First Internet Chess Server), the moderators are numerous, very active, and will crack down on abusers in a heartbeat .. the atmosphere is very different that at FIBS, just as the two games are very different .. FIBS shouts, IMO, reflect the very social game that backgammon is especially when compared to chess .. however, we can be social and still be civil .. FICS is a very strong community, just not nearly as raucous, but i have yet to make a single friend there compared to the many folks i have come to know and value as friends here at FIBS

a Houston based organization with which i have become involved is called The Institute for Civility - www.instituteforcivility.org .. they address problems in congress, schools, local politics and individual relationships with positive results .. the Institute founders define civility as social engagement in which members are "caring and claiming ones identity, needs and beliefs without degrading someone else in the process"

at FIBS, we see a whole lot of folks caring and claiming an identity, each with unique and strong needs and beliefs .. unfortunately, we struggle with a lot of what appears to be degrading behaviour as well

i'm not suggesting any solutions, just noting that the issues with which we are currently struggling are not unique to us at FIBS, collectively or individually .. harping about the behaviour of one person or another misses that point completely .. we are but a microcosm and reflection of what happens in the real world

for me, FIBS as a "dirty little secret" also hits home .. i've mentioned my frustration at not feeling comfortable in inviting my grandson or even adult children to join me at FIBS for a game of backgammon .. i wouldn't hesitate to invite my grandson to play chess at FICS, but he seems to have lost his interest in chess .. today, he spends his game time, according to his mother, playing games on-line with his PlayStation .. while i am unsure of what games he is playing, i doubt they are any different from games teenage boys have played for generations, in other words violence based

chess and backgammon are fundamentally violence based games as well, just not as visual as modern HD graphic simulation games with bombs, bullets, and bloodshed .. regardless, i'd feel a lot more comfortable about the world my grandchildren will live in were i were playing chess and backgammon with them .. instead, i sit on the sideline watching young boys having fun using the simulation tools similar to those the military uses to train soldiers to be better killers; as bad or worse, IMO, was the news recently that a good gift for a granddaughter would be "anything Barbie" -- oey vey

anyway, that has noting to do with anything, just my thoughts provoked by diane's comments -- i warned you that getting me to start thinking is dangerous  :wacko:

A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

garp_02

Thank you, Diane,  for pointing out that this thread was started many moons ago.

I have recently realised that it is not worth the hassle, particularly on the evening of 22nd March, when I suffered a heart-attack.

Now, I am in no way looking for sympathy, just pointing out that when something like that happens to you it puts the whole thing into perspective....bickering, petty squabbling etc etc somehow seem less important.

Have fun and play nice.

socksey

Quite right, garp.   ;)  Wishing you a speedy recovery!   :thumbsup2:

socksey

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras

diane

Quote from: garp_02 on April 08, 2011, 12:10:36 PM
I have recently realised that it is not worth the hassle, particularly on the evening of 22nd March, when I suffered a heart-attack.

You never mentioned...I am so sorry to hear that - it happens to all the wrong people.

I hope you fully recover - laugh my friend, laugh often and with all your heart - it clears the negative energy.

You are right - and I needed to hear it today, of all days...trivia - all of it.

socksey

Quote from: sixty_something on April 04, 2011, 01:46:01 AM
the Bloody Mary thread pops up just once a week after a tourney, like others .. however, i agree when a post rolls off the most recent list it can sometimes be hard to find unless you know where to look

I'm in the habit of placing the threads I don't want to lose on my "favorite's list" within a category of "fibsboard", then I always have a handy short list to choose from.   :yes: 

socksey

"When women go wrong, men go right after them."- Mae West

vegasvic

Garp ,
Did you find jesus after your heart operation ?
from reading your shouts and diane's all the asskissing going on with patti :)

what was it i read that you do not or did not ever asked patti to shoutban anyone ? maybe you should  re read your bitching in here .

and the answer to you was from patti in this FORM !! 

"garp, you know exactly why you're not allowed to shout and what the conditions are for you getting your shouts back.  The fact is that you've been unwilling to agree not to be a jackass on FIBS"

for a transformation as you have gone thru it must be GOD!!

NIHILIST

Gee, garp, when I read about your heart attack I couldn't get to sleep for at least 5 minutes. The tragedy is that it didn't leave you speechless.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

garp_02

Hey Victor.....my man!

How the Hell are you? Haven't heard from you in ages.

When was the last time?  Must have been somewhere around the time you were asking all your 'buddies' to withdraw their vouches for me.........

Anyway, I have no idea why you chose to bring this up - possibly stopped taking the meds?

But since you ask, I will try to answer as honestly and openly as I can.

After I had my coronary artery procedure I didn't find God - because there is no God - certainly not the one worshipped by the Abrahamic faiths. I can't put it any simpler than that.

What I did realise though, my friend, is that there are much more important things in life than making a dick of yourself in little, insignificant chat rooms, or holding petty grievances against people who do choose to make dicks of themselves in little, insignificant chat rooms.

With regards to Patti - I also came to the realisation that Fibs belongs to Patti - she owns it and, therefore, makes the rules. You can either accept her rules, or moan about them forever, or #### off and play somewhere else. There is no point trying to change things if Patti doesn't want them to change. So I chose to accept that, because I like playing on Fibs - especially in FLG.

I don't recall saying I never asked for anyone to be banned from shouts but if you can drag up some quote I said, I will be happy to accept that.

Kind regards,

Garp

garp_02

I think that shows everyone who didn't already know, exactly what kind of person you are Bob.

diane

Clearly...they haven't 'gone yet'... ;)

vegasvic

did not like my reply diane ?

stog

PersianLord

QuoteAfter I had my coronary artery procedure I didn't find God - because there is no God - certainly not the one worshipped by the Abrahamic faiths. I can't put it any simpler than that.

QuoteWith regards to Patti - I also came to the realisation that Fibs belongs to Patti - she owns it and, therefore, makes the rules. You can either accept her rules, or moan about them forever, or #### off and play somewhere else. There is no point trying to change things if Patti doesn't want them to change. So I chose to accept that, because I like playing on Fibs - especially in FLG.

Seems that you've just found your God.

PL
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K