News:

click the random photo on the front page to go directly to the forum

Main Menu

Backgammon Checkers

Started by SYAWEDIS, November 05, 2010, 10:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SYAWEDIS

Hey everyone,

I just got some backgammon checkers made and wanted to share them with you, and maybe get some feedback. They are fairly durable, unless you drop them on concrete or something equally hard. Also, they can chip if you hit them very hard against each other. But they turned out beautiful, and they have a nice "heft" to them. Dimensions: 1.75" x 5/16"

Flash

No Flash

Does anyone think they would enjoy playing with these?

Nathan

socksey

Yes!   :thumbsup2:  When I see these, I immediately thought of Elton John.   :laugh:  I don't know why, but they are lovely!   :yes:

socksey

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing. - Oscar Wilde

SYAWEDIS

Thanks socksey.  :)  And I am not Elton John :laugh: But you may be right in a way that it may take an eccentric person to purchase these.  :laugh:

SYAWEDIS

I think I just called myself Odd,  :laugh:

ah_clem

Quote from: SYAWEDIS on November 05, 2010, 10:38:45 PM

Does anyone think they would enjoy playing with these?

Sure, as long as I'm winning.  (c:

SYAWEDIS

Quote from: ah_clem on November 10, 2010, 11:54:04 PM
Sure, as long as I'm winning.  (c:
You may need to win to afford these!

I have more colors coming, should be here any day :D I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder, haha.

I think my next step will be making a matching leather board.

SYAWEDIS

Does anyone have any color combination ideas (for the board)?  Something that suits the champagne and black checker. I was thinking yellow and black perhaps?

socksey

Metalic gold and black would be nice!   :)

socksey

"I hate the noise and hurry inseparable from great Estates and Titles, and look upon both as blessings that ought only to be given to fools, for 'Tis only to them that they are blessings." - Lady Mary Wortley Montagu born in 1689

SYAWEDIS

Gold and Black would be a nice combo, very elegant.  I suppose there aren't many options for black / yellowy checkers.

I have more checkers coming, and was considering putting some on ebay. How do you think these will compare to the Bakelite checkers?

SYAWEDIS

Hi everyone, hope you all enjoyed the holidays and wish you all a happy new year!

Small update - I got another set of checkers, this time with a finger bowl, and even though the orange color was supposed to be red I love these very much!

I don't know where else to post these pics, so I thought I'd share right here in your forum :)

enjoy!

socksey

Wow!   :thumbsup2:  Can't wait to see the board!   :veryhappy:

socksey

You have to count on living every single day in a way you believe will make you feel good. - Jane Seymour

SYAWEDIS

Quote from: socksey on January 06, 2011, 10:19:56 AM
Wow!   :thumbsup2:  Can't wait to see the board!   :veryhappy:

socksey

I had been discouraged for a while, but after receiving the checkers and my leather samples in the same day, I am inspired again! Hopefully someday soon I will have a board to show off :)

maria

Quote from: SYAWEDIS on January 06, 2011, 07:56:57 AM

Small update - I got another set of checkers, this time with a finger bowl, and even though the orange color was supposed to be red I love these very much!

Curious, what is the finger bowl for?

SYAWEDIS

Quote from: maria on January 07, 2011, 10:41:10 AM
Curious, what is the finger bowl for?

The finger bowl is a groove for your finger, so you can move the checkers more easily. It also serves a decorative purpose, allowing more light to go through.

One side is still flat, so I can flip them over and use the flat side if I want to.

Nathan

SYAWEDIS

I'm going to get a Cube made for my Blue and Orange (soon to be red) Checkers, but I'm having a hard time deciding on color.

So far what I'm thinking is; 1) Smokey Cube with White writing 2) Black Cube with White writing 3) Clear Cube with Black writing. 4) Light Blue Cube with Black or White writing

If anyone has any comments on either of those combinations, or have a combination of your own that you think would look good I'd love your feedback!

socksey

Clear cube with black writing would be most sensible.   :mellow:  It would pick up the colors of any tiles you are using.   :smile:

socksey

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

SYAWEDIS

I like the way you think, socksey.

On a side note, I'm in the process of making my Jig for the backgammon board itself, so hopefully I'll have a board to show off soon!

SYAWEDIS

Does anyone know where I can get buy precision dice right from the manufacturer?

I can't come up with anything on google search, hoping someone may have some insight.

Thanks,
Nathan

Tomawaky

Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

SYAWEDIS

RobertFontaine

While I have often purchased from Carol Joy the checkers at bgshop have often appealed to me.
I ended up putting together a set of nice old bakelite chips from careful ebay purchasing

SYAWEDIS

I got some more checkers in the mail today!

Three new colors are: Red, White, and Smokey.

enjoy!

SYAWEDIS

Hello everyone,

No board yet, barely any progress on it as a matter of fact, just wanted to update the pictures to do more justice to the chips!

woodhoe

I am looking for a wholesale supplier of backgammon checkers for the travel sets I make, after days of searching online, I can find plenty of retailers but no manufacturers/wholesalers. Any ideas would be much appreciated

oldegrieze

Quote from: SYAWEDIS on January 28, 2011, 10:47:29 PM
I got some more checkers in the mail today!

Three new colors are: Red, White, and Smokey.

enjoy!

Where can i buy these checkers????

CamKrist

Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
I'm on Twitter and my essay

dorbel

The problem with these checkers are that they are very shallow, so you will find that in practice you will get a lot of cocked dice when a die rides up onto the checkers.