News:

VIP Donors can remain anonymous while still enjoying all the benefits.......

Main Menu

Rick's pics

Started by RickrInSF, April 08, 2011, 03:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickrInSF

Night shot of the most famous painted ladies in San Francisco

RickrInSF

The Northern Ridge Trail on Angel Island near San Francisco

diane

Thanks for putting my 'hobbit' picture back  ;)  I do love this one.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

RickrInSF

I titled it "Pixie Path" becuz of your comments ;)

diane

RickrInSF

Oak tree near the top of Angel Island

RickrInSF

Painted Ladies getting sun.

RickrInSF

Another northern ridge trail shot on Angel Island.

susiehaynes

wow! the pictures are so fabulous. :cool:
i love that night shot in San Francisco :wub:

RickrInSF

One of my favorite shots - "Shadow Girl" - this is a 30 sec exposure, the girl stopped at red light for about 12 secs of it. The vibration from the trucks gives the hotel and sky a soft look. Van Ness Ave & Broadway, SF.

RickrInSF

"Color of Angel Island"

RickrInSF

Another night shot, this one at Montgomery and Sacramento.

RickrInSF

sixty_something

ah man, you're killing me .. i have visited Yosimite four times (two on honeymoons, but that is another story),  yet i have never seen the full north face of Half Dome before .. each visit, always during winter months, fog shrouded it from view .. worse, it has been way too long since i visited SF .. you could take a picture of a homeless guy sleeping under a bridge and i would find that appealing. even attractive

keep up the good work, pal, but keep a spot on your sofa available for me  :thumbsup2:
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

RickrInSF

Yosemite was beautiful, missed the fraggle ice by a day, but i guess i shouldn't complain with scenery like this. "Cathedral Spires" When you enter the "loop", you are greeted by El Capitan and

sixty_something

is that Columbia Point about midway up the Spires?

sure looks like it .. i hiked up there once on one of those honeymoons .. we flatlanders were somewhat exhausted by the hike .. then we met a robust group of Scandanavians with full backpacking gear along with skis .. they were just coming down after a cross country ski trip of several days around the Hetcha Hetcha (?) reservoir in the high country above the valley .. sure made me feel like a tourist

thanks again for triggering the memories of Yosimite Valley
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

diane

I definitely need to crack on with these photgraphy lessons..I cant even get that piccy on my screen, let alone fathom how you took it!!

Any chance you would share some technical details on this one?

It is certainly a picture which conveys the scale of that rockface.

RickrInSF

Diane,
 not sure what size monitor you have, i did make that pic too large for the screen, it seems the type of photo you should have to scroll up/down to see the whole thing ;)
 as for hints on how to use your camera, i will start with the easiest (for me), scenery shots - this is pretty easy to do, but most often a tripod is required. Your iso controls how sensitive your camera is to light, the lower the number (usually starts at iso 100, but some camera's go lower), is the least sensitive to light, but what more important to scenery shots is that iso 100 has the best quality, so always shoot scenery shots at iso 100 (or lower if you can). The second thing is your aperture, or f stop, this controls how much light you get through the lens, the higher the number, the less light you get (the f stop number is actually a fraction, the 1/ is just left off). The affect the f stop has on your picture is depth of focus. If you want to take a flower picture with background blurred, you open your f stop up to its max (lowest number), for scenery shots, you want the greatest depth of focus you can get, so you want the highest f stop number you can get.
 now, if your camera is on a tripod, all you do is set your shutter speed to get the desired exposure (usually point to sky), if you are doing it hand held, you will usually have to give up something (iso or f stop) in order to shoot fast enough not to blur. good hint here: always check your histogram, learn what it looks like over exposed, under exposed and best

RickrInSF

No, that was not Columbia Rock on the spires. We hiked the Upper Yosemite Fall Trail up to the view point for the fall, so we passed Columbia Point on the way, the first pic (Half Dome, with a peek view of North Dome) is from there. This shot is a wide angle from there

this was on the trail up

this was as far as we got, it was worth it, the trail continues to the top of the fall, we decided to save that for another day, lol

RickrInSF

somewhere near Lower Yosemite Fall

RickrInSF

California line is down for construction.

RickrInSF

another one from Yosemite, this is the Merced River.

RickrInSF

Another Half Dome shot, this from the Upper Yosemite Falls Trail