News:

**Inspired by recurrent discussions in FIBS shouts on issues concerning science and consciousness, we have introduced an ISP Board on Fibsboard.com ...a space set aside for more considered esoteric meanderings on ideas science and philosophy --- "concept formation and elucidation" .....> the philosophy/physiology/ structure and function of a fibster or fibsboarder!
take a look at http://www.fibsboard.com/ideas-science-and-philosophy/

Main Menu

Game 2, move 0: herd 4-3

Started by diane, May 23, 2011, 09:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

Position ID: 4HPwATDgc/ABMA
Match ID: cImxAAAACAAA

So game two gets under way...which opening - my standard 4-3 opening, or everyone else's  ;)

Never give up on the things that make you smile

ah_clem

Spoiler

Opening rolls are very well analyzed with lots of rollouts to peruse. so you might as well just remember them. In particular, the 4-3 opening has two candidates that are worth considering: D (bring down two from the midpoint) and Z (reverse split - 24/21 13/9).  They are very close, and either is playable, but D wins more gammons, so I'll go for that here.

S (the normal split 24/20 13/10) lags behind D and Z; it's not a blunder, but it gives up ~.02 equity, and since this is a well known fact there's no good reason to  play it. The main problem with it is that your opponent will attack the split checker and the attack is stronger on the 20 than on the 21.  Better to play the thematically similar Z if that's the sort of game you want.

The remaining move, U (move both back checkers up),  is very close at  at DMP and  worth considering, but not here at quasi-gammon-go.

[close]

Krazula

Spoiler
I always do 24/20  13/10 with this opening roll. I remember reading that this is superior to 24/21  13/9, but now that I look again I see what ah_clem says is true, that the rollouts now preffer the reverse split over my regular split. 24/20 13/10, 24/21 13/9, and 13/10 13/9 all are about equal though. I still voted for 24/20 13/10 because it is  the play I'm most familiar with.
[close]

diane

Oh gosh...Z isnt just my fav opening with this roll then  ;)
Never give up on the things that make you smile