News:

we need 2 or 3 small donations a month, and an ad or 2 each month, consistently over the year, to keep the board going.....http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

FIBS 20th

Started by Tom, July 08, 2012, 02:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

On Thursday FIBS.com tweeted https://twitter.com/FIBSdotcom/
:feest005:
Quote from: twitter/FIBS.comFIBS will celebrate its 20th birthday on July 19 of this year. How will you celebrate?
It should be no surprise that MY first reaction was "Have a Tourney!" :shocking:

Patti is also graciously donating a FIBS T Shirt!

Then I got thinking (dangerous, I know) let's get a whole bunch of prizes and make it a week of winning!

We can have prizes (TBD) for the weekly winner of the TPR and for each tourney series, like the Kiwi, Tampa 7's
and the daily 3/5's.

The best options I have found are at FlintBG http://www.flintbg.com/boutique.html#anchor6851622

If you would like to contribute anything, let me know!

They should be small, so I can ship them cheaply and easily. Some prizes will be going to Europe and Australia!

Tom

Tom

There are 26 weekly tourneys, could we possibly get enough prizes to have one prize for each tourney?

That would be *very* cool!

Tom

diane

Sounds good - I will make a donation - we will talk :-)
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Tom

Quote from: diane on July 08, 2012, 09:21:46 PM
Sounds good - I will make a donation - we will talk :-)

We talked and Diane had a GREAT IDEA!

If anyone who wants to make a donation contacts me I will make a list in the first post of what has been offered.

You can be named or anonymous, gifts can be $5, $20 or equal share up to $50. Any amount will help!
Honestly I would rather have 20 x $5 donations than 2 or 3 $50 donations, the more people involved the better.

Including shipping we will need about $350 I think. I am hoping to get the key rings at a slight discount (26, one for each tourney)
and I would like to engrave them "FIBS 20th" if possible.

Tom

Tom

• Patti an Original FIBS T Shirt - Blue L or XL
  • Carol Joy Cole (Flint BG) Backgammon T Shirt, size TBD
  • Tom $50 (Mostly Shipping costs)
  • Diane Equal Share up to $70

The more that are in, the less each person needs to send.

Even $5 helps a LOT!

To be added just PM me and I will be happy to add you by name or anonymously.

When the time comes I will let you know how much to send (paypal) where.

I can get these key rings for $10 each, stamped "FIBS 20th" and I really like them!

Tom

diane

They are nice for a small commemorative gift - for sure :-)

Tom

New updated list

• Patti an Original FIBS T Shirt - Blue L or XL Thanks!
  • Carol Joy Cole (Flint BG) Backgammon T Shirt, size TBD Thanks!
  • Tom $50 $70
  • Diane Equal Share up to $70 Thanks!
  • anonymous - 501 Essential BG Problems by Bill Robertie Thanks!
  • jeeves - up to $20 $30 ! Thanks!
  • manxcat - Patti and Kit's book "52 great backgammon tips" Thanks!
  • KissMyAss - $30 (*) Thanks (*)
  • Toado - $5 Thanks!
  • Linus - $10 Thanks!!
  • wildeman - $20 Thanks!
  • sixtie - $20 Thanks!
  • saukriver - 5 copies "Backgammon for Blood" Thanks!

That is $255, leaves $5 for all 26 Tourneys!!!

The more that are in, the less each person needs to send.

$5 will finish us off!

To be added just PM me and I will be happy to add you by name or anonymously.

When the time comes I will let you know how much to send (paypal) where.

Tom

KissMyAss

I'll happily jump in on this.  I really want one without having to go hard out trying to win a tourney, so I'll pay for one for me, on top of what I donate.  :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

manxcat

Tom, check into drop shipping from the supplier, so you are not paying for shipping twice. Perhaps those who donate other items will ship, themselves, as well. A Euro donor could ship within Europe, USA within USA, to lower shipping costs.
I will donate, and ship to the winner,  Patti and Kit's book "52 great backgammon tips"
:yes:
I would rather be villified for doing the right thing, than be praised for doing the wrong thing. -unknown, very likely it was me.

Tom

Quote from: manxcat on July 10, 2012, 05:56:04 PM
Tom, check into drop shipping from the supplier, so you are not paying for shipping twice. Perhaps those who donate other items will ship, themselves, as well. A Euro donor could ship within Europe, USA within USA, to lower shipping costs.
I will donate, and ship to the winner,  Patti and Kit's book "52 great backgammon tips"
:yes:

Thanks!

I can ship first class within the USA for $1-$2, most stores the shipping starts at $5, and yes I am planning on shipping a single box to various countries. Once we know who gets what, I am sure I can ship to one winner who can ship the others out locally!

This brings up another thought I was having, how to let players pick their prizes...

Maybe let the donor say which tourney they want the prize for...

Keep THOSE PRIZES COMING!!!

Tom

Tom

Thanks to jeeves and KissMyAss!

We only need 5 people to offer $20 each and we have enough to get all 26 key chains!

Tourneys start Monday with the "Week In" tourney!

Ok I'll kick in another $20 to match Diane's contribution!

Now we only need 4 more people to offer $20

tom

KissMyAss

Woohoo Jeeves!   Awesome darlin! 

Now i know there's a lot of you out there who can afford more than a broke solo mother on frig all.....    I challenge my Kiwi tourney regs to match or better me!   Don't make me have to threaten the boobage removal!    Cos I'll do it..... 

SAVE THE BOOBAGE!!

Hugs
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

Tom

Quote from: KissMyAss on July 12, 2012, 07:08:27 AM
Now i know there's a lot of you out there who can afford more than a broke solo mother on frig all.....    I challenge my Kiwi tourney regs to match or better me!   Don't make me have to threaten the boobage removal!    Cos I'll do it..... 

SAVE THE BOOBAGE!!

I fear we may lose the boobage today!

tom

captainmubbers

Quote from: Tom on July 14, 2012, 01:03:38 PM
I fear we may lose the boobage today!

tom

Faints with shock    :ohmy:
Riding on a high and windy day

Tom

Quote from: captainmubbers on July 14, 2012, 07:39:07 PM
Faints with shock    :ohmy:

When you fainted did you happen to drop $5 into your paypal?

Hey a man can try!!!

tom

garp_02

Can we finish the FibstyTen tourney before we consider starting new ones?  :sleep:

Tom

Quote from: garp_02 on July 14, 2012, 10:44:36 PM
Can we finish the FibstyTen tourney before we consider starting new ones?  :sleep:

We're not starting a new tourney, we are just giving away prizes next week to the 26 weekly tourneys that we already have.

Tom

Tom

I would like to thank everyone for their donations!

This is going to be a fun (crazy) week!

It turns out that we ended up with 7 books donated, so each daily TPR winner will receive a book!
So EVERYONE better play them ALL!!! :)

The winner of each tourney will be able to receive a BG Key Chain that is stamped "FIBS 20TH"

In the likely event that someone wins more than one tourney, they will have the option of offering their key ring to the runner up,
if the runner up has one already then the key ring will go to the player that was the runner up when they got their key ring.
This is so that it would be possible for a Monday/etc runner up to get a key ring.

Here is a list of the other prizes when how they are earned:

• Original FIBS T Shirt - Winner of Thur3/5 (FIBS 20th Birthday)
  • 52 great backgammon tips by Patti and Kit - TPR Winner Monday
  • Backgammon For Blood - TPR Winner Tuesday
  • Backgammon For Blood - TPR Winner Wednesday
  • Backgammon For Blood - TPR Winner Thursday
  • 501 Essential BG Problems by Bill Robertie - TPR Winner Friday
  • Backgammon For Blood - TPR Winner Saturday
  • Backgammon For Blood - TPR Winner Sunday
  • Backgammon T Shirt (BG in 7 languages) from Flint BG - TPR Winner of the week

The T Shirt winners will need to give me their size preference as well.

I really wanted a nicer prize for the TPR Winner of the Week, I have a few unanswered emails, so there is hope :)
Suakriver may send the BG For blood books from Amazon.
So if there is a Great Book you would be willing to send that may be a reasonable way, especially for the Amazon Prime members (free shipping)

If YOU have something that would be fitting please let me know!!

I may revise this list slightly if there is an obvious blunder in my thinking...

Tom

manxcat

Good plan for the multi winners Tom...
I would rather be villified for doing the right thing, than be praised for doing the wrong thing. -unknown, very likely it was me.

manxcat

UHH what is TPR please?

diane

Tournament Player Ranking..been running for 1.5 years - myself, aviator and sixtie did it manually last year.

http://www.fibsboard.com/tourneybot-results/daily-tpr-news!/msg31410/?topicseen#new

diane

Quote from: Tom on July 15, 2012, 02:43:18 PM
In the likely event that someone wins more than one tourney, they will have the option of offering their key ring to the runner up,
if the runner up has one already then the key ring will go to the player that was the runner up when they got their key ring.
This is so that it would be possible for a Monday/etc runner up to get a key ring.

Tom

I like the idea of spreading these around..if all else fails - they could donate it to the TD, if the TD hasnt already won one  ;)

It will be a fun week..and damn, it looks like I'm out on friday night..will have to work round the tourneys  ;)

Tom

We had a very busy day of tourneys!

The following won Key Chains:

jeeves - Week In
jools - Krazy Kiwi Klassic!
MarcoPolo - Monday Three/Five
dorbel - Work Can Wait Forever
praine - Tampa Sevens at Nine

Well Done!

And the TPR standings for the day are:

jeeves23
MarcoPolo19
inim15
jackdaddy15
vegasvic15
jools14
pollemanden13
dorbel10
lgnaz7
praine7

So Jeeves gets the book "52 great backgammon tips" by Patti and Kit

Tom

diane

That seems fair..if ever anyone needed a BG book..that would be jeeves  ;)

Seriously - Well done old chap  :cool:

manxcat

Ok i left jeeves a message to email me his address...

Tom

Quote from: manxcat on July 17, 2012, 07:31:18 PM
Ok i left jeeves a message to email me his address...

I have it

tom

Tom

And the winning continues!

AvvocatoLaser - Krazy Kiwi Klassic!
rebayona - Monday Three/Five
Wergo - Tuesday Bago
praine - Tampa Sevens at Nine - TWICE!

Well Done!

rebayona18
AvvocatoLaser16
inim10
guitartornado9
manxcat6
praine6
jackdaddy5
Perfect_Celle5
Morrissey5
r_c5

So rebayona gets the book "Backgammon for Blood"

Tom

manxcat

Who won Bago on Tuesday?

diane

Bago tournaments are not run using tourneybot, and are therefore not included in the TPR, or therefore, the prize giveaways being run this week.

Socksey, rif raf etc - who run bago will be able to tell you that.

Tom

Quote from: manxcat on July 18, 2012, 08:30:42 PM
Who won Bago on Tuesday?

It was Wergo

I got the email about that after I made the post. I will add the winner to the list.

Thanks for asking!
tom

manxcat

Tom

fewd - Krazy Kiwi Klassic!
guitartornado - Monday Three/Five
truckergirl - Tampa Sevens at Nine

Well Done!

guitartornado19
fewd13
inim13
MrAwesome8
aviator7
DisraeliGears7
ferenczm7
jeeves6
truckergirl6

So guitartornado gets the book "Backgammon for Blood"

Tom

Tom

And the winning continues!

jpb - Krazy Kiwi Klassic!
magic_one - Monday Three/Five
jackdaddy - Tuesday Thursday Bago
Krazula - Tampa Sevens at Nine

Well Done!

magic_onc28
jpb16
stog13
Krazula11
ana10
sorrytiger10
inim8
buhzib7
mano6

So magic_one gets the book "Backgammon for Blood"

It was also very nice to see Patti play the Tampa 7's tonight, it was an interesting match!

Tom

Tom

I talked to the supplier of the Key Chains and he is willing to make more of these available for purchase.

They are $15US, add $1 for USA Delivery Confirmation.
International add $4 for shipping and $20 for Delivery Confirmation.

Send a Paypal to SONNE@CONCEPTS2REALITY.COM with the subject FIBS 20TH KEYCHAIN

Tom

manxcat

Not the same as *earning* one... ;;-))

Tom

We only have a few more tourneys left!

diane - Week Out
pollemanden - Krazy Kiwi Klassic!
KobZero - F3
diane - Tampa Sevens at Nine

Yes Diane won TWICE in one Day!

Well Done!

KobZero21
pollemanden18
MrAwesome16
diane14
inim13
aviator7
fewd7
WildThing7
vegasvic7

So KobZero gets the book "501 Essential BG Problems" by Bill Robertie

Tom

Tom

Only One More day!!!

diane - Saturday Stubbies
inim - Mini Matches
diane - Tampa Sevens at Nine

Yes Diane won TWICE in one Day - TWO DAYS IN A ROW - would someone go take her outside to give others a chance?

Well Done!

diane19
inim14
buhzib11
boomslang7
resh7
aviator6
xupisco5
vegasvic5

So diane gets the book "Backgammon for Blood"

Tom

diane

Well..Im at work today - so it wont be me for the last one - enjoy folks - and whoo hoo, I got a book!

Tom

That's all she wrote!

We're Done!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FIBS!!!

guitartornado - Sunday Session
jeeves - Bloody Mary "Sunday Special"

Congrats to both for their Second Wins!

guitartornado19
Perfect_Celle12
jeeves9
sixtie7
vegasvic7

So guitartornado gets the book "Backgammon for Blood"

I will post the final winners list later.

Congratulations to all the winners and thank you to all the donors!!!

Tom

manxcat

__SUPER__MOM__ won the Sunday Tampa 7 at 9. go Robin..

Tom

Quote from: manxcat on July 23, 2012, 02:38:54 PM
__SUPER__MOM__ won the Sunday Tampa 7 at 9. go Robin..

Yes congrats!

But the Birthday week was running the UTC week, so the Bloody Mary was the last tourney of the week.

Tom

manxcat

Don't remember seeing that distinction in any posts on this thread.  There seem to be 27 tourneys now that i have actually counted them.   Why would you not have started it on Sunday last with the Tampa?  Not trying to be snarky, but last nights' Tampa was incredibly well attended with the expectation of winning the final key chain.  But i do believe the shouts said Last chance to win a key chain, so join the tourney. 
Oh well. It's your ball game.

Thank you for your generosity, in all ways, time, donation, etc.  We do Love you Tom

Tom

Quote from: manxcat on July 23, 2012, 08:06:02 PM
Don't remember seeing that distinction in any posts on this thread.

Yes maybe it was one of the voices in my head...

But It was designed to follow the TPR week which is here: http://www.fibsboard.com/tourneybot-results/weekly-tpr-summary-preview/msg31512/#msg31512 plus the two Bago's is 26 tourneys.

There was one that was run manually that was a re-gifting by diane since she won 4 times!

Sorry for the confusion!

Tom

manxcat

As part of last nights registration announcements it was clearly stated that it was the last chance to  win a key chain. And in your head, intentions are all great.  but if you do not state the one particular tourney is not included, and you did not,  you stated the Tampa 7's at 9 - did not qualify that the last one would not be included - and that though there are 27 tourneys only 26 would count - and never posted a link to the TPR week, nor even said it would be run according to that schedule with sunday not included - well why would anyone think it was.... and arrange to give it their last shot.
Yeah i know ignorance of the law does not preclude innocence but at least laws are written down. But this was Not written anywhere, and as much as we like to think we can get into someone's head, i know of no actual mind readers...
It seems so arbitrarily Patti of you.  Although Patti, if you do not know the rules, will give you benefit of the doubt.

Sorry but : Sorry for the confusion!

Tom

really looks like crap in the end...

Tom

Where is 27 tourneys coming from? I only ever said 26 tourneys

I only raised $185 for 26 Key Chains (@ $10/each), I also kicked in $75 myself (NOT including any postage!!)

WHO WAS SAYING THAT THAT WAS THE LAST TOURNEY?

MAYBE THEY have a Key Chain to offer!

I'll have to talk to the two players that are effected by this confusion, and figure out what is fair.

Thanks for so graciously pointing this out to me and thanks for your donation as well.

Tom

manxcat

I was not gracious, sorry - i am a bit of pit bull on inequities, but it was posted as the last chance...
I did thank you for your investments of time and money.
and i know you said 26, but as it turns out there are 27. but when someone says for ALL 26 regular tourney's, one imagines that the someone knows how many there really are or explains the reason for the discrepancy so others do not expect a regular event to not be included. especially when it had not been stated anywhere that one regular tourney is not included.  ;;-))

diane

I dont think Sat night fever runs anymore..I haven't seen it in ages.

If that one was included..then it would be 27..without it, there are 26..24 Tourneybot tourneys and 2 bago [including the final Tampa]

I think this is where the 26/27 confusion came in...I wasn't counting Saturday night fever...

This could all be my fault..but it may yet be ok...  ;)

Tom

Yes, the Sat Night Fever has not run in ages and was not counted.

I think I have a solution.

It turns out guitartornado won two copies of Backgammon for Blood so we have an extra prize to offer.

I am still working out the details and I will talk directly to Linus and __SUPER_MOM___/__RHOSEISLAND_USA__ to sort
who wants which prize.

Here is what happened.

I made a mistake when doing the daily posts by waiting until the Tampa 7's were done to post.

Then mid-week I looked at the TPR and saw that the FIRST tourney of the week was the previous Tampa 7's.

I then told Linus he won a prize, not fully considering the end of the week.

We'll get it all worked out and I am sure everyone will be happy.
(mumbles... "assuming  I can get this damn cat off my back!")

ooops DID I say that OUT LOUD??? :)

(pass the catnip, "Here kittie, kittie, kitty")

Frankly if this is the largest mistake made, I think it went off really well considering how little planning was done!
Of course now I have to mail all this stuff!!

I will update the Sunday winners list

Tom

diane

That all sounds great, thanks Tom  :cool:

manxcat

You done great overall my friend ;;-)) purrrr0x00x0

Tom

Tom

Tom

KissMyAss

;) @ inim*     My precioussssss......

Tom

Ok!

Key Chains to the following were mailed out today 1st Class Mail:

Mailed directly to:
praine, rebayona, Amy, magic_one, JackDaddy, Krazula, xupsico, KDP, SuperMom, MacMom, sixtie

Mailed to manxcat (aka TG) to add her book donation and forward to Jeeves/UK
Jeeves, fewd, stog, truckergirl

When a book arrives here then I will forward to Austrailian winner and when a T Shirt arrives I will send the rest.

Tom

rebayona

My nickname might sound girlie, but it is just my lastname, so please, stop flirting with me Romeos. It's awkard.

Tom

Quote from: rebayona on August 12, 2012, 07:41:18 PM
Thank you guys!

You are welcome!

Thanks for playing!

The shipment to Europe went out last week and it may arrive this week or early next.
Then the individual key chains will be re-mailed out.

Tom

diane

A parcel arrived here today  :jump: :jump: :applaus: :applaus:

I shall aim to send a sub parcel up QLD way tomorrow  ;)

KissMyAss

My very own, my precioussss.....

Actually, funny thing about that... i do have an imitation ring from the movie... fairly heavy thing, with the writing around the outside of the band. :)   

Hugs

diane

Your preciousssss is on its way..being carried by a Hobbit I know to be as reliable a Hobbit as you can find in these parts...I have double clarified it is to be left with you..and not accidentally chucked into a volcano he may find on the way, so I am optimistic...as long as he doesnt find the enchanted Inn, we are all good.

Oh btw..have you seen the Big Bang Theory Episode about The precioussss?  It is about as geeky as humour gets...I laughed so much, tears were running down my face!

KissMyAss

Never really got into that programme, probably  cos most of the humour is above my feeble mind.  :)

I'm glad he will bypass Mordor... actually more commonly known as Tongiriro atm.... scary place.

I'm glad a Hobbit bears it in my direction, there is hope for Middle Earth after all.  I think I may call the delivery dude Frodo... let him know his secret's safe with me.  lol.   

Ty darlin. 
Hugs

diane

If the stick will let you..here are a couple of my fav moments..

http://youtu.be/JaNSgkruHso

http://youtu.be/jzHMRkqo0CA

KissMyAss

The stick allowed the viewing of the precioussss... :) 

Very funny!   Also found another one by following the links at the end of the clips.

KissMyAss

A quick addendum for those of you following this riveting story closely...

The precious arrived today!   Now it's all mine!   Nasty fat Hobbitses can't have the Precious!  :)   

Bilbo was riding a motorbike, and dressed in fluro reflective gear, complete with white helmet and KMart sunglasses.   Times have changed since Men took back Middle Earth, but the end result remains the same. 

Thank you for posting it on Diane, and thanks to Tom for all the hard work put in to making the 20th Anniversary week one to remember.  :)

stog

keyring arrived today - excellent -- not won many things for Backgammon so well received (will probably use for chastity key)

-- many thx Tom for organising and all who contributed/post forwarded and Patti et all for Fibs.

Tom did you get sufficient funds to cover all costs?

Tom

Quote from: stog on September 01, 2012, 11:22:18 AM
keyring arrived today - excellent -- not won many things for Backgammon so well received (will probably use for chastity key)

-- many thx Tom for organising and all who contributed/post forwarded and Patti et all for Fibs.

Tom did you get sufficient funds to cover all costs?

I hope you enjoy it!

Save the money in case we find ANOTHER reason to do it again.

Maybe not a whole week...

diane

Well..we could do a week..as long as someone else does the work and posting ;-)

I love my book and keyring - so thanks from me too, Tom!

Tom

Well the package FINALLY made it to Europe, it got stuck in customs...

All the key chains have been repacked and mailed again!

I even had one USA package that got returned for more postage! (Rhode Island)

Tom