News:

Free Competition -"Risk - no risk!"-has just ended. curanar, wintom & stog won copies of Bgblitz2Go. details  here http://www.fibsboard.com/free-competition-win-bgblitz2go-p85

Main Menu

Tournament bans.

Started by dorbel, April 05, 2013, 05:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorbel

For several weeks now, I have been banned from tournaments where socksey is the TD. I have either been ejected when socksey logs in, at the semi-final stage on one occasion, or I have been banned when trying to register.
Can anybody, ideally socksey, explain to me why this is so? On a wider point, should directors be able to ban people just because they don't like them?

jackdaddy

Easy one. You blinded her when she was TD. Do I get some sort of prize for answering?
:thumbsup2:

And on a wider point, yes, of course...

socksey

Fyi, Patti says a TD may ban anyone from their tourneys and does not need to give a reason why.  You know very well why you have been banned from my tourneys.  End of story.

socksey

If I were given the opportunity to present a gift to the next generation, it would be the ability for each individual to learn to laugh at himself. ~ Charles M. Schulz

dorbel

Actually, I don't know why, which is why I asked. Spell it out please.

socksey

Quote from: socksey on April 05, 2013, 05:23:31 PM
Fyi, Patti says a TD may ban anyone from their tourneys and does not need to give a reason why.  You know very well why you have been banned from my tourneys.  End of story.

jeeves

"I will no longer host Fri3 because Tom removed me as TD"

"Hence, I will no longer be hosting any tourney using TourneyBot"

Quote from: socksey on April 05, 2013, 05:23:31 PM
You know very well why you have been banned from my tourneys. 

socksey

.............spot the odd-one-out...........  :lol:

jeeves

In all seriousness, ahem, I wonder why there continues to be a need for a Tournament Director per se. A tournament administrator, sure, but Director? The automation of most of the tasks is laudable, and only the most stubborn and foolish-looking  individual will continue to try and bend the rules as far as they can, which is not very much.  We need some consistency in approach......stop this ridiculous us-and-them 'club' mentality, and let anybody enter any tournament they wish to without any further drama.

jackdaddy

Does that mean you'd be willing to stop your blinding players for no apparent reason jeeves? Step forward with the first example if stopping the drama... ;)

jeeves

A totally different subject old chap, and a poor attempt at deflecting away from the real issue  :ohmy:

diane

Quote from: jeeves on April 05, 2013, 08:59:33 PM
In all seriousness, ahem, I wonder why there continues to be a need for a Tournament Director per se. A tournament administrator, sure, but Director? The automation of most of the tasks is laudable, and only the most stubborn and foolish-looking  individual will continue to try and bend the rules as far as they can, which is not very much.  We need some consistency in approach......stop this ridiculous us-and-them 'club' mentality, and let anybody enter any tournament they wish to without any further drama.

Very much agree..Tourneybot is the TD...and where available, people help out with some personal contact.

99% of fibsters manage to get up in the morning, dress themselves, connect their computer to the internet, log in, find fibs, register or log in as appropriate, read shouts, and start and finish matches.

The last couple of baby steps, 'tell tourneybot tourney ####' and 'register ####' are really not that taxing after all that.

I know some prefer a human face, as it were, etc etc..so they can find those tourneys, they are available on fibs less often and other BG sites. The problem with that, is that it relies too heavily on one or a handful of people, there are simply not enough volunteers - and people struggle to subtract the drama. KMA does the best job of that from them all, but even still...things happen to stir up some drama.

Mass produced, bot run, drama-less tourneys are what we should be aiming for.

I also know there are those who are always keen to try to break something to prove it is breakable...but that will subside eventually.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

dorbel

Still banned as of today, still no explanation offered as to why.
The wider point is that in my opinion, the tournaments should belong to everybody. They are the one area of fibs where even those who are old enemies are obliged to meet and play a game without drama and rudeness. That  can only be a good thing. There are several fibsters I can't stand and surely several who can't stand me, yet we manage to play when we are drawn together. You can't say that the atmosphere is warm, but we both get it done.
As per another recent thread, isn't it time to leave the drama behind and play some bg?

NIHILIST

I'd have added my thoughts earlier but I went through 3 crying towels and my keyboard was covered with tears I shed over dorbel's plight.

With as much IRL tourney experience as you have you certainly know that a TD can ban anyone without giving a reason. I saw this once many years ago at a major Las Vegas tourney. TD Henry Wattson banned Gaby Horowitz without giving a reason. It was pretty well known though that Gaby had become too high maintenance, requiring constant monitoring of his matches by the TD or his staff. Henry finally decided Gaby just wasn't worth the grief.

I am by no means comparing dorbel to Gaby. I actually liked Gaby better, but that's irrelevant.

I think the problem is that dorbel believes he holds some special status at FIBS, socksey disagrees. Since Patti has issued her pronouncement that a TD may ban without giving a reason, I don't know why dorbel insists on keeping the issue alive.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

diane

Dorbel is by no means the only fibster in this pickle...he is just the latest in an ongoing saga of drama and 'but she said, its mine, give it back, my dads bigger than your dad' childish nonsense.

Lets see, I banned someone from my tourneys for a long time - primarily because he is disruptive, abusive and unable to follow any rules set. He is still doing that in tourneys [the most recent being last week], but he gets to play. I was told I had to let him, so I chose not to run the tourneys instead.

Now Patti says you can ban who you want, and don't have to state a reason...my how that has changed. So from socksey taking F3 and Minis on the basis I wouldn't allow a known disruptive and unpleasant player into a tourney, to not let in someone who will be reasonable during the tourney and with players, but wont follow her personal rules [not the stated tourneybot rules btw].

That chick is on one big power trip, dorbel - you have only one option, learn to defend her actions and rules, whilst not following them yourself, remind her how sexy she is from time to time - and you will be allowed to do whatever you like...

KissMyAss

For my response to this, I take excerpts from an old link I found last year...   (Found here:  http://www.fibsboard.com/tourney-directors-cafa/banning-guidelines/msg1161/#msg1161 )

There has been some player behavior creep back into FIBS lately during tourneys that MadMatt lists under possible reasons for Global Bans from tourneys.  These include, but are not limited to: 

*     Deliberate and repeated disregard of tourney rules
     (as an aside, I add 'disregard of the available TD's instructions' AND "being inconsiderate and distracting the playing TD with unnecessary tells' for consideration here)           :yes:

*     Inappropriate behavior while playing/observing a tourney match (kibitzing, jeering, cheering one player, offering advice etc.)   

*     Continually failing to show up on time to play their tourney matches, entering tourneys and then refusing to play.

Underneath, on the same link, Matt talks about possible reasons for banning a player from a specific tourney.  Such as:

*     People unable to do the dropout command when they want to leave pre tourney.

*     People not logged in when the tourney starts.

Now I could point fingers, flame, throw blame around and stomp my feet, start a whole big debate amongst the TD's for months arguing why I believe a player should be banned from my tourney and hoping that they can all agree with me so I can get on with it.   Or I can just do it. 

I have had to ban only a tiny number of players from my Kiwi tourney in the whole time it's been running. One player was for a week, and his conduct improved to the point where he's now one of my most regular players.   Another was removed for one tourney and welcomed back into the Kiwi the following day, where his actions weren't repeated as he realised they wouldn't be appreciated or tolerated. 

I don't believe in global bans, if I have a problem with a player, I will deal with it, in my tourney.   To me, that's like saying to another person "I don't like this player, so please don't be friends with them, otherwise I will become upset."    I don't dictate who people's friends are, why should I dictate who should be banned from other tourneys?
I also don't believe in permabans.  If you give me grief in Monday's Kiwi Tourney, I will remove you on Monday.  You can come back Tuesday, but if you repeat the behaviour, then you will be removed Tuesday, with the chance to come back on Wednesday.   I got no issue with repeatedly banning a player who can't learn, and comes back to test how many times they can make the same mistake. 

Every day is a new day, and a new chance with me.  I don't hold grudges, I don't live in the past.   Yesterday is gone, and so has yesterday's drama.   

And yes, I can hear you now, naysayers.   I'm naive and if I don't accept that people have a past history with each other then I'm a fool.   So be it.   But I'm a happy, calm, peaceful and nonjudgmental fool who gives everyone a fair go.  And I don't have to allow room in my tourneys for that past history, and I won't accept new tourney players being dragged into things from the past. 

I have a past too... none of which I am going to share here, but if you wish to be bogged down in sadness, depression, fear, and self loathing, then by all means, come and chat to me on the quiet, I'll give you my whole life story to wallow in to your heart's content.   Meanwhile, I'll be getting on with raising my daughter, running tourneys that are fun for those players who want to keep it fun and relaxed, and shut for those who want to give me drama on any given day.

My rules are simply this:

BE NICE:      Play and chat with your opponent, and enjoy their company and the match that you are playing with them.

BE QUIET:   Failing the above, if you don't like the person you are paired with by the bot, play silently.  You now have the option to gag anyone, USE IT!  There's no need for people to be slinging verbal sh** at each other during a match.  It holds other players up behind you, it causes bitterness to build up inside you and serves no purpose whatsoever.   PLAY SILENTLY.

BE GONE:   If you can't stand the thought of playing someone who registers for a tourney, then use the dropout command and leave the tourney before play starts.  (See me if you don't know how to do this, I will assist you.)   If you can't play with the person you are paired with during a tourney, even if they are gagged, cos you can't stand the sight of their name, then come and talk to me in tells.   I will assist you by removing you from the tourney, which will ease all your tension.   

Instead of arguing over whether TD's are important or not, how about we get back to basics.   

Sign up, play, enjoy.   

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

NIHILIST

Diane writes...  
you have only one option, learn to defend her actions and rules, whilst not following them yourself, remind her how sexy she is from time to time - and you will be allowed to do whatever you like...

Damn, now I know how inim gets away with all his crap. They make a lovely couple too.

Bob

Corrected to quote me properly. Diane
Robert J Ebbeler

diane

Quote from: KissMyAss on April 07, 2013, 02:05:04 AMEvery day is a new day, and a new chance with me.  I don't hold grudges, I don't live in the past.   Yesterday is gone, and so has yesterday's drama.   

KMA...the next best thing to tourneybot  :cool:

Seriously...there are so few who can be so detached, if they could and wanted to be TDs, there would be no issues, ever.

Since there aren't so many - tourneybot is still my preferred choice..with KMA as the lovely assistant  :thumbsup2:

KissMyAss

Quote from: diane on April 07, 2013, 10:52:54 AMSince there aren't so many - tourneybot is still my preferred choice..with KMA as the lovely assistant  :thumbsup2:

I knew she wanted me!   :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

vegasvic

You can add me to that list .... since i am not allowed to shout on fibs i will here .

SexyyyyyyyyyyySockseyyyyyyyyy !!

She has hosted F3 and Mini the longest of anyone by YEARS ... Seven plus years matter of FACT.
I think this gives her a lot of room to run a tourney as she likes ... I do not see anyone of you giving LuckyDice grief over the ban he has against Inim and resh, plus he has the same rule "No blinds on Final match'. Long as Socksey keeps on running the two tourneys we should respect her wishes and commitment
to the tourneys.

As for Diane ... you had me banned from friday3 for over a year no reason given ...I sure as hell did not come inhere crying mommy !!
It was your right , you were the TD .
End of story .... so stop throwing stones my dear .

socksey

Quote from: diane on April 07, 2013, 12:11:13 AM
Dorbel is by no means the only fibster in this pickle...he is just the latest in an ongoing saga of drama and 'but she said, its mine, give it back, my dads bigger than your dad' childish nonsense.

Lets see, I banned someone from my tourneys for a long time - primarily because he is disruptive, abusive and unable to follow any rules set. He is still doing that in tourneys [the most recent being last week], but he gets to play. I was told I had to let him, so I chose not to run the tourneys instead.

Now Patti says you can ban who you want, and don't have to state a reason...my how that has changed. So from socksey taking F3 and Minis on the basis I wouldn't allow a known disruptive and unpleasant player into a tourney, to not let in someone who will be reasonable during the tourney and with players, but wont follow her personal rules [not the stated tourneybot rules btw].

That chick is on one big power trip, dorbel - you have only one option, learn to defend her actions and rules, whilst not following them yourself, remind her how sexy she is from time to time - and you will be allowed to do whatever you like...

Gee, diane, since you were not present when dorbel and inim were disruptive, abusive and unable to follow rules that were in place at the occurrence during one of my tourneys, maybe you would like me to send you the transcript.  Or maybe I am mistaken in thinking the "power trip" chick to whom you referred was Patti and not me.  Huh? 

Oh, and btw, those were not my own personal rules.  Other TD's agreed with me. 

Please get your facts straight before you libel yourself.

socksey

Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence? - Sai Baba

inim

Quote from: socksey on April 07, 2013, 04:32:33 PM
dorbel and inim were disruptive, abusive and unable to follow rules that were in place at the occurrence during one of my tourneys

I do not recall any incident where I disrupted any tourney. In the last decade, I have finished all games in the tourneys I have entered, and never abused my opponents. Thus, I do not think socksey's claim is correct here.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rĂ¥ and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.