News:

new backgammon problem in backgammon articles  (under the shoutbox on the right of the Front page) http://www.fibsboard.com/gnubg-gammonline-html-output-test-p78
thx zorba

Main Menu

David Sayles Escoffery (davide) Rest in Peace

Started by maria, November 04, 2013, 04:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maria

As you know from the Message of the Day, David lost his battle with cancer.
He will be missed.
He was very passionate about the Spring Tournaments and was very patient with me when I was a newbie to FIBS and the game.
I asked him many questions about tournaments in general and he always took the time to explain things to me.
Rest in Peace, David.

dorbel

For 19 years David ran his tournaments on Fibs, with the objective, as he put it, "To have fun in a large-draw, non-commercial, low entry fee tournament among some of the nicest people on the net, including some of the best backgammon players on the Internet." His tournaments were certainly all of that and always impeccably directed. Roberto Litzenberger (roadkillbooks) of Argentina was the last champion in September this year, by which time David had just about run out of road.
I hope that his tournaments can continue on Fibs carrying his name. Perhaps Kit Woolsey, his co-director for many years, might like to take it on. I know that David would be honoured by that.
In his last year David used a site called http://www.caringbridge.org/ , which hosts free websites for people who are seriously ill, so that they can stay in touch with friends without the effort of multiple emails and phone calls. They do accept donations and I hope that those who knew David and appreciated his friendship will take the opportunity to mark his passing in that way.

Patti

Shortly after I moved to the San Francisco bay area, probably in 1995 or 1996, I was invited down to David's house for his 40th birthday bash.  What do you get someone for their 40th birthday?  I opted for 40 chocolate truffles... I have no idea how that particular detail is still in my memory, but it is.   I took my then-girlfriend to the party with me.  She wasn't quite sure what to make of all of the backgammon players, and they really didn't know what to make of the vivacious and energetic redhead on my arm.

David was good people.  He was thoughtful, courteous, helpful, and quite passionate about the things he did.  The world is a poorer place without him.