News:

VIP Donor members can now access VIP articles on the random photos that appear on the front page, with links & larger images..

Main Menu

New Years Eve Tournament?

Started by Tom, December 14, 2013, 08:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

When I heard that David Escoffery lost his battle with cancer last month I wanted to run a Tourney in his honor or memory.

But not being close to him it just did not feel right.

So nothing came of it.

Earlier today Ron Blake called me and suggested that we run a New Years Eve tourney to honor the memory of all
the loved ones (tourney players or not) who we lost in 2013.

I was thinking maybe a 3/5 starting at 0000 UTC with relaxed clocks and people would be encouraged
to share memories.

Would anyone be interested in this?

Tom

KDP

you may also want to consider a week long tourney (so maybe more folks could participate) using tourneybot like the tpr playoffs.  maybe even 5/7, either way i would be willing to participate.

one more thing, i think if you do a one day tourney a new years day tourney might draw more folks than a new years eve one.  now that i think about it that would actually work out better for me as i know i have to work new years eve.

KissMyAss

Could be epic... I for one plan this as one of my few drinking nights of the year.   :)    If its New Year's Eve, I maybe under the affluence of incohol.  If its New Years Day, I'll probably be feeling a bit ordinary and grouchy.   

Either way, sounds like fun!   I'm in!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

socksey

I vote for New Year's Day.  Won't interfere with my black-eyed-peas for luck and cabbage for money tradition!   :laugh:

I'd prefer keeping it to 3/5 and that's on a Wednesday, and a half hour after Bago time would be a great time for me, although it might not be so great for Aussie participants.  I'm open to other times as well.

socksey

We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall defend our home board, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight in the back board, we shall fight for the 5 point and the 4 point, we shall fight in the bear-off. We shall never surrender. - codetyke from GridGammon

Tom

How about 10AM Eastern Time/USA?

That would be 2 hrs after the Kiwi and 2 hrs before the Wed35

That makes it toughest on the Western states in the USA, but works for Europe and Australia.

Tom

KDP

socksey

Sounds good to me!

socksey

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love. - Lao-Tzu

vegasvic

I think its a VERY good idea and you might think of making the tourney a swiss so it just lasts longer or make it a 7/9 match affair .

socksey

If we go for the time slot Tom suggests, we can't have longer matches or we interfere with the next tourney, vici.   :dry:

socksey

The school of life offers some difficult courses, but it is in the difficult class that one learns the most. ~ Corrie ten Boom

KDP

i think a swiss tourney would be a very cool idea :thumbsup2:  so what if it runs long and overlaps the noon3/5?  seeing how there is plenty of lead time, folks could choose which tourney they would prefer to play in.

vegasvic

Also if this is a tourney that will honor the  fibsters  that passed away one i knew in person  , it would be nice if we break patti's no blind rules and make it an OPEN final .

I am sure few players would be against this idea . If its a problem they do not have to join. If its not OPEN final i'll not join and honor Joe in a different way .

Good luck with it !!

Amy

I know you said to make a tourney in memory of all lost in 2013.  I was wondering if we could do it for all FIBS players that were lost.  I don't remember this for zdoc a couple years ago.  If so, I wasn't informed.  My husband was a great man and loved backgammon.  Would that be ok or would it be too much?
Love.  It's what makes the world go 'round.

socksey

I think it would be good to honor all lost Fibsters in this tourney.   :yes:

socksey

If God had intended us to fly he would have made it easier to get to the airport. ~ Jonathan Winters

jeeves

Quote from: socksey on December 17, 2013, 03:52:03 PM
I think it would be good to honor all lost Fibsters in this tourney.   :yes:

Seconded  :yes:

dorbel

I don't think anybody intends to
Quoteeliminate player from the tourney for personal grudges.

If we are going to honour fibsters who who have gone to join the great chouette in the sky, a nice idea, let's keep it about exactly that, rather than use it as an opportunity to reopen the subject of blinding kibitzers, a subject traditionally used on Fibs as an excuse for personal drama when a player exercises his right to bar a viewer, a right sanctioned in bg by immemorial custom.

Perhaps the New Year is a good opportunity to allow some vendettas, or indeed all vendettas, to die a long overdue death. That would be a very fitting memorial for janne, BillyC, Anakin, zdoc, davide, JoeTamargo and all the others who have slipped away from the playing room unremarked over the years.

Tom

I removed the off topic junk.

I think we have cleared up the rules in another (email) thread

There is nothing wrong with tourneys over lapping, you just can't play in two at once...

I am looking forward to setting this one up!

Yes it should honor all who we have lost.

I think I stated that in the first post...

Tom

socksey

Quote from: Tom on December 21, 2013, 03:32:18 AM
I removed the off topic junk.

I think we have cleared up the rules in another (email) thread

There is nothing wrong with tourneys over lapping, you just can't play in two at once...

I am looking forward to setting this one up!

Yes it should honor all who we have lost.

I think I stated that in the first post...

Tom

If tourneys overlap, one tourney will draw from the other.  Perhaps the 3/5 should be canceled on that day only.

I think you specified that the tourney would be for those who passed in 2013.  That is why Amy requested all lost in no specific time. 

socksey

Each moment of the year has its own beauty... a picture which was never seen before and which shall never be seen again. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

stog

i have untrashed the culled possibly off-topic posts and moved/merged them to our  non public 'Limbo' board

we do try and allow considered comment on Fibsboard, but ask again that folks keep on topic and self-edit; ie re read their posts and remove unnecessary personalisation or gripe..

wishing all well for the New Years' eve tourney, i remind everyone that there is a RIP Board here, so please add any obits or remembrances there..

many thanks

Tom

Quote from: socksey on December 21, 2013, 09:12:21 AM
If tourneys overlap, one tourney will draw from the other.  Perhaps the 3/5 should be canceled on that day only.

I think you specified that the tourney would be for those who passed in 2013.  That is why Amy requested all lost in no specific time. 

socksey

I see you are right, maybe it should be for those who have passed since the PREVIOUS such tourney...
this is the first so for all of time...

Overlapping tourneys really do not greatly effect the draw much, with a 2 hour window how many people
could possibly still be playing? 2? or at most 4?

The Three/Five for that day will not be canceled!

Honestly it could make the draw BIGGER for the Three/Five since people will already be there, warmed up,
wanting to get revenge against the stupid FIBS dice they received that knocked them out!

Tom

Tom

Quote from: stog on December 21, 2013, 11:28:42 AM
i have untrashed the culled possibly off-topic posts and moved/merged them to our  non public 'Limbo' board

Sorry I will keep that in mind next time.

Tom