News:

we need 2 or 3 small donations a month, and an ad or 2 each month, consistently over the year, to keep the board going.....http://www.fibsboard.com/donate.php

Main Menu

Fibsboard Forum Match 17 Game 2 Move 43 elmicho to move

Started by stog, January 16, 2014, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

elmicho

This is my first puzle for too many rolls. My first impusle is 8/5, 8/4 - extending the argumentation in my last note. However, on second thought, I believe I'm better of with the split to 21, as it's crucial for me to hit, if I should get a chance. I'm not too concerned about the combinations that will point on my checker on the 1-point as they move well for the herd anyway.

As this is a match dedicated to learning, I will share my generel rules of thumb, when I play gammon. I have played the game for 25 years and studied intensively in the first 4-5 years I played. Since I have become increasingly lazy and I often don't even care to count the numbers of shots involved- instead I look for patterns.
My first - slighly controversial - advice is not to apply every suggestion from the bots into your game. As a player you rely on knowledge and abilility to play the position involved. Hence it will be better for you to seek positions that you play well, if the difference isn't too big. Naturally you have to study the positions you play less good, but preferably when it isn't an important match.

1. Concider the cube every roll
2. Reflect upon your gameplan, is it time to chance your approach due to position and roll.
3. Keep your checkers in front of opponent checkers unless you have a good reason not to. Good exampel is the hit on the 1-point, which I'm not a fan of. If you get hit it's bad, if not it's even worse with a checker stranded on the 1'point that you probably don't want to cover - exvept in a blitz.
4. Gain a piplead and hold on to it, unless you have good reason not to. (I stink at getting a piplead)
5. Keep opponent unbalanced - on the bar or minimize his good rolls.
6. If you have to leave a blot, place it where you would like to make a point, if the numbers to hit isn't dramatic larger.

There might be some more, but those were the ones that popped to mind.

I think it has been an interesting experience (though slow) to play a match in this form. It would however have been more interesting for me, if we have commented on each others moves. As it is now the heard has a discussion but the 'victim' is on his own.

I would be happy to receive constructive critique or good advice.

Mich.

elmicho

I distracted myself and forgot to post my move.
24/21, 8/4