News:

Biggest free backgammon community - members from over 150 countries. Play backgammon for free on Fibs.com and enjoy the community on fibsboard

Main Menu

Move for consideration by the Herd....

Started by diane, March 18, 2011, 09:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

What is the best way to play 4-1?  The reason I ask, is that gnu is gving me vastly different results on roll out, compared to quick analysis. I know the roll out should be best - but the result is so different, I wonder if the settings are correct!!

Never give up on the things that make you smile

ah_clem

If rollout differs from analysis, it's usually an indication that you need a longer or better rollout.  For instance, I usually analyze at 2-ply and roll out at 0-ply.  If they agree, then I accept it, but if they don't  I go for a 2-ply rollout.

In this position, I'm pretty sure the hit is correct, but I'm not sure where to play the ace: 24/23 doesn't do anything constructive, 9/7 makes a candlestick, and slotting may be too counterindicated due to his stronger position.  I'd slot the 7 point (fewer return hits than slotting the 5) and hope to make a point next turn. The thing is, we're just about guaranteed to be on the bar next turn with a loose hit - how best to prep for a hitting festival?  maybe covering up is best?

diane

Will wait for more comments..before letting on what I did do..and what results I got. The roll out is the one that you instructed me on setting up.

All analysis on my previous gnu version was 2 ply - this one doesnt have that - so is set at 'world class'
Never give up on the things that make you smile