SIYANARA Saved Games?

Started by oldovercoat, December 28, 2008, 01:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldovercoat

*************resolved with "show savedcount PLAYER" to get an accurate account.*************Patti (jan16,2009)see also http://www.schneiderp.de/~inim/repbot/allreps.html

All saved games got flushed?

How do I go about estimating whether a match with a new opponent will be a waste of time or not?

Ratings can be manipulated. Reputation can be manipulated. The only real measuring stick we had was the saved games! Now it's gone.

I am flabbergasted that the best are now on a completely equal footing with the worst. Why did this happen?

stog

have a look at the threads on repbot for info eg http://www.fibsboard.com/repbot/inflated-saved-games-figures-t2129.0.html;msg16188#new

you still have your saved games available from your client

check what client your invite comes from / "ask" repbot for a rep and you are sorted

use the vouch/complain

have a wonderful new year

oldovercoat

Quote from: stog on December 28, 2008, 02:59:56 PM
have a look at the threads on repbot for info eg http://www.fibsboard.com/repbot/inflated-saved-games-figures-t2129.0.html;msg16188#new

you still have your saved games available from your client

check what client your invite comes from / "ask" repbot for a rep and you are sorted

use the vouch/complain

have a wonderful new year

So every time someone invites me, I must visit a web site and look up the player's saved games?

Reputation, like ratings, can be altered & manipulated extremely easily. You can have a player with a 200,000 reputation and zero saved games, and one with 200,000 and 400 saved games. Remove the reputation and you've distilled things down to the truth.

The only element of the three key statistics (rating, reputation & saved games) that could not be manipulated by a player was saved games. And it was the most telling and accurate stat of all. You could identify a dropper instantaneously.

To complain to the repbot means I've been dropped and my time has been wasted. This doesn't bring back that time. I had zero saved games because I used the saved game stats to be selective as to whom I engaged with.

Saved game stats were the single most accurate representation of a player that was available to us. The most key tool has been taken away and I would like to know why.

stog

well i sure ain't wasting anymore time typing more stuff that you can find by looking on the board

a thx would have been nice

maybe im a little sensitiv e today...

diane

Quote from: oldovercoat on December 28, 2008, 03:45:56 PM
So every time someone invites me, I must visit a web site and look up the player's saved games?

Saved game stats were the single most accurate representation of a player that was available to us. The most key tool has been taken away and I would like to know why.

No, you cant look up saved games anymore, they have been removed.

The link stog gave you was to the thread explaining why that happened, I suggest you read it and add  any comments there.

The summary is that it went wrong and was far too high for each player - making it no longer the single most accurate representation of a player.  All it did was identify those who play a lot of matches, and made them appear bad. 
Never give up on the things that make you smile

oldovercoat

I never looked at it like that, I suppose you could think that ... well, obviously, you did! :-)

What I saw was the % of saved games to total games played, you could simply look at a player's stats and you knew that player was a dropper. 607 games played, a 1700+ rating and 153 saved games. Hmmm... didn't take a genius here.

When a player had 20,000 played games and maybe 30-40 or so saved, I sort of figured that player was the occasional recipient of bad luck when it came to being screwed by droppers.

Now, I hesitate to accept any invitation from anyone I don't know or have not played previously. I don't like that feeling, the server has definitely become a little more creepy.

socksey

Now, you just need to look at a players' reputation and check the list of where the rep comes from, then decide whether to play or not.   :)

socksey

"We can often do more for other men by trying to correct our own faults than by trying to correct theirs." - François Fenelon

oldovercoat

Quote from: socksey on December 30, 2008, 02:16:40 PM
Now, you just need to look at a players' reputation and check the list of where the rep comes from, then decide whether to play or not.   :)

socksey

Reputation, just like a rating, can be easily manipulated. Saved games could only be reduced by a re-invite, or, obviously, totally wiped out by an arbitrary decision.

Patti

Or, you could do "show savedcount PLAYER" to get an accurate acount.

Caliman

Saved games have ruined my experience on fibs completely. How do you know if a player has x number of saved games just how many that player has dropped and how many the player has BEEN dropped?
Personally i have over 30 saved games but I have not dropped a game without immediately resuming EVER during my time on fibs .
Judge not ye that shall be judged.
Semper idem!
Rickochet (from villains list)
Rickochet on Fibs. Converted from mobile odesys to 3d fibs on pc.

adrian

Every little war will kill a few innocents. Unless Odesys and Iphone clients are improved, all mobile users are staying on the "villains" list.
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

Caliman

:huh: there seems to be a few people deliberately giving others saved games. I was invited to play 2 matches last night, after accepting the player then did not make a single move! No response to messages and after some 20 minutes I left the match and immediately asked them to resume assuming they had a connection problem or similar.
If any other player has had this please let me know.
Rickochet on Fibs. Converted from mobile odesys to 3d fibs on pc.