News:

most Recent Posts and Recent Topics now viewable on the front page!

Main Menu

bots analyzed by gnu

Started by yappay, September 05, 2012, 02:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yappay

when i analyze the luck factor of the games i am playing with fibs bots with gnu.
gnu calculates an incredible luck factor for the bots.
can i trust gnu or the bots?

socksey

Luck comes in streaks.  No one can measure this factor over a period of time until after the fact. 

Gnu IS a bot.   :laugh:

socksey

Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight.  Albert Schweitzer

NIHILIST

I believe most of the bots at FIBS are gnu-based. So, if you use gnubg to evaluate play, gnubg will almost always tell you that the gnu-based bots played flawlessly.

There are certain types of games where the gnubots are completely clueless, ie, hitting its opponents last 2 checkers while having no board development of its own. The bots seem never to slot points or do anything to create a position from which to win. I watched such a game that lasted almost 200 moves with the bot losing, having never bettered its starting position. A post game analysis by gnubg rated the bots play SUPERNATURAL. The truth is Ray Charles would have played the position better than the bot.

Bob
Robert J Ebbeler

PersianLord

In addition to what NIHI correctly pointed out, the bots also face massive challenges in defending against a developing mega-backgame, specially during the middle and final stages. They can't analyze the positions correctly and usually fall in traps.

PL
The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests.  - T.K

dorbel

The "bots can't play backgames" theory is in my opinion a myth, dating from the early versions of Jellyfish and Snowie which didn't always do well in backgame situations. Modern bots play them quite well and certainly better than 99% of humans. You can construct positions in which they make some very strange plays, but positions that occur in real life backgammon are normally handled with robotic efficiency.
Are there humans with deep insight into playing and defending against backgames, who can teach Gnu or XG a thing or two? It's possible, but I doubt if they contribute to Fibsboard.