News:

All new Fibsboard.com for 2011 --" your unofficial Forum for all fings FIBS."
New Membergroups, new boards including topical discussions, Campaigns, Culture and Gossip. Photo Galleries, Forum Backgammon vs Top Guest, and much much more.........faster and improved, with sas :)

Main Menu

Game 2, move 21 gaspar to play 4-4

Started by ah_clem, April 21, 2011, 10:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ah_clem

Despite my best efforts, I can't seem to get the dice out of diane mode.  The herd rolled a 6-5 and played the forced move.  Now gaspar has a 44 to play.

socksey

BOO!!!!!!!!!!  There!  Maybe that will do it!   :laugh:

socksey

"It is a sad thing when men have neither the wit to speak well nor the judgment to hold their tongues." - Jean de la Bruyere

diane

Mr_clem, do stop blaming others for your inabilities with dice rolling. I will meditate on some better dice for you after dinner...just try not to completely mess this up while I am away..stall if need be..
Never give up on the things that make you smile

gaspar

well we are officially in too good to cube territory..really couldnt ask for  a better roll...9-5 * (2) and 8-4* (2)...
let's see
1. makes the gold and silver pt
2. puts 2 guys on bar
3. favoured to gammon now
4 life is good

amazing what a folded 20 in clem's palm will do

gaspar

oh yeah and clem i did have a  cube there before the 4's  LOL with one on bar and  lots of rolls to make a pt + pick and pass to put you guys 2 on bar...4-1 4-3 5-4- 6-5  6-3 4-2 etc etc...pick and pass dbl 2-3-4-5 -6  it was prob. a drop now that i am looking at it....

gaspar

it's too bad clem rolled me the doubles..but the position is interesting enough...is this a cube for me and is it a take..we should submit comments on both sides of the board.  i mean the objective of this excercise is to examine some interesting postitions and discuss together....

there are arguements here for dbl -pass.  too good to dbl...no dbl -take ...

personally i think the huge gammon vig.....gotta be over 20% gammons here...makes it a cube....just on gammmons alone.....i think the game is not a slam dunk for me...and i wouldnt be too hard to convince that it is too good to cube...i mean what are your bad rolls here ...even a 5-5 -- my worse  puts you 2 on the bar.,.i mean what is a bad roll here for me...you are still on the bar and very vulnerable...

my conclusion for this pos . is.
1.  lead in race YES
2.  good position YES
3. threats YES, YES YES
4. does herd have an easy take NO NONO

so ...it is a cube for sure..

is it too good??
1. no bad rolls.
2. high gammon vig.
3. already on bar
4. 3 juicy blots.

i would keep cube and try to gammon
does match score have any bearing .....i am up 1-0 ..with a gammon it would be 5-0...with dropped cube up 3-0 ..take and gammon game over..

conclusion
i won't give up the cube, since i can probably cube you guys out later..i will hold cube and try a roll

so before we push fwd let's look at this position...

ah_clem

Spoiler
My practice is if I have any doubts on whether it's correct to roll I peek at the gnubg hint before rolling.  This usually results in me having to recuse myself from cube decisions for a few moves, but I think it's worth it to make the match run smoothly - I don't want to miss any close decisions, and I don't want to waste a lot of time on decisions that aren't close.  In this case I was 90% sure it was not close to a double, but I checked gnubg anyway just to be sure - it was a pretty clear hold/take, so I just rolled.  With the double fours, the equity has changed a lot, so I don't think I'm prejudicing future cube decisions by saying this, but  I'll recuse myself anyway.

I'll definitely pause for a cube decision next roll, since I'm not sure what the cube action is.  And I'll start a rollout and post it when the results are moot.

[close]

ah_clem

cube decisions rollout:

Spoiler

Was this a double prior to rolling the 4-4?  gnubg 2-ply rollout says no.  A double whopper to cube here.

Cubeful equities:
1. No double            +0.797
2. Double, pass         +1.000  ( +0.203)
3. Double, take         +0.349  ( -0.448)
Proper cube action: No redouble, take (49.2%)

Rollout details:
Player Gaspar owns 2-cube:
  0.636 0.329 0.034 - 0.364 0.077 0.003 CL  +0.682 CF  +0.797
[0.002 0.003 0.003 - 0.002 0.002 0.000 CL   0.007 CF   0.008]
Player Herd owns 4-cube:
  0.635 0.422 0.033 - 0.365 0.091 0.008 CL  +0.780 CF  +0.349
[0.002 0.008 0.003 - 0.002 0.005 0.002 CL   0.009 CF   0.011]
Full cubeful rollout with var.redn.
1296 games, Mersenne Twister dice gen. with seed 882573024 and quasi-random dice
Play:  2-ply cubeful prune [world class]
keep the first 0 0-ply moves and up to 8 more moves within equity 0.1
Skip pruning for 1-ply moves.
Cube: 2-ply cubeful prune [world class]
[close]