News:

VIP Donor members can now access VIP articles on the random photos that appear on the front page, with links & larger images..

Main Menu

Euro FIBS Party 2008!

Started by krautlover, April 22, 2008, 08:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdbeere

sounds great, noah.
and holland is easy to reach for me by car. So i also could come, when luise has no holidays.

erdbeere
Backgammon im Kölner Süden:
www.backgammon-koeln.de

diane

I have been to Amsterdam 3 times, and Utrecht twice.  I would really prefer it if this were held somewhere else.  I would be interested in the place Noah mentions, as it is at least a different location.

I know whichever country it is held in will tend to get a good turn out from that country, and less from others, so the country with the most participants is often a good way to pick a place  ;)

If it is in the school holidays, there is a very high likelyhood I wont travel, as it is disproportionately expensive. (of course I will check that at the time).  I can often get two or three term time holidays for the price of one school holiday break.

How many fibsters have children and will be affected by the need to travel term time? I know erdbeere is one - any others?

I know that Adrian is also dying for us all to go to Romania and see him  ;) Can we add that into the pot?
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Paul_William

Here's one to throw into the pot.

I know of some apartments for rent in the centre of Edinburgh which sleep 4 -6 people.  Enough are vacant to cope with 20 people every weekend in August, except the 22/23 and every weekend in September.  The cost is around 300 pounds per apartment per night in August and less than half that in September.  I could also arrange a venue for the tourney, which serves drink (no food unfortunately).

Edinburgh is easy to get to for UK fibsters and for some from Germany, I don't know about other places.

The Edinburgh International Festival is on in August so I don't imagine that the apartments will remain vacant for long, so if we wanted to go for this option we would have to decide soon.

Why not come for a few extra days and take in some of the festival too?

The downside is that there is no smoking indoors in Scotland  :)

Any thoughts?

diane

That sounds good - particularly in September - and I have ALWAYS wanted to go to the festival - it would be great to catch some of that!  I will wait and see if there is any other interest though  :cool:
Never give up on the things that make you smile

cassandra

Quote from: Noah on May 02, 2008, 01:56:28 PM
This building is suited with a Foyer were we can consume our own foods , drinks and is ideal for a tourney.
There we for example can play chouette Fullscreen.
camping in the neighborhood i can help

sounds for a bg-meeting more interesting to me than stones or festivals, even if i like them much too

krautlover

I never got an answer to this question:

When are school holidays?

Wann sind die Schulsommerferientage?

erdbeere

the holidays are in germany in each of our 16 parts different. in my part f.e. they are from the 26th of june to the 7th of august.

www.backgammon-koeln.de

erdbeere

i think we should decide about the place and the date soon, to get a good and not too expencive accomodation and to start to organize the place where we can play. how about a poll now about the location (holland, scotland, prague, berlin) and maybe 2 offers of dates? and it would be good to know who REALLY will join the party, so we know for how many people we need to organize hotelrooms or how big the hous should be.
www.backgammon-koeln.de

cassandra

1. some
- made suggestions
- thought about what is needed for a fibs-meeting
- offered to help in organisazion of the meeting

2. some
- have kids
-- can only in hollidays
-- can only not in hollidays
- have no money, can not afford a big journey or a hotelroom - even staying in a restaurant for 1 day
- dont like shopping
- dont need sightseeing
- like to cook together
- like to play

3. some
- are too ill, handicaped, dont find a babysitter, and so on...

seemes really hard to organize such a meeting.
good, its not my problem ;)

on the other side, it would be good to know, who is interested in this meeting ...
and in the central point: the tourney

what about the possibility to play the tourney and not staying there?
- this would be possible in 2 suggestions i saw here: doetinchem and leverkusen - using fibs and a beamer

maybe leverkusen is better reachable:
koeln-bonn-airport is near and there is a train from mailand via zuerich, basel, karlsruhe, mannheim, frankfurt to koeln
and another from muenchen via mannheim, koeln to amsterdam and back
maybe there is also a train from berlin to koeln ;)
there are also good possibilities in sharing cars, if 2-3 cars start in basel, krotzingen, freiburg they can catch all fibsters on the way who are living in the south or south-west via karlsruhe, mannheim, frankfurt or karlsruhe, mannheim, koblenz
and: in this region there are fibsters living, who are used to organize tourneys i think :)
extraplus for leverkusen: there are bedrooms (2-4 beds) some (womenrooms) have their own bathroom, and some have it together on the floor. i will ask for the prizes and pictures if you really like.
but there are also hotels in koeln/leverkusen...

erdbeere

hey cass,

leverkusen sounds good too (and its near cologne, great for me   :yes:)

now we have a few good suggestions, time, krautlover (?), to start the poll? so we can go in medias res!

the impatient erdbeere  ;)
www.backgammon-koeln.de

Paul_William

I agree with erdbeere.

Start the poll please, krautlover

Noah

And i also have nothing against Leverkussen as long as this meeting isn't hold at Saturday, 19. Juli 2008.

Will visit the Loveparade in Dortmund then,

http://www.loveparade.com/

Are other fibster going to party there?
" If you're not living on the edge, you take too much space"

Deurdonderen

cassandra

so then, krautlover, here is the url:

karl-liebknecht-schule
http://www.dkp-online.de/kls/

i think, krautlover should decide where he likes do have the fibs-meeting. he won the last time - this are the rules.

erdbeere

hey cass,

i still think we should start a poll, so everybody has the possibility to take part at the decision. and we also should not forget hardys remark in his post: there should be someone at the place where we will meet who can organize things that are necessary (pub, hotel/house etc.).

erdbeere
www.backgammon-koeln.de

Ramses

i am just wondering if it will be a international fibs-meeting or another german international fibs-cup?
by the way: i don't like leverkusen much. there is nothing. if people want to visit a pub or something else they have to go to cologne anyway. and i don't like the idea to have the tourney in a house which belongs to a political party.
after several meetings in the west or southwest, i think we should have one more to the east (berlin, coast of the baltic sea, ruegen or even czech republic) or south (bavaria, austria).
and any place in the netherlands would fit me more than leverkusen.  :)
sorry cass!

Hardy_whv

Quote from: Ramses on May 09, 2008, 11:17:07 AM
i am just wondering if it will be a international fibs-meeting or another german international fibs-cup?

Actually this is a good question. The cup was originally ment as the 1st prize for the FIBS Party 2004 in Berlin. I crafted the cup for that party. Unfortunally I won that tournament myself, so I converted it into a challenge cup for future German FIBS parties. (see this thread for the details of the challenge cup: http://www.fibsboard.com/gathering-of-fibsters/fibs-party-in-berlin-2152352004-t134.0.html;msg2736#msg2736)

So my understanding of the challenge cup is, that it's ment for German FIBS parties (even if we had the party in Switzerland once). However, we need someone to organize it. I am quite busy this summer, as I am changing my job. I could help, but I can't do the whole job.

Only those places come into question, where we have someone to do the on-site organisation. I don't think it can be done remotely.

Hardy  B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

samirah

Hi All,

It seems like too many wants to make decisions for this party and nobody dares to decide at all! I remember that last 2 parties, it was only me, Hardy and Michael took the decisions and as far as I remember it was great party, especially the last one! (any complains?) ;)

My opinion is, the more options we give the complicated it gets, somebody should make decision and should do it quick! I think since Kraut won the tournament he should have the previlege to take that decision or?

This party becomes very international, I think it doesn't matter much anymore where it will be, as long as it stays in Europe. ( I hope not in Berlin though )

Looking forward to play LIVE bg with fibsters again  :)

Love,
sam

spielberg

I agree with the svelte one (sami that is) --- so krautlover either you pick the date and location or you run the poll for the date and/or location. Let's get this decided ASAP (as soon as possible that is for non acronym speakers) -- the earlier it's scheduled the more will come surely?

krautlover

If it's in late August I can go. If it's not I can't.

So, I would like it to be in late August. The location is less important to me. If someone can help organize a late August meeting near where they live, I would like to do that.

If there are no volunteers for that time, we can do it a different time. Sound good?

So - kann jemand eine Party planen helfen, die in späten August stattfinden wird?

Danke,
Martin