News:

welcome to Fibsboard! your global moderators are stog (and mrs stog) socksey sixty diane zorba and a wonderful group of individual board moderators ......thx to ALL

Main Menu

German / Euro FIBS Party 2009?

Started by Hardy_whv, March 15, 2009, 10:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy_whv

Hi everyone,

samirah called me two days ago and proposed to start the planning process for the FIBS party 2009. I had to think about it for a while. The party is a good tradition and has always been great fun. But I have decided, that I need one year without FIBS party. I am presently very busy and don't know yet when I will have time at all. A lot of business trips are also on my agenda throughout the year.

So if anyone is waiting for a starting signal for this year's FIBS party, I am sorry to have to say it's not coming from me. Perhaps in 2010 again.

Perhaps anyone else can take over the planning this year?! Samirah's proposals for a date for the party were either 26 - 28 June or 21-23 August.

Yours (sooo sorry),

Hardy   
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

dorbel

How about Spain? There are many nice venues in sunny Espana, plenty within easy reach of Malaga for example. It's easy to fly into there cheaply from anywhere. I would be happy to arrange a venue. Self catering apartments, with pool and sea view? I'm happy to do the pre event legwork. Come as a guest hardy, I'd like to have the chance to meet you.

spielberg

Excellent - Spain's fine with me and dorbel's administration would be much appreciated. Have you spoken with sami yet? Should we run a poll on dates?

wintom

Spain IS a great idea, although some might argument that it is neither germany nor central europe. Fact is that we would need to settle for date and place pretty soon in order to keep the airline tickets in an affordable range. Thanks for taking over dorbel!

wintom

The Backgammon Blog: Graswurzel Backgammon

samirah

I find Spain as excellent venue too! bg party and holiday in one! would be nice to know the exact dates in advance!
I'll be away from July 5-21, I'll be here >> http://www.fewo-direkt.de/ferienwohnung-ferienhaus/p19561
and before this I'm planning to go 3 or 4 days either to stockholm or helsinki, depends on what flights r still available.

we need somebody who will organize this party from A-Z! I can help with cooking if its needed!  :)

cheers, :beerdrinkers:
sam

samirah

oh and yes!  if dorbel is willing to organize this year's party it would be much appreciated!
Thank you dorbel

love ,
sam

dorbel

I am quite willing to do the research and local checking, as well as being the source of information. How much I will be able to put in during the actual w/e I don't know, as my work is often weekends. We may need a host. I suggest Torremolinos, very close to Malaga airport, a lot of budget hotels and apartments, lot's of reasonable restaurants and bars at good prices, nice beach. I suggest the last weekend in August, 28-30, but am open to suggestions. Do people want to stay two nights or three? What is considered an affordable budget for accomodation per person per night? If people like to mail me direct with answers to these questions and feedback on the dates, please do. It's dorbel(at)gmail(dot)com.

garp_02

Are we talking just a meet up or some kind of meet up and tournament?

Scotland is nice  :blush:

erdbeere

hardy, what a pity. fibsparty without you will not be the same ...
maybe in a few months things look different  :yes:

i would suggest a poll for the dates!
samis dates are ok for me, but not really great (i couldnt fly anywhere then). dorbels suggestion end of august doesnt fit me at all, sorry.
i would prefer the 31.07/01.08. or the 07.08/08.08., because then i have lots of time, also to stay a few days longer.

spain would be nice for me then, scotland for sure too (absolutly wonderful country!!).
or what about amsterdam? i would try to organize it then with some dutchies.

greetings
erdbeere
Backgammon im Kölner Süden:
www.backgammon-koeln.de

Paul_William

Spain sounds great  :cool:  Malaga is not so easy for me to get to, but I will manage!  I can probably fit any dates into my busy schedule ;)

If Scotland was wanted, I could of course organise it - and it will be cheaper now for all you Euros!!

Look forward to seeing all of you again this year!

Paul

samirah

like every year, it's not easy to find dates that will suit to almost everybody!
I hope we can decide which dates will fit us most. The sooner we decide the cheaper it will be for us all.

who wants to run a poll?

sam

diane

Quote from: garp_02 on March 16, 2009, 05:04:05 PM
Scotland is nice  :blush:

Scotland, Scotland, Scotland.... :laugh: :laugh:  I did ask last year too  ;)  Who knows, I might even be around to help put it together  ;)  Paul seems keen to help too.  I just wanna avoid Spain in July / August if that is at all possible!!
Never give up on the things that make you smile

mucki

Hi,

Quote from: dorbel on March 15, 2009, 10:46:52 PM
How about Spain?

sorry to say but i think in tradition to Hardy's party's it should be a German Fibs party located in Germany. Of course everybody from all over the world is welcome! If a Euro Fibs Party is more likely for all of us than i would suggest Ir land or Scottland. There are some wonderful locations at the seaside and the weather helps us staying in the cottage to play bg. ;-)

Have fun,

Mucki

stog

it is possible to play bg outside...........http://www.extreme-backgammon.net/

my vote would be for a west highland island ....islay is beautiful, they all are really, and then Spain with fine wine and nibbles in the shade sounds rather good too...... thx dorbel :) .and sunshine.........and sea..........

(in a future year i should be pleased to arrange something here in the Lake District.)

location poll options so far :scotland, spain, holland, other
date poll options so far:26 - 28 June or 21-23 August.or 31july-aug 2

if no one has started the polls by tomorrow i will with the above options  + any others added in the meantime

dorbel

Scotland is fine with me, as long as you avoid the midge season! Western Isles (Bute?) just great but a lot of travelling, I like Edinburgh personally. I may do a backgammon week(end) in Spain anyway, perhaps in October when I Can get a great venue cheaply and extend it beyond fibsters only. keep me posted if anybody fancies that.

samirah

Quote from: mucki on March 17, 2009, 09:00:39 AM
sorry to say but i think in tradition to Hardy's party's it should be a German Fibs party located in Germany.

I have no idea who you are or you're just having a second nick, but I've been to many fibs party and I'm sure didn't see you in any of those!

Fibs party 2006 or 07 was here in switzerland. . . . so . . .  !  U want it to be in Germany? then organize it!

Paul_William

Personally, I would go for Spain B).  I need the sun after years of cold , and maybe throw in an extra week or so there to do something else.  Western isles of Scotland are REALLY beautiful, but the midges........... I don't know about travelling for non-Scots, could be tricky.  But, I'm up for anything and will help however I can.  I suggest a poll on dates/places as soon as possible.

Zorba

I might be able to arrange something with work, but my preferred weeks are 1-23 August. June would probably be really busy for me.

About the place, I could imagine going to all sorts of countries, but it's like, the further I have to travel, the longer I'd like to stay at the party and hope there are enough people and some things organised etc.

So while I could imagine going to Malaga and have a great FIBS party there, for me it should then be more than a saturday tourney with a friday evening and sunday morning attached. Of course that doesn't have to be just backgammon!

I hope we can find some dates and place for the FIBS Party. I think it's most important to find someone(s) who actually wants to organise it! Dreaming of the perfect FIBS Party is nice, but we all have different preferences and like last year, a poll might result in something that nobody is ever gonna organise, or hardly anybody is actually gonna attend...

I hope to see lots of old friends and new faces at the EURO FIBS Party 2009!!!  :thumbsup2:

The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

stog

have put up polls for when and where --see the new "most recent" top right of front page

please re-bookmark your fibsboard.com links to the Front page(http://www.fibsboard.com) for most up to date and efficient browsing ...thx

stog

19/3/2009
ive just added August, 28-30 to the poll - for those that have already voted , don't worry as when folks have decided "where",  then i would propose we run the "when poll" again

22/3/2009 good points zorbaaaaaaaa
at present we have Spain in the lead with a definite organiser ---thx dorbel, Scotland's closing tho and we maybe have organisers?
i'll probably put up one more poll next week with just scotland and spain to give the folks who voted for others to narrow their choice -- or is this overkill?