News:

thx diane, jeeves Caleb sixty Zorba  Linus & jackdaddy Tom  Michael r_monk Anonymous  Jade & roygbiv*  our 2013 donors..cheers! we will really need Help this year as i think we will need a better Host server

Main Menu

new FINAL euro 2009 where Poll - choice of just 2

Started by stog, March 28, 2009, 12:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stog

new FINAL euro 2009 where Poll - choice of just the top 2 for those that voted for other places.....but all must vote again .....
remember Spain has a confirmed organiser
top dates were end of august.........

Paul_William

I can organise it, if it was to be Edinburgh, Schottland, so don't let a lack of organiser sway anyone's choices.

Paul

Paul_William

Also bear in mind the cost of accommodation in Edinburgh, in the hight of the festival!  I have looked around and can't find anywhere cheaper than around 50 pounds per head per night, and that is 6 sharing a flat.

I don't know how much Spain would cost........

diane

It doesn't have to be in Edinburgh though does it - it could be further up - is there anyone else to arrange something? - or any 'shares' like the ones had for the last couple of tourneys, which can be pretty much set up when everyone arrives...there are some lovely lakeside log cabins, that kind of thing...
Never give up on the things that make you smile

stog

if folks were interested there is considerable accommodation available here in the south Lakes - 100 miles south of Edinburgh - there are several wonderful campsites or - there r several new pine lodge setups which may do a deal late season. i will ask around for a possible 1 venue setup...

we actually have a holiday let in the village 2 doubles and a single upstairs, and there  are other nearby campsites/b&b's, and /or i could set up a big yurt! depending on numbers.......

there is a local train service and  liverpool or manchester airport is about an hour or so away

in the meantime http://www.golakes.co.uk/

diane

Now that sounds wonderful - anyone else interested in those?

Paul_William

I agree with Diane - that seems lovely! (and I can get the sun another time :))

Zorba

Are you interested in organising the FIBS Party there, stog?
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

dropper

I pop up to Glasgow a few times a year to see friends. Could try to be up there for a fibs gathering.
The fibster formerly known as alef.

stog

i have already sent out feelers as to whether we can hire a yurt and woodburner for late august/september.( we usually have to hire for a full week).

a positive spin scenario could then be as follows

folks can book/stay independently nearby and have the option of staying in the yurt on the saturday - when i shall try and arrange a barrel, veg curry and bar-b-q and some muso friends....and getting home might be difficult..

as we have only one door access here, and one bathroom -- and have a profoundly disabled lad to look after - we can't, i am sorry to say, offer "open house" - but for the weekend i could set up rudimentary snack making facilities by siting our campervan in the garden, and a chemical bog in a nearby tent :) with a an occupied flag to raise and lower as needed :)

for those on a limited budget and not afraid of communal yurt living - there is an option to stay in the yurt - cosy with a stove, but washing would be an issue!
there are nearby alehouses and shops for food etc,(mile walk)

if i can get hold of the yurt/ stove/help i would probably request a 45-50 euro deposit to secure it,
based on a minimum of say 10 attendees - we have a go go scenario
if not i can return said deposit or we could arrange a lesser event.

as this is a working farm and space for cars is limited, we would require folks to arrange lift sharing and/or make use of the nearby public transport - the local train station is only 20 minutes walk.

the links above in the previous posts to our holiday let and go lakes site, will give you a start point for finding accommodation .there are many campsites, pubs and b & b's in the area.

as soon as i can find out whether a yurt is available i will post dates

it seems late august was favourite with most and september might be easier as this area gets well packed in august.

if it rains we will have the yurt (can easily accommodate or sleep 20)
if it doesn't then  there are nice areas scattered in the garden for playing.

ok that was the best scenario

but as we may have started on the needed extension here - to allow our wheelchair bound son to live downstairs, we would then have to restrict the use of the yurt to the sat and sunday but that would be ok i feel - as long as folks were aware of our situation.

also if takeup was looking bigger then i would look into siting the yurt elsewhere
maybe not chapel island.

garp_02

All sounds a bit hippy/new age to me - veg currys and tents etc.

Count me out

:sleep:

stog

quite agree it does

there are some wonderful country house hotels in the area and so if folks wanted i could perhaps arrange something, folks would be free to find accommodation nearby at whatever budget they required.

eg http://www.graythwaitemanor.co.uk/index.htm

ps Spain's catching up!

diane

I just want to be able to bring my dawgs, then I can stay and dont have to worry about em  :thumbsup2:

stog

maybe garp could come up with something more hip?
or do i mean 'less hip'.........
maybe it was the veg curry he didn't like the sound of; perhaps he might prepare a wee recipeeeeee

garp_02

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude.

Though I do have a recipe for the best chicken curry in the world  :thumbsup:

stog

i was invited to a festival in southern scotland in september which could make an excellent fibs meetup = http://www.edenfestival.co.uk/index.html
: folks could pay at the gate i am sure, so advance booking wouldnt be necessary

garp_02