News:

**Inspired by recurrent discussions in FIBS shouts on issues concerning science and consciousness, we have introduced an ISP Board on Fibsboard.com ...a space set aside for more considered esoteric meanderings on ideas science and philosophy --- "concept formation and elucidation" .....> the philosophy/physiology/ structure and function of a fibster or fibsboarder!
take a look at http://www.fibsboard.com/ideas-science-and-philosophy/

Main Menu

Should I prevent a back game in this situation

Started by pilzgift, December 29, 2014, 11:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilzgift

I have the following position in gnubg

GNU Backgammon  Position ID: 2NbgADSMt4MBJA
                 Match ID   : cAk3AAAAAAAE
+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+     O: gnubg
| X           O  O |   | O  O  O  X     X |     0 points
| X           O    |   | O  O  O          |     
|                  |   |                  |     
v|                  |BAR|                  |     1 point match (Cube: 1)
|                  |   | X                |     
| O           X    |   | X                |     
| O           X  X |   | X        X     O |     Rolled 65
| O           X  X |   | X        X  O  O |     0 points
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+     X: pilzgift
                    Pip counts : O 163, X 140

The best play according to gnubg is to hit 24/18*/13. If he will re-enter from the bar, this will give him the opportunity to build a prime on the 2 and 1 point and the situation will possibly lead for him to play a back-game. I played against the advice of gnubg not hitting his 18 point and eventually won the game. Is it a good tactical decision to prevent the opponent to play back-games or prevent him to have a even number of checkers in my home (which can lead to a dangerous prime) as in this situation?

dorbel

Not hitting is, as Gnu told you, a big blunder. You are correct to say that generally speaking in this type of situation you want to avoid sending a fourth checker back, because it gives your opponent the chance to make a second anchor. Here though you pay a big price if you eschew the hit, because it leaves one of your men still on the ace point and it gives your opponent the opportunity to make a five prime with his next six or make his bar with an ace. It also allows him to play all of his next roll, notably 6-6, 3-3 and 6-3 his disaster rolls if he is on the bar, are now very bad for you. The swing on these four numbers alone is enormous. Even if he does make a 1-2 back game next turn, well that isn't very bad and certainly not as bad as the alternative.

pilzgift

I understand, thanks for your detailed explanation.  :cool: