News:

VIP Donor members can now edit photo galleries and utilise an extended Custom Profile with buddy lists. Join them - for the price of a beer!

Main Menu

Here was my LadderBot idea from improveFibs

Started by burper, February 08, 2004, 08:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burper

First, the original text, then some further notes after thinking about it some more:

---

LadderBot. maintain a "ladder" of players. When you log into fibs and
register with the LadderBot (needs to be done each time you log in to
fibs), you start at the bottom of the ladder. You challenge players
within N rungs above you (5?). Players MUST accept 1 in M (3?)
challenges, if they are not already playing within the ladder, or have
asked the LB for a timeout.

If you beat the higher player, you switch spots in the ladder. If you
lose, nothing happens. The format is fixed (5 pointers, time limit).
Use the replicated robot to watch matches and automatically update the
ladder.

If you log off fibs, you leave the ladder.
If you play outside of the ladder, you leave the ladder.
Timeouts granted for P minutes (10?).
Watching bot allows Q minutes between moves only (3?).

The LB keeps all players informed of challenges, ladder changes within
their range (N above and N below).

The current king-of-the-hill can be shown in the address field of LB,
as well as included in every other announcment made. Announcements are
done via tell, with no shouting by the bot.

---

The bit about replicated robots is unappealing, simple because of the account pollution. It doesn't solve the fundamental problem anyway, which is:

badguy is complaining that goodguy won't play, when in fact, it is badguy that won't invite or join. LadderBot has no way to confirm this as FIBS does not broadcast invites to anyone who wishes to listen. goodguy is helpless in this case.

also, timeout's would obviously be restricted, i.e. not limitless.

Can RepBot help here? is the fear of complaints enough to make people not be bad? Probably not. Should LadderBot just award the higher reputation the win in the above case, and hope it doesn't happen too much? Far from beautiful as far as solutions go.

Oh well.

jinnate

i'm unsure if this is applicable or if i'm understanding right, but fibs does broadcast invites. at least i think i've found a way that macfibs "sees" players invites.

and another thing, why only hold the rating while the player is logged on? well, okay, i'd get more excited at the prospect of "seeing my name in lights", as kari puts it, for a little bit. if the idea is not to have the usual suspects hogging the top of the food chain, then how about declining ratings which fall a little over a period of non-pusage?