News:

**Inspired by recurrent discussions in FIBS shouts on issues concerning science and consciousness, we have introduced an ISP Board on Fibsboard.com ...a space set aside for more considered esoteric meanderings on ideas science and philosophy --- "concept formation and elucidation" .....> the philosophy/physiology/ structure and function of a fibster or fibsboarder!
take a look at http://www.fibsboard.com/ideas-science-and-philosophy/

Main Menu

Weird

Started by drshosha, April 11, 2005, 04:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drshosha

Hi, this is so weird, I don't kow how to describe it. I used every other client to play on FIBS. Then, with JavaFibs 2001, everything worked well except, when I kibitiz or chat, my system freezes, dsl modem disconnects or a combination.

I've noticed this mouse/system freeze once or twice before when browsing a java heavy website. While at other times, my dsl modem disconnects coincidentitly when my cursor freezes, EVERY time I use JavaFibs 2001 and do anything more than play, like trying to chat or kibitz, it freezes my system on and off for about 6 seconds repeatedly.

Just thought I would post in case someone has an idea.

Thanks.

socksey

JavaFibs is a large program and I had slowing and freezing problems until I upgraded my computer.  You may be running too much on your system.

socksey

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." - Harry S. Truman x

drshosha

Thanks for the reply, I dont think its the program because I can use it fine with dial-up (living hell!). Its some weird problem between this DSL modem and how it works with java, in particular JavaFIBS, I think.

gammondude

i too had a problem with the javafibs.  after playing more than one game my whole computer would freeze up. ( i have a cable connection)  its a shame because there were several features of the client that i really liked, but for now its back to 3dfibs.  (not that there is anything wrong with that!  its user friendly and itself has several features which i really like, the trick would be to combine the best of the 2)

cthulhu

Wich version of the Java Runtime did you (drshosha, gammondude) use? I have had reports that JavaFIBS2001 doesn't work so well with Java 2 1.5.x on Windows XP. If you want to try to use it I suggest you (and everyone else on XP that wants to use JavaFIBS) download and install Java 2 1.4.2 from http://java.sun.com/ instead.

I don't know why this thing happens and since it seems to work for me on all Java versions on Windows XP I can't really dig into the problem.  

drshosha

I was on the sun.com site and they suggested using  5.0 version of the Java Runtime Environment from java.com. I tried it and same thing. So, I went back to sun.com and I will try Java 2 1.4.2.

In my case, I can play except when I chat or kibitz, then my DSL moden disconnects and system begins to freeze for about 6 seconds over and over.

Because I have no problems playing, chatting or kibitzing when using dial-up, I have to think that the DSL moden firmware or something is invloved however unlikely that is. It just too bizarre!  :) Any more ideas are welcome.

Addendum:  I tried Java 2 1.4.2 and same problem. The only thing I know for sure is that I can chat/kibitz etc using any other FIBS client but not with Fibs2001. With Fibs 2001, playing is perfect. So, its either a conflict with Fibs2001 and my system, or something weird with my modem and fibs2001 which makes even less sense.