News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2012 cheers!
..thx Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, aviator, r_monk ,captainmubbers,Tom roygbiv*, anonymous and yyy

Main Menu

Bago-time

Started by don, April 29, 2007, 07:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don

FIBS is an international server and time-zones can be confusing.  In league play and many other tournaments it can be difficult and confusing to schedule matches.  UTC time can be used, but produces problems:  Has the US congress (or other international governmental bodies) changed the time-standard for Daylight Savings' Time?; this year?; Has Patti updated the FIBS' clock?; For what countries?

I propose a new international standard, Bago-time!

The current rules, inconsistently observed, for Bago-time are:
QuoteEvery Sunday 10:00 GMT (will start on the 18th of December 2005)
Every Tuesday 19:00 GMT (From the last Sunday in March To the last Sunday in October)
Every Tuesday 20:00 GMT (From the last Sunday in October To the last Sunday in March)

I propose cleaning up those times for consistency to 10:00 and 20:00 GMT, Sundays and Tuesdays, regardless of time-of-year.  The advantages are obvious:

• Most league and tourney players know when Bago occurs;
  • They are only confused during changes to and from Dalight Savings Time in whatever country they live in as relates to the rest of the world;
  • They are capable of keeping track of their own local time anomalies;
  • Tournament Directors are no-less capable.
I believe that by making Bago-time consistent we can simplify matters for individual users and create an independent and international time standard to aid global users in their adjustment to the 21st century.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

Tomawaky

UTC/GMT time don't matter about Daylight Savings' Time ! It's always the same.
This clock is universal and is the clock used at FLG Homepage.

A Bago-time regardless of time-of-year has an obvious drawback that Bago would not be hold at the same personnal time in summer and in winter ! :frusty:
There would be ever confusing, during changes to and from Daylight Savings Time.... :blink:
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

socksey

I'm always shouting this link when I'm in Fibs:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html

The above site has a meeting planner feature that you click on and select a city in your time zone, which then gives you the UTC/your city selection on a corresponding chart, so you can easily establish what the time is for you. 

The other link I am always shouting is the tournament page link which has all the scheduled tourney times listed here:

http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/tournament.htm

If you save these links to your favorites list in Windows, you will always be able to get the right times for the scheduled tourneys.

Oh, and for those who don't know, UTC and GMT are the same time.

socksey

"I think---therefore I'm single." - Lizz Winstead