News:

Add your picture URL in your profile.

Main Menu

gnubg-eastern style play

Started by dno, May 08, 2010, 11:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dno

hi there-i've only been playing for a couple of months,and as i don't know anyone local who plays i've been using the excellent gnubg software.yesterday whilst chatting with a friend the subject of backgammon came up-turns out he plays as well.the only problem is he lives nearly 100 miles away,so i introduced him to gnubg,as getting a game together is going to be tricky at best.
now heres where i hope someone on here could give me a bit of help and advice.
the variation my friend plays is an eastern version where you are only allowed a maximum of 5 checkers on each point.according to the gnubg manual it does support this version,but gives no info on how to configure gnubg to play this variation-any help or tips on doing this are gratefully recieved.
oh just one other thing,if its not possible to configure gnubg to play this variation,does anyone know of any other boards that support this variation ?
cheers
dno

Zorba

Hi there,

GnuBG used to have this option in the past ("Egyptian rule: no more than 5 checkers on a point") but it was removed at some point (I think more than two years ago). One of the reasons to remove it was probably that GnuBG isn't trained to deal with these rules specifically, which in some cases can make huge differences with "normal" backgammon rules. So it would sometimes make terrible moves with the option on.

It might be possibe to obtain an old version of GnuBG that still has this option, look around on gnubg.org
The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill