News:

"Fibsboard allows for more considered reading and response, whereas Fibs shout is a more intuitive interaction"

Main Menu

FLG Ranking vs unplayed Matchs

Started by Tomawaky, August 24, 2005, 12:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy_whv

About shuffle.
I let know know this.
The 3 Top players from goldA go to MasterA
The 3 Top players from goldB go to masterB
The 3 low players from MasterA go to GoldB
The 3 low players from MasterB go to GoldA
This make some shuffle

And sometimes I make some other shuffle between MasterA and MasterB
But it is not easy and who knows who do not say to me that I still will receive the complaints of right-hand side and left as what it is not equitable............., why him and not me.............., yes but this league is stronger than the other...., and so on and so on.

Tomawaky, I know this kind of shuffle, but as I am in Master A (without going down to Gold) for about 2 years now, there is no shuffle for me so far   :tears: Thats why I would appreciate some additional shuffling between the "core Master players" as well. Hope it does not cause to much work for you as TD?!

People are so strange some times  :(

Quite true, but waren't we a bit strange ourselves as well  :D

Cu on FIBS soon,

Hardy

Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

adamosad

This may satisfied you Hardy :D

I agree with the opinion that shuffle is needed BUT I do not agree that this must be the reason for playing a FLG session without a champion. If you have that in mind then you must do that very often (e.g. twice a year) so more shuffle can take place. Consequently we will lose 2 champions and 2 play offs. This can be a problem as the demand for the league may reduce.

I want to give you an alternative idea. Why do not insert an additional rule instead!!!

For example (modification of current rules):

MASTER LEAGUE:
Two 11-Pt Semi-Final between the winner of one league and the second of the other will determine the League's Final which should be played in 13Pts, and the winner to become the new League's Champion.
The 3 last players of each division (10, 11, 12 positions) will move DOWN to the Gold League and the 3 last that they remain (7, 8, 9 positions) will remain in master division but switch to the other group.
GOLD LEAGUE:
With 2 divisions, the top 3 (1, 2, 3) players of each will move UP to the Master League, and the last 3 (10, 11, 12) DOWN to the Silver League. The 3 last that they remain (7, 8, 9) will remain in gold division but switch to the other group.
SILVER LEAGUE:
With 3 divisions, the top 2 (1, 2) players of each will move UP to the Gold League, and the last 4 (9, 10, 11, 12) DOWN to the Bronze League. The 2 last that they remain (7, 8) will remain in silver division but switch to another group.
BRONZE LEAGUE:
This league is divided in 4 parts. The top 3 (1, 2, 3) players of each will move UP to the Silver League. The last 6 player (if they want to continue playing in the league) will switch to another group.

With this plan, no waste league time will be created and NO-ONE will complain again. Master league groups will not change 25% like today but 50%, gold from 50% to 75%, Silver from 50% to 66,67% and bronze from 25% to 75% (in case of 12 players)

dorbel

It is my opinion that if I forfeit to somebody, I should get a point for that match regardless of whether or not the opponent confirms. One of the players to whom I conceded, EddieVedd, has no valid contact adress and has not been on fibs since July 22nd! Another match against Travis, I lost and posted but he never confirmed. Why shouldn't I get my points from these matches?  

Tomawaky

QuoteIt is my opinion that if I forfeit to somebody, I should get a point for that match regardless of whether or not the opponent confirms. One of the players to whom I conceded, EddieVedd, has no valid contact adress and has not been on fibs since July 22nd! Another match against Travis, I lost and posted but he never confirmed. Why shouldn't I get my points from these matches?
Ok to get the point from Travis, but let me know that Travis did not confirm before the end of the session.

For the other point I am not convince, The 1Pt is for player who take time to play their match (and lose), not for those who decided to resin to get that point.

If you try to contact your opponent and do not hava answer, then ask for forfeith but do not post a lost.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

Tomawaky

QuoteI want to give you an alternative idea. Why do not insert an additional rule instead!!!

Yes it's maybe the idea.

Until now it was very much work for me but I have recently made some automatic process that make my job easier.

The last thing is to ranking players when their number of points are equal. A thing that I do manually.

But It's maybe the good Idea for the next sesssion
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

tryout

Tomawaky and Iceborg,

After sleeping over it and re-reading I've come to the conclusion that I overreacted, probably quite a bit. So I'd like to apologise for my attack. Sorry! Hope you'll accept it.

In order to add something more constructive here is my view of the ranking rules.
I think the one point per match as an incentive for playing all matches is good. There are enough unplayed matches even with it.
I'd view the 6-4 vs. 6-5 problem in the same spirit. The 6-5 player should be rewarded for having played one more match, even though it's been lost. Sure, the 6-4 player could've at least drawn level if he played. But he didn't. And in the big majority of the cases he could've helped it by writing contacting mails in time. Then he gets either a forfeit or plays the match. If a player didn't write a mail there's nothing to complain about.

Just read the newly suggested rule for forfeits...
Attaching the sent mails only at the end of the season doesn't work. This way it's not provable if, with which content, when and to whom the mails have been sent. It's very easy to make up a fake email conversation.

I didn't have time to fully read adamosad's shuffle suggestion since F3 is going to start soon. I'd suggest that the first 2 or 3 players of the Master divisions are swapped every season (the play-offs should be played irrespectively). This way there are 5 - 6 new players every season also in Masters. An additional benefit is that not one Master division gets "heavier" than the other. At least it should help to level both divisions. The lower divisions are imo taken care of with the current shuffle system.

GammonLeague -- Join free Backgammon tournaments
[size=8] [/size]
FIBS TEAM League -- Play Backgammon with friends in a team

BushSucks

QuoteSpooky! Actually one MaterA player has been moved into MasterB, our old friend tryout! We thus lose Travis, a nice opponent, who has gone to MasterA. I wonder why that happened? Couldn't we have lost don instead?
Well, Dorbel's quite right! Now I miss the endless joy of winning against tryout! Sure, I don't always win, but... sometimes is enough!

Don't we all have that _special_ opponent... ?!

Hopefully there will be another shuffle going on between the two Master Divisions for the next session... I want my tryout back!

BushSucks

OK, now back to serious stuff: should there be a complete shuffle between ALL the divisions?
I think no. Players in the Master or Gold devision are there because of their skill and the willing to complete all their matches in the past (...and some luck). Otherwise they would have never gone up all the long way from sezame or bronce to Master and Gold. So they have already shown their will to play all the matches. In the last 2 sessins the reliability and will of completing all matches has dropped a little bit in Master and Gold, but before that it was quite good.

In the lower divisions it had been always bad, which results in , let's say, about 2 or 3 players with only 5 or less matches.

So I think it is not a good idea to put dorbel, sakis or spock in a low division, just because they are on #6 or #7 in their group in the current session and only for the reason of shuffeling all the shuffle...

Keep the current divisions, with the rules of going up/down one level.

Maybe it would be a funny idea to shuffle all Master players on completely random draw into two master groups for every new session, (and the same for all other divisions as well) but I can imagine that this is just too much work for Tomawaky.

ANother word on scheduling matches and time zones? How about putting the european players in one group and the ones from N+S-America into the other? Or at least TRY to put them in a group of their similar time zones?! Just an idea...

After all, I wanna say that I enjoy the FLG as it is, and even the rules for scheduling and forfeiting the matches are clear.

The only change I would like to see is penalizing someone for not finishing his/her matches stronger than now. e.g. a player who has less than 8 matches will be deleted completely.
Regards, BushSucks