News:

All new Fibsboard.com for 2011 --" your unofficial Forum for all fings FIBS."
New Membergroups, new boards including topical discussions, Campaigns, Culture and Gossip. Photo Galleries, Forum Backgammon vs Top Guest, and much much more.........faster and improved, with sas :)

Main Menu

Cocoafibs V0.5 Beta Expired?

Started by PolyphonicBrie, October 01, 2005, 09:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolyphonicBrie

Hi

When I start CocoaFIBS, I just get a message saying "The Beta Copy of this Software has Expired".  Then it quits and sends me to the CocoaFIBS homepage.

It's been fine up until now.  I have tried trashing my preferences, but this does not help.  I have also tried re-downloading the client and re-installing, but this does not help either.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Cheers
PolyphonicBrie

Mystyk

PolyphonicBrie

I don't really know much about this sort of thing, but it looks to me like an expiry date was hard-coded into the program code.

Obsessed

:o Cocofibs Denied!! :o

I tried to play today and received the expiration notice. (I did a reinstall as did Polyphonic Brie)
I agree with Polyphonic and believe the expiration must have been hard-coded in.

We need our fix back!!!  Especially me!  I'm Obsessed!!!

knackered

Me too ! I tried deleting the preference file still won't work !

A workaround is to set the system date to a date prior to Oct 1st.

TomnLosAngeles

same thing here.. I tried to sign on using cocoa fibs this morning, it says This version has expired.
What gives??

SirLuzalot

cocoafibs is still bollox, dunno why an update is necessary when apperently 'genius' now even can't be bothered covering basics and make his continuing saga, still a beta version one year later, but I'm sure there are only new invisible upgrades that prevail in the mind of the creator who seems immune to requests and crash logs and now this...

Oh well back to the ole board, why bother, next time Cocoa will simply refuse to make me coffee

Bollox I say, having to sit there and sort out a mockup, people, it aint the end of the world...

They say Java is really good

Ill stick with MacFibs, still just solid, well except for a few hiccups

Cheers    

Chronos

Yup, my beta has expired too. I suppose Adam got sidetracked in his development schedule?

ultra

I hate the Javafibs, please Adam Gerson finish the beta, cannot change the date on my computer due to icalc.

Promise to give a spiritual donation since I am very poor and canÃ,´t afford to do it in cash.

Thanks in advanced.

andyotter

By lucky coincidence, I downloaded and tried this  hours before it expired. Tried changing my Mac date- it does work. Hope Adam returns  soon; until then it seems I'll have to run it from a removable drive with fake date! And I was about to make a donation.... *

In the meantime, do I gather from these posts that CocoaFIBS is the only user-friendly OSX interface around?

*might even make one for ultra as his was the first FIBS game I ever watched!

PolyphonicBrie

Quotecocoafibs is still bollox, dunno why an update is necessary when apperently 'genius' now even can't be bothered covering basics and make his continuing saga...
Well, current problem aside, I think that CocoaFIBS is excellent.  I also have no problem with the speed of development, given that CocoaFIBS isn't actually commercial software.

andyotter

Quotecocoafibs is still bollox, dunno why an update is necessary when apperently 'genius' now even can't be bothered covering basics and make his continuing saga...
Well, current problem aside, I think that CocoaFIBS is excellent.  I also have no problem with the speed of development, given that CocoaFIBS isn't actually commercial software.
fair comment; I'm not going to criticise the guy for doing something for free! Hope he does have the time to return to the project...

ergo

Same problem here. How about sharing the source code and get more developers on the project? I would join.

Greetings ergo

Obsessed

:D Me too!  I'd try to help with open source code!!

-Obsessed

PolyphonicBrie

I cannot code, but I would make everyone cups of coffee, and offer words of encouragement.

Regards
Polyphonic B.

agerson

Ok. I think open source would be a good idea. I will start a thread about it. I have posted a new version to the website. Just download it and your expiration problems will go away.

Adam

andyotter

QuoteOk. I think open source would be a good idea. I will start a thread about it. I have posted a new version to the website. Just download it and your expiration problems will go away.

Adam
C'mon you lot, altogether now: " Thank you very much for the update, Adam, we're very grateful for your work"!

diane

QuoteOk. I think open source would be a good idea. I will start a thread about it. I have posted a new version to the website. Just download it and your expiration problems will go away.

Adam
I dont use it, not having a mac and all, but those words 'open source' always make me feel very happy  :D
I am sure this will make a lot of mac users happy - those who havent started to get used to java in the meantime... ;)

Thanks, agerson for making this move - it all helps makes fibs stronger.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Mystyk

Where on the website?  Or which website?  

ultra

Hello andyotter, tell me something, did at least I won the match you watched? hope I did.

greetings

PolyphonicBrie

QuoteWhere on the website?  Or which website?
Go to http://homepage.mac.com/agerson/cocoafibs/ and re-download and re-install the client.  The client still says it is v0.5, but Adam must have removed the exipry date.

Seriously, Adam, many thanks for doing this.

Regards
Polyphonic B.

ultra

Thanks a Lot Adam G., downloaded the new version and runs as smooth as ever.

Since I cannot make a donation due to new baby and all, next time you are down here in Mexico City I will be glad to buy you a couple of beers.

In the meantime I send you my best wishes.

ultra

And remember!

THE BIGGER THE RATING, THE HARDER THE FALL.[SIZE=14]

kayetwo

I'm experiencing the same problem.  Has anyone found a solution?  I even tried using JavaFibs but Fibs is no longer recognising me. 

dicemaster

Quick and ugly fix. Before you launch CocoaFIBS set the time/date to last year. after the app has started up you can switch it back.
The easiest solution isn't always the best.

BANQUE

Hi all of you!

I wrote Adam an Email. and i would apreciate
when you would do the same: agerson@mac.com

Let him know that his help is needed.

Hope to see you soon on FIBS!

BANQUE

msprague

OK I hope Adam does not get mad, but I've fixed the current version of CocoaFIBS to run until the year 2007.  Please understand that I'm just trying to help out.  I'm sure Adam would want for the community to continue enjoying CocoaFIBS.

You can download the patched version here

Thanks,
-Maurice

BANQUE

sculptor

Quote from: agerson on October 03, 2005, 04:10:05 AM
Ok. I think open source would be a good idea. I will start a thread about it. I have posted a new version to the website. Just download it and your expiration problems will go away.

Adam

which website please...a link would be handy :-)

padski

Quote from: sculptor on October 02, 2006, 07:04:27 PM
which website please...a link would be handy :-)

http://homepage.mac.com/agerson/cocoafibs/

The post by adam that you quote is from some time ago, and the client that he posted at the time has expired (I expect that's what you're seeing), but I understand he has recently posted a renewed one in the same place.

0graham0

To fix the expiration message just open CocoaFIBS with a hex editor ( i.e. http://hexedit.sourceforge.net/ ). Find the two hex instances of "32 30 30 37" and replace the  string with "32 30 39 39". This will keep the program running until 2099. Hope this works for everyone, let me know if it doesn't...

socksey

QuoteI'm experiencing the same problem.  Has anyone found a solution?  I even tried using JavaFibs but Fibs is no longer recognising me. 

Geeeeeeeeeeeez, I don't understand all this laboring with Cocoa Fibs when JavaFibs is so good and praised by Mac and PC users alike!  AND, it's free.   :yes:  What more could you want?

socksey

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night - Dave Barry

0graham0

different strokes for different folks...

webrunner

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

PolyphonicBrie

Quote from: socksey on October 31, 2007, 01:50:28 PM
Geeeeeeeeeeeez, I don't understand all this laboring with Cocoa Fibs when JavaFibs is so good and praised by Mac and PC users alike!  AND, it's free.   :yes:  What more could you want?
Personally I find JavaFIBS horrible to use.But each to their own.

If CocoaFIBS could just get its bugs ironed out then it'd be be the best FIBS client on any platform.  It already nearly is, IMO.

PB

socksey

QuotePersonally I find JavaFIBS horrible to use.But each to their own.

I suspect you didn't take the time to learn how to use Javafibs to your best advantage.  If you want to try again, I am happy to help individuals.   ;)

socksey

Never lick a steak knife. - Dave Barry