News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2012 cheers!
..thx Botchee, sixty, zorba, caleb, ettu, trrroglodyte, diane, aviator, r_monk ,captainmubbers,Tom roygbiv*, anonymous and yyy

Main Menu

Bago Is Back On Sunday & Bots Trouble

Started by Tomawaky, December 04, 2005, 01:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomawaky

From the 18th of December, the Bago sunday session will be back and hosted by Anakin.
Time would be Sunday at 10:00 am GMT.
This would give players from Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and others the chance to take part at a convenient time.

Now I would like to inform that if Bots trouble keep going and does not allow TDs to manage the Bago Regular Tourney in a easy way.
I will give up BAGO....I am not ready to do it manually and I thinks others TDs not either.

I was thinking about hosting it at ClubGames, but I am not sur Fibsters are ready to go there .....
So Feel Free to propose any other idea.

Thanks you, Tomawaky
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

diane

I am glad to see this spot back and hope the bot troubles can be resolved - it seems a shame we cant keep this little extra dimension of fibs good stuff alive.  
Thanks Anakin for taking this on - and I hope you can get help - since being there every week is a huge commitment.

I am starting to feel the same way about Fridays3, splitting the tournament between two bots causes more of headache with regard to keeping monthly totals together. Manual bracketting is time consumming for those already giving up their free time and missing out on playing so others can.

Lets see how this goes and maybe consider hosting elsewhere if the need arises.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

adamosad

Nice to see bago back on sundays 5 hours before Rating CHampionship  :D

Now about the bot problems: I have just logged in to start the tourney , Tourneybot is missing and Tbot is down. So i can't run the tourney. Something must be done!!! :angry:  

amarganth

Same here. I'm not willing to do Tourneys fully on paper.  If TourneyBot is away for a special reason, ok, as an exception. But not as normal.

I would try ClubGames, if necessary.

Please :help: us, MadMatt.
To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

Tomawaky

Hello, sorry to annouce it but I will not host any more Bago session.
Tonight, on more time, Tourneybot drop just 2 minutes after the start of the session.
I don't want to go on with it cause I can't rely on it.
I keep maintaining the League, swiss and Flgty events cause I have full control on it but I do not want to waste my time for Bago.

So the first tuesday of the month is free. I will keep posting results for other session if I receive them but will not do more.

Sorry. :tears:  
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

gammboy

Do we know what the problem with the bots is?  The tourneybot code is open source, and can be easily run on almost any platform.  The TDs could just fire up their own copy when they want to run a tourney.  I have downloaded it and run it myself, it is relatively simple to set up.

GB

MadMatt

I will investigate the issue when I have time, however, I would like to point out that TourneyBot had been online every second of the day for over four weeks, during which several tourneys were held without a problem.

It is inevitable that occasionally a glitch will happen, even professional products usually only guarantee 99% of uptime.

I would suggest that people who run regular well-known tourneys have their own copy of the bot which they can use in the event of TourneyBot being down. If you're not willing to run tourneys "on paper", the effort of setting up and running TourneyBot is minimal compared to handling all the details of a tourney yourself.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

diane

I am getting one set up for me here to run, once I have that - I will post an idiots guide to running your own.  With the best will in the world, you computer people assume we know all kinds of things that we dont  :D  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

Tomawaky

QuoteI would suggest that people who run regular well-known tourneys have their own copy of the bot which they can use in the event of TourneyBot being down.
Hi Matt. What are the requirements to run your bot ?
If I can run it by myself, I am ready to go on

amarganth

I think, it's not that easy to run the TourneyBot code. Please correct me, if I'm wrong. The problems are:
  • You need a new account
  • All players need to know that account for that tourney
  • The "standings bagolympic" cannot be used anymore, if there is more than one TourneyBot with their own Database. It needs to run with the same database ("standings <tourneynr>" will work as expected).
  • Globally banned players etc are now also locally managed
To be is to do
          Sokrates
To do is to be
          Sartre
Do be do be do
          Sinatra

MadMatt

QuoteI think, it's not that easy to run the TourneyBot code. Please correct me, if I'm wrong. The problems are:
  • You need a new account
  • All players need to know that account for that tourney
  • The "standings bagolympic" cannot be used anymore, if there is more than one TourneyBot with their own Database. It needs to run with the same database ("standings <tourneynr>" will work as expected).
  • Globally banned players etc are now also locally managed
Actually, those are all valid points. Multiple bots mean that the results database, banned players database etc. will all be out of synch. In addition, it's questionable if you want to litter FIBS with several bot accounts and have players remember all of those. And then there's the problem with potential external services depending on TourneyBot (gui client integration, the TourneyStatsBot etc.) which all excpect to receive data from THE TourneyBot.

Still, a backup bot is an option if you don't want to run tourneys by hand. For example, there could be a single BagoBot account shared by all TDs who run Bagolympic tourneys. If TourneyBot is not available, the TD would just roll out her private copy of the bot and log it in as BagoBot. Then the results database could be synchronized by hand. Of course, a better solution would be if TourneyBot supported modification of results by TD commands which certainly was a planned feature at a time.

If anyone wants to code them, please feel free - if it meets the minimum requirements for quality and usefulness I will even merge it the main code trunk.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

burper

Technically its' against Patti's rules to exchange accounts, so I would advise you to clear it with Patti first. I have no idea if she would allow Bagobot sharing or not.

MM, could the fsdb be "rolled up" and emailed between admins? Perhaps only if they are on similar OS's and similar file systems.