News:

please ensure your email address is "up to date" in your fibsboard profile or personal messages won't get through -- thx
ps  you can set your email as non public

Main Menu

Checker Play Ethics

Started by m00se, January 18, 2006, 09:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m00se

Had an 'interesting' experience a few days ago.  We were in the bear off and I had 3 checkers left; one checker on my 1, 2, and 3 point.  He had a bunch left over.  I rolled a 3/2; played 3-1, 2-off.  He rolled, then I re-doubled.  He then got a little mifed at me (I suspect it was more because the dice gods saw fit to give me a couple of sets of big doubles and came from behind [something like 80 pips or so).

As I see it there were 3 (so-called) unconventional plays.

1. I 'should have played: 3-off, 2-off.
   I see this kind of 'sily' play all the time over-the-boad and personally I kinda like it.  Just a little variety in the play.  I've seen people roll boxes and play their runners (on the 24 point) to the bar-point (7-point) then move two from the 13 point back to the 18-point.  Unconventional to be sure but the board looks exactly like a legal play.  I suspect the Monte Carlo the director would have a talk with the player but I've seen it done in regional tournaments (Chicago to be exact) and no complaints.

2. He should have resigned.
   Some people just like to roll it out until the disgust causes them to stand up and walk away (BG is full of frustration as we all know).

3. I 'should' have just rolled rather than re-doubled on my lasy roll.
   Yeah, I admit, that was a bit petty of me but you do see the bots on FIBS play that way.

I admit had I been him (on item 3) it would have annoyed me but keeping your cool is very, VERY important in this game (as with all games actually).

Comments??
~mOOse

socksey

Quote3. I 'should' have just rolled rather than re-doubled on my lasy roll.
Yeah, I admit, that was a bit petty of me but you do see the bots on FIBS play that way.

I have had other players be insulted that I wouldn't accept a resign when I wanted to see it if the game was a gammon, even though it made no difference in the winning of the match.  That happened often when I was a less experienced player.  The player who got upset was an experienced player and his view, I was wasting his time.  I can understand that now, but recalling my own experience, I am tolerant of others doing the same thing.

Seems to me some players are just rude and intolerant of anyone.  Some aren't.  When you learn this, it is easier to accept the rude are who they are.  I, personally, just laugh about it and go on.  If the rudeness bothers you, then you just don't play those players again.  Color them in red to help remember them (JavaFibs, for instance).  

IMHO, it is waste of time, yours and mine, not to offer a resign when losing is inevitable.

The checker play you sited, made no difference.  Both ways won the game.  Both ways required two rolls of the dice, so I see no difference with either way.

There are some references to Backgammon etiquette/sportsmanship/ethics on the net.  Here are a couple:

http://www.redtopbg.com/essays.htm#sportsmanship
http://www.bkgm.com/rgb/rgb.cgi?view+1149

socksey

If you face that which scares you to death, the death of fear is assured - Greg D Stirnaman

dorbel

Playing 3/1, 2/off is fine. It's a legal play and it is your prerogative to make any legal play. Moreover, it makes absolutely no difference to your opponent. Doubling with only two checkers left on the ace is petty and makes your opponent resign. It would mildly irritate me, but not to the point of mentioning it, but I don't think that you should do it.
The real life "funny moves" thast you refer to, like the business with the 6-6, is illegal and irritating. Don't do it. I always ask my opponent not to do this, as it makes it much harder to spot illegal plays. Another ploy that needs to be checked is the opponent who enters your checker from the bar for you. Don't allow it. The way to stop them doing it (after politely asking them not to of course), is to let them enter your man for you with the number on one die and then play both numbers yourself. WHen he questions the legality of this you point out that you have played legally and it was his play of your checker that was illegal! A good tournament director won't support you, but the ensuing row should stop him doing it again.
As to Socksey's refusing to accept a full resignation of a position, I would consider that a good reason to drop somebody! It's just discourteous to make your opponent roll and play in a position that he has resigned, but as Socksey points out, some players are just rude.

Dale_Ward

Personally, I don't know enough of the nuances of the game to know when I should be annoyed at someone's "silly moves".  I do know enough to question an illegal move, though.

As for knowing when to resign... in my case, it's usually right after the first roll!  :P  

mOOse

Yup, I would agree the double with 2 checkers left is legal, however I would also consider it a bit rude (or just petty).  Guess I was a bit miff'd he didn't resign earlier.  The ol' tit-4-tat bytes me in the arse again  *sigh*. Naughty mOOse. :blink:

As for the over-the-board play's; the funky way to play double 6's I see quite often at the local club but never in a tourney (only been to two).  At least not at my table.

Anyway, you're right, BG is for fun (at least on FIBS) and the key is to ignore the rudeness and have a good time.

Happy Shakin'
mOOse

adamosad

QuoteAnyway, you're right, BG is for fun (at least on FIBS) and the key is to ignore the rudeness and have a good time.
That is the spirit :) The most important thing is having a good time ...