News:

want some cool sounds while you browse the boards.... see the new collapsable web radio section on the LHS, below birthdays, on the Front page

Main Menu

Current Plans For Repbot

Started by avik, March 03, 2006, 03:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy_whv

QuoteNot true Hardy. The saved game lasts for N days. I forget what N is, but its' greater than 30 I think. Anyone remember?
Well, whats "after a match has been played"?

If the meaning is, "there is a saved game in the saved games list", than we should write down the rule this way.

But: What, if the match has been played until completion, but your opponent was rude? Or, you completed a match, have been kind, and still got a complaint?

I have a complaint from fesal. We played once, I can't even remember, who won. But for sure, I was friendly as usual. And I got a complaint. He cant even explain, why he complains, because he does not speak english.

I somehow feel the need, to counter-complain for causeless complaints  :D

I still think, RepBot is useful, even the way it is presently implemented.

Hardy  B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

burper

QuoteNot true Hardy. The saved game lasts for N days. I forget what N is, but its' greater than 30 I think. Anyone remember?
Well, whats "after a match has been played"?

If the meaning is, "there is a saved game in the saved games list", than we should write down the rule this way.

But: What, if the match has been played until completion, but your opponent was rude? Or, you completed a match, have been kind, and still got a complaint?

I have a complaint from fesal. We played once, I can't even remember, who won. But for sure, I was friendly as usual. And I got a complaint. He cant even explain, why he complains, because he does not speak english.

I somehow feel the need, to counter-complain for causeless complaints  :D

I still think, RepBot is useful, even the way it is presently implemented.

Hardy  B)

Well first, he said he would do 4 only if required. I don't believe it will be.

Assuming it is however, RepBot would need to either detect that a match was started by listening to fibs. It would need to maintain a list of matches started for some expiration period. It would only allow complaints if the match between complainer and complainee was on that list.

Now repbot might not be connected at the time your match is played, or it might somehow miss the match report. Either way, you take a lump, but this shouldn't happen very often.

I would assume this would not apply to vouches, but that seems a tad asymmetric :)

There is still a question with regard to what he meant when he said "played". Is he implying that the match had to NOT have been completed? Not sure.

diane

QuoteI have a complaint from fesal. We played once, I can't even remember, who won. But for sure, I was friendly as usual. And I got a complaint. He cant even explain, why he complains, because he does not speak english.
I wouldnt worry about that - after all fesal complained about himself too.... :wacko:  
Never give up on the things that make you smile

socksey

I seem to remember 90 days, but not automatic.  Sometimes varies slightly.

socksey

"We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART?" ââ,¬â€œ Anonymous  

Patti

I would actually cast a pretty strong vote for dumping the database.

At a philosophical level, a vouch now means something entirely different than it did when you created it-- you're not just saying that they're OK, but you're also saying you trust their opinion about who is OK.  The semantic shift suggests to me that a clean database is in order.

If RepBot winds up only accepting vouches/complaints within a relaatively short time of playing a match, then a clean database is mandatory.

moonshadow

Why stop with dumping the rep database?

I say dump all the ratings and everybody starts over with 1500. Should be fun!

It will make all the bottomfeeders and manipulators have to work a lot more to get back to those stratospheric ratings. :D  

Hardy_whv

QuoteA great idea!

Dump the ratings and start over! Why stop at resetting to 1500? Why not reset to 1300 or 1000?
I think there is some misunderstanding. The RepBot database with the reputations will be resetted, the ratings would not be affected. They have nothing to do with RepBot.

Hardy  :rolleyes:  

socksey

QuoteI say dump all the ratings and everybody starts over with 1500. Should be fun!

Novel idea!   :lol:   That would be FUN!  See all the cheaters scrambling to regain ground!  

socksey

"When life hands you lemons, ask for a bottle of tequila and salt." ââ,¬â€œ Anonymous

adrian

Hardy:
QuoteI think there is some misunderstanding. The RepBot database with the reputations will be resetted, the ratings would not be affected. They have nothing to do with RepBot.
No misunderstanding Hardy!
QuoteDorbel :In my opinion this would be a good idea anyway, in fact fibs ratings could also do with resetting to 1500 as well
, and finally :
Quotemyself:Touche Dorbel! Why not, Patti?  .
It will be good to reset all ratings? I say yes.

I must add tho: 1500 + 0.1 rating points for every 1000 points experience if rating is above 1500, and 1500 - 0.1 rating points for every 1000 eperience points if actual rating is below 1500.  This  is fair, in my NOT humble oppinion.  ^_^  
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

Hardy_whv

QuoteNo misunderstanding Hardy!

I must add tho: 1500 + 0.1 rating points for every 1000 points experience if rating is above 1500, and 1500 - 0.1 rating points for every 1000 eperience points if actual rating is below 1500.  This  is fair, in my NOT humble oppinion.  ^_^

Okay, still it was a misunderstanding .... from my side  :huh:

Then I don't like the idea of resetting the ratings. Many people work hard - with fair means - for their rating, including:

- studying backgammon books
- analyzing their matches
- avoiding made mistakes in the future
- learning METs
- etc. etc.

Those players who use unfair means to get a high rating will continue to do so in future. The way to avoid those people ist not te reset all players to "zero", but to kick those lousy creatures out of FIBS.

A rating should reflect the strength of a player. Resetting it is like communism. It just doesn't work.

Hardy  B)  

BushSucks

A rating should reflect the strength of a player. Resetting it is like communism. It just doesn't work.

Holy sh**, POLITICS in fibs ?!

If that is holds true, then my play of backgammon is like communism too: it doesn't work either!   :blink:  B)  :blink:

Cheers, BushSucks

burper

So we're down to the final hour, literally (at least UTC), and I haven't noticed any changes.
Is it dead yet then? Or will it linger and leave a stench?