News:

we welcome new Sponsors..keep the board going.....advertise your thing for a modest donation contact the webmaster@fibsboard.com

Main Menu

Devils' Dice

Started by louis_cypher, May 30, 2006, 12:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

louis_cypher

Hi all Fibsters,
                 I am planning on starting a new tourney, running on the first and third wednesday of every month. Any comments on format would be appreciated - for example - would you prefer single or double elimination etc.
                 Also if any other tourney directors are interested in co-hosting please let me know - then maybe we could hold on a weekly basis instead.
                 Looking forward to hearing your views........

Planning on starting June 7th 2006 at 6:66pm (19:06 GMT/UTC).
                    (would have liked to start 06/06/06 but Bagolympic running tuesday nights...)  

Tomawaky

Double elimination because this kind of event is not present actually
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

adrian

- the time frame is ok for me
- I suggest 2 pt matches, 5 pt finals (1762 was a nice tourney!)
- I`ll help if necessary, and if you e-mail me in due time

:-), Wooohooo!
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

Sequit

Louis...The 2/5 point double elimination tourney was fun, but an ongoing series
is not attractive. It took a lot of time for a tourney with such a high luck factor. A 3/5, as common as they are, or even 3/7 are still the most attractive to me.

Thanks for your effort, and I'll participate, however you decide to run it.

louis_cypher

It has been suggested that we limit the number of players to about a dozen to speed the whole process of double elimination up. Any views on this anyone....

diane

I am not sure that 12 players would be any faster than 16, since there will be the same number of rounds.  It is the number of rounds that will affect the time taken, and if you have any particularly slow players who dont get a bye in the first round  ;) If you wish to set a limit - set it at 8, or be quite severe about times for matches.  Set the time limit at 20 mins per match (example) and then stick rigidly to it - to discourage players from getting into complicated situations.  I am not sure I am entirely in favour of that - but it is just an idea of how to get things moving faster.  There is room for a regular double elimination tournament I think - but maybe at the weekend when fewer players are time constrained?
Never give up on the things that make you smile

louis_cypher

Well it kicks off tonight and it will be double elimination 3 pt matches 5 pt finals. minimum 4 maximum 16 players. i'm aware that this could take some time to complete so be prepared........... if you enter.
  good luck to all....and thanks for the input so far
                                                       louis_cypher

diane

Since I am away from home - and the best I can do is get in with a 56K portable connection.....perhaps not  :D  Hope it goes well, however - and see you next week!
Never give up on the things that make you smile

louis_cypher

Sorry everyone,
    my pc died on me at the beginning of the summer, which meant that i've not been able to host this at all. However, i'm back online again now so if there is still interest i will resume this little competition. Let me know if there is any interest out there.
                                  best regards,
                                            louis_cypher

socksey

Gee, I must have missed this the first time around, but there is always interest in tourneys.   :cool:

Limit of 16 players seems good and is fairly fast.  1906 is an OK time, but I might have trouble remembering which Wednesdays are tourney ones.   :blink:

GL!

socksey

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. - George Washington Carver

spielberg

Excellent - another tourney. I'll summarise for any newbie/guest.

Date: 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of month (what happens on the rare times there's a 5th Wed?!)
Time: 7:06 pm UTC - or 6:66 for the superstitious amongst us.
Format: Simple Knockout for up to 16 players with 3 pt rounds and a 5 pt final.
Host: louis_cypher.

Please note these will be tourneybot tourneys. If you're interested in playing then "tell tourneybot announce" at your command line.

There are two MAJOR advantages to tourneys:

1 Your fellow contestants are extremely unlikely to be droppers.
2 You can play anyone at any ranking - if you fancy playing a human with a rating over 1900 rather than a bot often a tourney is the best way to achieve this, particularly if you're fairly new to FIBS,  and humans are MUCH more fun to play.

Lastly I'd like to add my thanks to louis_cypher - a devil with a heart!

louis_cypher

Thank you spielberg for your interest.
However there are a few things to clarify:
1)the 5th wednesday of the month when it occurs is time off for us all unless there is demand for me to host.
2)this will be a double elimination tourney, just for the hell of it, and because no-one else is running this type of event. Double Elimination differs from Single Elimination in that every player has to lose twice before being eliminated from the tourney. On the first loss, a player is transferred to the lower (=loser) bracket where they continue to play until the second loss. The winner of the tourney is the only player left with one or no loss.
3)This tourney will be 3pt matches with a 7 pt final.
4)Minimum of 4 players and maximum of 16 players.
5)To register "tell tourneybot register 1845" after i have opened the tourney for registration at 6:30 pm UTC.
6)I will be starting this tourney tomorrow night (October 4th 2006) at 6:66pm or 7:06pm UTC.

I look forward to seeing you all there,
                                                                             louis_cypher

socksey

How confusing is that?!  There is no 6:30/7:06 PM UTC.  There is 1830 and 1906 UTC.  Is that when you mean?  If that is the case, I probably won't be able to participate tomorrow.   :cry:  Maybe next time.   :mellow:

This is where I go for time schedules:  http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

and here for other time info:  http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html

socksey

"It's only puffy when it's swollen." - Charlie Hough, Baseball player, describing his broken finger

louis_cypher

Quote from: socksey on October 04, 2006, 10:21:44 AM
How confusing is that?!  There is no 6:30/7:06 PM UTC.  There is 1830 and 1906 UTC. 

Thank you for clarifying that socksey, yes that's what i should have said. opening for registration at 1830 UTC and starting at 1906 UTC