News:

Play our  New Fibsboard Position of the Week --> perhaps give your comments/reasons thx..here's the link  http://www.fibsboard.com/position-of-the-week/

Main Menu

JavaFIBS Applet in Mac browsers

Started by alef, January 21, 2004, 11:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alef

Any experts around who might be able to figure out why cthulhu's excellent applet loses it's menus on Macs?

The System, Chat, User and Board windows all pop up correctly but don't have the menus at the tops which allow all the key options. I've used the JavaFIBS Applet (or sometimes ParlorPlay.com) quite a few times when I've been at internet cafes, but on Macs it's never worked. I've tried IE (in both OS 9 and 10.2) and Safari, all are missing the menus.

Thanks,
Alef

cthulhu

Don't you get the menus at the top of your desktop as you do in normal Mac programs? Remember that the only the active window's menus would be shown there.  I used JF on a mac with the applet launcher (MRJ?) and IIRC the menus were available. I haven't run it with any browser on a Mac though.

alef

There are the browser menus which don't offer anything new, and nothing at the tops of the windows for connecting, etc. From what I can remember you connected using a menu in either the System or User windows? Below is a screenshot.

-Alef

cthulhu

That's odd. I guess I could do so that JF connects automatically to FIBS at startup. At least people would be able to login with the Mac then.

alef

That might work, although still all the menus wouldn't be available. But I guess once you're connected you can do everything through commands if need be?

Since Macs aren't used casually very often, and we have both JavaFIBS download and MacFIBS available, I wouldn't worry too much. By posting here I was hoping that a Mac expert might be able to give a simple explanation to solve the problem...

-Alef

gammonman

I'm having the same problem not seeing the main menu and just getting the board, user, chat and system boxes over the top of a blank screen which just tells me not to close  this page while using java fibs, think i've downloaded everything I need but still no joy. Very new so would be grateful for any help. I'm on windows xp.

alef

Do you know which version of java you have? If you're just trying to connect to FIBS for the first time maybe use http://www.parlorplay.com/ which works in any browser (note you have to register once with ParlorPlay itself and then a second time with FIBS).

webrunner

:)
Better try one of the other clients for Windows like 3DFibs, JavaFibs, WinFibs, RealFibs or C4Fibs.
You can find more info and links to all the clients on the here.
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

cthulhu

QuoteI'm having the same problem not seeing the main menu and just getting the board, user, chat and system boxes over the top of a blank screen which just tells me not to close  this page while using java fibs, think i've downloaded everything I need but still no joy. Very new so would be grateful for any help. I'm on windows xp.
That's odd. I have tried the applet on Windows XP and the menus show there. I had downloaded and installed Java 1.4 (Java Plugin) when I tested. There are only menus in the User Window and Board Window.