News:

All new Fibsboard.com for 2011 --" your unofficial Forum for all fings FIBS."
New Membergroups, new boards including topical discussions, Campaigns, Culture and Gossip. Photo Galleries, Forum Backgammon vs Top Guest, and much much more.........faster and improved, with sas :)

Main Menu

Future Of Fibsboard

Started by webrunner, August 04, 2006, 11:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What shall i do with Fibsboard?

Shut it down forever?
1 (2.2%)
Just upgrade the forum script to be more save?
10 (22.2%)
Just upgrade the forum and renew the lay-out?
5 (11.1%)
Add more features like picture galleries, news and articles (contributed by members), general backgammon information, etc.?
29 (64.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

mrbond

I often look in on fibsboard and it's often simply as a guest. I am able to read any threads without having to sign-in! May I suggest that inorder to be able to read any of the topics, it should pop up with a signing on prompt!! This would obvioulsy increase membership and give the site some exclusivety! (is that a legitimite words??... exclusivety)

Another thought I had recently, was to have a dedicated chatroom, accessible via fibsboard. This would mean that if you are logged on to play and wish to chat to the rest of the members who are also online, you must log on to fibsboard to enter the room first. The function of kabitz or private chat with friend or foe can still be done, however, purial crap and nonesense sprouted out in the shouts can be transfered into another location!

I feel we should also have a "newbie" section, where any new members to the site can introduce themselves and be welcomed by other members. I know from playing some of the newer members on fibs, that they do find it difficult to get a match.

I think the layout of fibsboard is excellent and easy on the eye, but I would prefer to have the "Latest Discussions" section, divided appropiately into the forum category. For instance....

Latest Discussions

Chit Chat ... Just A random rant (maria/date/time)
Newbie ....  Can please someone tell me my rep (snowjake/date/time)
Backgammon dilemas .... Quiz, first 6 wins (nabla/date/time)
Pictures and links ..... World Cup 2006 (Ramses/date/time)
Humour.... Dictionary for women's personal Ads (mrbond/date/time)

I do have a few more ideas tucked away in my head, but I am unable to locate them  :wacko: but rest assured I will be back with other suggestions!

Love & Peace  
;)  
That will be shaken, not, stirred!

webrunner

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

diane

One thing that occurred to me is a regular backgammon puzzle - ie a position with several moves suggested and people pick their choice of move - with of course an area to discuss what the best move is - and why.  Perhaps run on a weekly basis.  I know this kind of thing is done elsewhere - but I dont go there as often as I come here  ;) A lot of the others do that on a daily basis - I think a week might give more people more time to consider the situation and the arguments for each move.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

don

The one option you leave out of the future of FIBSboard is the possibility of objective censorship, or the lack thereof.  It is currently arbitrary and subjective, and reduces the value of this valuable server.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

burper

objective censorship. there you have, don is requesting to be banned.

spielberg

I agree with most of the above except the censorship of course but think the most useful thing we could have is a "Guide for Newbies".

While I agree that the number of lurkers is interesting I don't think that forcing them to register will work - I think they'd just be scared off.

webrunner

A guide for newbies is a great idea!
Someone that wants to write it?
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

diane

QuoteA guide for newbies is a great idea!
Someone that wants to write it?
Weren't a lot of these already written and translated into a host of languages???

There is a start at least here fibs official site clicking on the flag for a country gets you some help in that language - but I was sure a more comprehensive FAQ list had been compiled and translated - did that die somewhere along the road?
Never give up on the things that make you smile