News:

VIP Donor members get fewer ads;  Donate - don't be late
cheers

Main Menu

A Problem With Tourneybot?

Started by diane, August 11, 2006, 08:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diane

I had to have a stand in host for Fridays3 this week - and to make it easier for this less experienced TD - I set up the tourney to run on tourneybot and left them to open and run it at the right time.  There seems to have been a small error however - and I wonder if any explanation can be found.

16 players registered....

TourneyBot says: Registered: 16 (Tourney #1812)

They were - TourneyBot says: cowgirl, spielberg, Im_not_gimmeluck, Schigolch, resh_lakish, fibs, Feklhr, iowcoops, Sequit, wyzzz, Danny_Gallagher, socksey, LuckyDice, IO_Pan, elisee, cesarguimaraes

However, some time after the tournament started - one player approached the TD asking why he did not have a match to play.  Round one looks like this:

TourneyBot says: Listing Tourney #1812 Round 1 (match length: 3):
TourneyBot says: T1812R1M1 (3-pt): socksey (1655) def. Im_not_gimmeluck (1548) 3-0
TourneyBot says: T1812R1M2 (3-pt): spielberg (1689) def. Feklhr (1527) 3-2
TourneyBot says: T1812R1M3 (3-pt): fibs (1532) def. cesarguimaraes (1504) 4-0
TourneyBot says: T1812R1M4 (3-pt): Schigolch (1780) def. IO_Pan (1396) 3-0
TourneyBot says: T1812R1M5 (3-pt): LuckyDice (1719) def. elisee (1710) 3-2
TourneyBot says: T1812R1M6 (3-pt): resh_lakish (1623) def. wyzzz (1378) 3-0
TourneyBot says: T1812R1M7 (3-pt): Sequit (1761) def. iowcoops (1567) 4-0
TourneyBot says: 7 out of 7 completed.

With cowgirl getting a bye - and no match at all for Danny_Gallagher  :wacko:

Any suggestions???
Never give up on the things that make you smile

don

I note that Danny_Gallagher does not show up in any of the later rounds of tourney 1812 either.  Is it possible that he was disconnected at the time TourneyBot was making the assignments, then logged in again?  It doesn't make much sense but I don't know the TourneyBot code...

The only other thing I can think of is a pointer error, which sometimes happens to even the most robust of programs when they have been running for a while.  This can occur because of stack or heap glitches, or due to garbage collection (to name some possibilities).

(Maybe TourneyBot was listenning to the 1812 overture in honor of tourney #1812, and hit the boom boom while making assignments!)

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

socksey

Perhaps your question would be best directed to MadMatt, personally, or possibly to burper.

My first thought was Danny didn't sign up right, but he is on the players list so, of course, that cannot be the problem.  This is something new to me.   :rolleyes:  

socksey

"An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936)

burper

One explanation is that the player listing shown was generated after DG signed up, but before the tourney started. At some point after that, DG withdrew, leaving 15.
If socksey swears the list came after the start, then there must be a bug. TB's transactions look pretty solid to me, and I have never seen this happen before.

diane

lol burper  :lol:

that aside - check it now...

No - I have never seen this either - nor anything like it - which is why I asked - and drew madmatts attention to it here in the tourneybot forum.

don

I apologize to FIBSboard for taking part in a xxxxx xxx.  I thought this was a legitimate discussion, not xxxxx and xxxxxx's little thread for xxxxxxx.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

socksey

Quotewhich is why I asked - and drew madmatts attention to it here in the tourneybot forum.

You are assuming MadMatt reads everything in this Fibsboard forum, which he may not, which is why I suggested you bring it to his personal attention as well.

QuoteI thought this was a legitimate discussion

Right you are, don.  This is a legitimate discussion and will remain so.

socksey

"I give a propaganda reason for starting the war. Never mind whether it is plausible or not. The victor will not be asked afterward whether he told the truth or not. In starting and waging war it is not right that matters, but victory." - Adolph Hitler (August 22, 1939)

diane

You are assuming MadMatt reads everything in this Fibsboard forum, which he may not, which is why I suggested you bring it to his personal attention as well.

This is the correct place to iron out issues with tourneybot, Madmatt keeps a close eye on issues raised in this forum and deals with them promptly (there is a feature here which emails you if posts are made of particular interest to you) - I assume this must still be working - cos I happen to know he saw it - I saw him reading it  ;)

webrunner

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

MadMatt

This is strange and really shouldn't have happened. Fortunately TourneyBot has been running for months now without going offline and hopefully the logs will be able to provide some clue as to what happened. I will look into it when I have some spare time though, so don't expect a quick resolution. If it happens again or should you come up with further information regarding this bug, please post it here.
MadMatt
----------

TourneyBot Website

diane

QuoteI will look into it when I have some spare time though, so don't expect a quick resolution.
np - there is no hurry - I dont recall it ever happening before, I am sure it isnt a big problem. (It is probably something padski did - being new and all- but dont tell him I said that  ;) )
And thanks for the ongoing support.