News:

happy holidays! take your board to the beach!

Main Menu

About the rule of playing the higher dice

Started by Hattori_Kanzo, October 05, 2006, 11:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hattori_Kanzo

The situation: I have 1 men in the bar. I roll 1-4. I could move only 1 OR 4: if I move 1 then I could not move 4 and if I had moved 4 then I could not move the 1.

The question: what the Rules say? Must I move the higher dice (4)?

tnx in advance!

diane

if you look here http://www.bkgm.com/rules.html rule number 4 seems to cover it...

A player must use both numbers of a roll if this is legally possible (or all four numbers of a double). When only one number can be played, the player must play that number. Or if either number can be played but not both, the player must play the larger one. When neither number can be used, the player loses his turn. In the case of doubles, when all four numbers cannot be played, the player must play as many numbers as he can.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

socksey

There must be a simpler way to say all that.  Maybe just make the most out of your numbers when possible.  Fibs won't allow you to play wrong in any case.  So, if you aren't able to play what you want, you must be doing something wrong.   ;)

socksey

"I think the team that wins Game 5 will win the series. Unless we lose Game 5." - Charles Barkley, NBA Basketball Player   :laugh:

diane

Quote from: socksey on October 05, 2006, 04:49:31 PM
Fibs won't allow you to play wrong in any case. 

Not everybody only plays on FIBS  ;) It is important to know the rules when at a live tournament - if you make an illegal play - it can cost you a great deal.
Those rules I linked to are particularly clear and easy to follow, I have seen much worse.

khona

What happens if a player makes a mistake (illegal move) in a tournament?  Letââ,¬â,,¢s say I roll 4-3, I move one checker 4 pips and I accidentally move another checker 4 pips instead of 3.  What would happen to me?  Also, at tournaments - does each backgammon board have a referee? 

don

The move stands, just like when you pick up your dice in real life.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

diane

Quote from: khona on January 11, 2007, 12:57:02 AM

What happens if a player makes a mistake (illegal move) in a tournament?  Letââ,¬â,,¢s say I roll 4-3, I move one checker 4 pips and I accidentally move another checker 4 pips instead of 3.  What would happen to me?  Also, at tournaments - does each backgammon board have a referee? 

At a live tournament you will not have a referee watching - and even if there are some other circumstances which have required you to have a TD watching - they are not allowed to tell you of any illegal plays which occur - it is ENTIRELY up to you to watch your opponent and ensure his moves are legal.  This is one of the factors which makes live play more demanding - you have to play the game, watch your opponent and ensure you don't mess up either!!  In the event of a foul move the rule is this:

QuoteA turn is completed when the player picks up his dice. If the play is incomplete or otherwise illegal, the opponent has the option of accepting the play as made or of requiring the player to make a legal play. A play is deemed to have been accepted as made when the opponent rolls his dice or offers a double to start his own turn.

So, essentially, if the illegal play is actually better for you - you can leave it as is (ie if they roll a number which brings them off the bar - but they don't notice it and stay there..), or make them play it - the choice is yours.  If you roll your dice, then notice a mistake - that is too late - once you roll, you have agreed their move is ok and must play on.

This is a nice site with the rules quite clearly explained http://www.bkgm.com/rules.html have a look.

socksey

QuoteWhat happens if a player makes a mistake (illegal move) in a tournament?

If you are speaking strictly on line playing, it can't happen.  The clients won't allow it, which is one of the beauties of playing online.  If you mean live play, then what diane and don have said is very true.

socksey

I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it. - unknown