News:

welcome to Fibsboard! your global moderators are stog (and mrs stog) socksey sixty diane zorba and a wonderful group of individual board moderators ......thx to ALL

Main Menu

Fridays 3 -- should it be on trial?

Started by don, November 24, 2006, 08:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don

This morning I tried to register in a Fridays 3 tournament by responding to:
Quote> diane shouts: *** WELCOME to Fridays 3. 3-pt matches, 5-pt final. Tourney will start in 5 minutes, please be ready to play your matches. To register for this tournament, type 'tell diane REGISTER F3' ***
> ** You tell diane: REGISTER F3

I never received any confirmation of my registration, nor any response to any queries I made to the TD if I was registered or not.  I asked another user to query the TD with this result (other username is irrelevant here so I substitute ***** in the following dialogue):
*****  says:
            *****: is don in?
            diane: no
            *****: do you have him gagged or banned?
            diane: gagged through his own silly fault
            *****: can he play fri3?
            *****: he wants in
            [no reply]

Now I have some problems here:

• JavaFIBS implements its own internal gag command.  This means there is no way for a user to be aware that FIBS' communication is not reaching its destination.  (In fact, it does reach its destination.)  This is particularly inappropriate in a FibsLeaGammon-sponsored tourney -- the TD, at least in this case, should make things clear by setting the FIBS' server-gag as a matter of courtesy and clarity.
  • According to http://fibsleagammon.free.fr/tournament.htm the TDs for Fridays 3 are Kari_Grandi, BushSucks, Houtx and Diane.  I've played in tourneys sponsored by two of these TDs with no problems.  Since this is a monthly-cumulative tournament, it's clear if one TD refuses entry to a player that player's chances are vastly reduced.  Therefore a player should be banned by all TDs or none .
  • I perceive my problems with this particular TD as personal.  I have no objection to shouted insults by this user (including just prior to the tournament in this case).  But I believe this TD representing FibsLeaGammon should leave personal quarrels out because it reflects on the credibility of FibsLeaGammon itself.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

diane

The answer I short and easy don - don't hurl abuse at a person and they don't gag you. Then you get to play with the other children....I quote you in a message you left for me once...

QuoteMessage from don: BTW:  You know I disagree with you on some specifics, but after your polite behavior running that tourney last week, I really can't see any reason on my part to continue animosity with you.  'just thought I'd mention it.

Yet a few days later - when you misunderstood a simple comment, you launched into the most outrageous personal attack on me - using the kind of abuse usually attributable to those you claim to criticise. 

You were gagged then - and you will stay gagged - and yes - this means you cant communicate with me to enter a tournament I run.  You go out there and find a club, pub, tournament, any public event that does not state the right of those running the event, or hostingm or managing to refuse admission. Consider yourself refused - and henceforth ignored.

And thanks socksey - you can always be counted on to mediate fairly and wisely...
Never give up on the things that make you smile

vegasvic

both you and don are one messed up puppies !!
thats all lush !!

don

With respect to FibsLeagammon and TDs who represent FibsLeaGammon I must say that diane's reply does not address the major issues here.  I raised  three specific issues:

• The issue of feedback -- An attempt to enter a tourney should result in some response from the TD like "you are entered..." or "you can't enter...";

• The issue of consistency -- In a cumulative tournament such as Fridays 3, all TDs should agree on who can enter or not;

• The issue of personal probems -- Personal problems should be waived when a user is acting as a TD representing FibsLeaGammon.

The response of the diane, TD for this particular match, does not address my first two issues at all.   Instead she merely reinforces my third.

Her response quoted a polite communication from me, made reference to a "most outrageous personal attack" from me with no quotes (I wonder what that might be?), and other than insults to me, dragged in another user who is irrelevant to this discussion.  (I refer to the user I asked to ask diane if I was registered or not.)  After spending eight minutes composing her reply here, she promptly flamed with no provocation both me and the user who tried to help me communicate with her on FIBS.

In my opinion, the third and least significant issue I raised is now the most significant issue .  Should a TD who represents FibsLeaGammon be allowed to bring her personal issues into play when running sanctioned tourneys?

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

Zorba

The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

burper

Just remember vic, all dons' posts become the "intellectual" property of webrunner too.
:)