News:

Biggest free backgammon community - members from over 150 countries. Play backgammon for free on Fibs.com and enjoy the community on fibsboard

Main Menu

Cube handling in a match bearoff position

Started by yordanh, December 18, 2006, 03:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yordanh

Would like to discuss a position which occurred in a 17-pt match played online.
I was leading 9-away, 17-away. Opponent had the cube at 4 and was on roll. I had 9 men left, opponent had 10. Neither had a checker on the 6 or 5 points or more than 4 checkers on any point. I do not remember the pip count (is it important for the decision?). Opponent doubled and after 5 seconds i took and later lost 8 points to level the score. So was it a double and was it a pass/take?
My reasoning without doing calculations- take and win means it's 1-away, 17-away Crawford, take and lose it's even and pass is 9-away, 13-away. Should be an easy take but is it?

don

I set it up in gnu, yordanh, and got the following, redouble/take if you are bearing of --> (extra men on 3,4 points), redouble/pass if you are bearing off <-- (extra men on 1,2 points).

XXXX  opp. 17 away on roll owns cube=4
XXXX
XX

O
OOOO
OOOO  you   9 away

• Cube analysis   (--->)
    3-ply cubeless equity  +0.224 (Money:  +0.224)

0.612 0.000 0.000 - 0.388 0.000 0.000

Cubeful equities:
       1. Double, take         +0.912
       2. Double, pass         +1.000  ( +0.088)
       3. No double            +0.728  ( -0.184)

Proper cube action: Redouble, take

• Cube analysis  (<---)
    3-ply cubeless equity  +0.360 (Money:  +0.360)

0.680 0.000 0.000 - 0.320 0.000 0.000
    Cubeful equities:
      1. Double, pass         +1.000
      2. Double, take         +1.181  ( +0.181)
      3. No double            +0.845  ( -0.155)

Proper cube action: Redouble, pass

So gnu at least thinks it matters where the checkers are.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

Hardy_whv

yordanh, when playing online you should have a logfile of the match. On every trustable online play site you have the possibility to log your matches. There are VERY few sites that don't provide logging, and I would never play there.

For most problems the EXACT postion matters. Can you provide us with the position?

Hardy  B)
Visit "Hardy's Backgammon Pages"

yordanh

This was played at play65.com, match for fun money. Though I have saved games this one is missing for some reason so the exact position is not available. The best I remember is that opponent's 10 checkers were evenly distributed on 4, 3, 2 and 1 points, no gaps. My 9 checkers were similar but I am sure I missed 2 times by rolling a 3 which means I had a gap or a single checker on the 3 point. (I also now think I had 2 or 3 checkers on the 5 point, correction to my original explanation). Sorry for not being able to show exact position.
What would you do over the board was my main question. Thanks for the rollout results as well.