News:

VIP Donors can remain anonymous while still enjoying all the benefits.......

Main Menu

New TB Features in the works

Started by Tom, July 26, 2007, 03:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socksey

I like dealing with one bot and I like posting my results to fibsboard.

socksey

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner

spielberg

Quote from: Tom on April 14, 2008, 11:54:58 AM

Are there any other (useful) sorting methods?

Thanks Tom for yet another improvement. When you implement the new sorting arrangemnets I would prefer the ability to choose whether tourneys run with seeding or without. Only one other seeding method comes to mind, and to be honest allowing Calcutta auctions for fibs tourneys does seem rather pointless as as we all know (and NIHI demonstrates so admirably) fibs rating points are worthless!

Tom

Quote from: socksey on April 15, 2008, 02:26:47 PM
I like dealing with one bot and I like posting my results to fibsboard.

I am not talking about a new bot :)

And the bracket reporting is just an option for sites like FLG etc

tom

Tom

Quote from: spielberg on April 15, 2008, 06:31:59 PM
Thanks Tom for yet another improvement. When you implement the new sorting arrangemnets I would prefer the ability to choose whether tourneys run with seeding or without. Only one other seeding method comes to mind, and to be honest allowing Calcutta auctions for fibs tourneys does seem rather pointless as as we all know (and NIHI demonstrates so admirably) fibs rating points are worthless!

Ok so an option to select sorting...

Random Seeding (What is done now)
Rating
Registration Order
Name order

When working with a league (like FLG) I might be able to sort by League rating (as opposed to FIBS Rating)

If FIBS Rating is meaningless, what rating does have meaning?

tom

spielberg

Quote from: Tom on April 15, 2008, 10:13:26 PM
If FIBS Rating is meaningless, what rating does have meaning?

tom

Now there's a philosphical question! I didn't mean the rating meaningless, I meant it's "worthless" in the strictest sense of having no monetary value. Although I suspect the use of a formula from chess, an efficient game where one should play as if your opponent is perfect, is not ideal for backgammon, which I'd argue is inefficient like many gambling games, I suspect it's the best model available. That's not my view - it's Doug Zare's whom as a math professor regularly working with Field's medalists and Nobel laureates I'd tend to trust on math.