News:

"Fibsboard allows for more considered reading and response, whereas Fibs shout is a more intuitive interaction"

Main Menu

dropping = loosing

Started by VirginB, November 03, 2007, 12:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VirginB

Hello,

I am new here and I also experienced lot's of droppers while playing only a few games. As you might guess that only happens when I was about to win...

Considering the quality of modern internet connections I believe that drops due to technical reasons should be quite seldom...

I am wondering: why doesn't the software counts dropping as a lost match? So this way the problem should disappear immediately.

What do you think about it?

Regards
VirginB

webrunner

because the quality of internet connections isn't really the same all over the world. There are a lot of countries that still have bad connections.

A "Save match" command would be very nice.
I would like it to work like this:
Implement the "save match" command wich saves the match indefenately. Dropping from a mach only saves it for a week. After that is would be counted as a lost match.
Too bad the Fibs server isn't developed anymore. :(
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

mmenz

Tomawaky

Antoher good rules for saved match is what was done at netgammon a long time ago (not sure it's always like this)
At each connexion to the server you must play your turn on the saved game before playing any other match. Then the match will end if still both players continue to play on the server even if not connected at the same time.
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

webrunner

The problem is that we can't change the server configuration.
that is probably one of the first features i would add.
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

Prae

Why not? No rights? Who runs the server?

Prae

webrunner

The serversoftware has been unchanged for at least 10 years. the author no longer commits to it as far as i can see.
Patti runs the server but as far as i know she can't alter the functionality of the software.
maybe because she is not allowed to do that, or maybe because she is not able to do that, i don't know the exact reason. :unsure:
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

socksey

No rights!  Patti, who you will see log on and off frequently, moderates.  She keeps the site running for all of us.  Since Fibs is a free playing site, it's her choice with the tools she is provided.  This is the way it is and this is the way it will be.  Sorry.  This topic has been discussed many times here on fibsboard.  If you go through the forum subjects extensively, you will find much.   ;)

socksey

"I never married, because there was no need. I have three pets at home which answer the same purpose as a husband. I have a dog that growls every morning, a parrot that swears all afternoon, and a cat that comes home late every night." - Marie Corelli

webrunner

wich doesn't mean it should me discussed again every now and then.
Times are changing and decisiones should be reviewed from time to time.
;)
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

dennis

you drop you lose the game-----in the past month OMID & CHIPHEAD have dropped. omid 3x ( 2x on saved matches) & chiphead 2x. its bull that they can hide from any penalty.

webrunner

Quote from: dennis on February 07, 2008, 04:11:24 AM
you drop you lose the game-----in the past month OMID & CHIPHEAD have dropped. omid 3x ( 2x on saved matches) & chiphead 2x. its bull that they can hide from any penalty.

define dropping. What oif my connection fails and i an willing to finish the match later?
Bruce Lee
Orion Pax |

sixty_something

the only defense against droppers is using RepBot regularly, indeed every time you get an invite from someone you don't know .. this has also been discussed extensively here on fibsboard .. next to droppers, RepBot probably is the next most frequently criticized topic on FIBS

if you use javafibs, you can easily set up programmable buttons to have RepBot readily available to check players you might want to invite or inviters .. here is the code i use for my two most frequently used programmable buttons (the capitalization after the % is required)

Tell repbot ask %Player
Tell Repbot ask %Inviter

i use the blue-i (for information) on the first for players on the player list i may like to invite and the open-hand (warning caution) for players inviting me

further when i play with someone and would again or just know they've got a good rep and not many saved games, i'll add them to my javafibs friends list .. then when those players invite me or i'm looking for a game, i can proceed without concern to accept or invite

as a rule of thumb, when a player has more than 10 saved games, i'm suspicious; more than 20, leery; more than 30, never unless i know them; more than 40, forget about it .. some new players unaware of droppers or with a bad connection problem can get themselves in a huge hole with saved games .. i once had over 60 saved games when i first started playing at FIBS .. after a period of time (six months?), Patti, the FIBS admin, will remove unfinished saved games .. but to take care of them yourself use RepBot Alerts On .. RepBot will then send you a tell anytime a person with whom you have a saved game is logged in

a saved game or two is nothing to get too excited about, but look for patterns and avoid players with whom you've had problems or with whom others have had sufficient problems that they're being labelled as droppers in shouts .. often old Abe is correct, but then Abe never played on FIBS

I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
-- Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 - 1865)
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me