News:

we welcome new Sponsors..keep the board going.....advertise your thing for a modest donation contact the webmaster@fibsboard.com

Main Menu

Team League Playoff Poll

Started by sixty_something, January 18, 2008, 04:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty_something

the godmin has spoken .. word is that we will have playoffs this season .. i was asked to write up the rules section defining the format .. i got carried away, as usual, and wrote it up as double elimination .. not recalling whether that decision had already been made, i simulated being a godmin and made it

i wrote it for a 4 team double elimination and just submitted it, but thought i'd offer up this poll to see what others might think .. as for me, i think i prefer a 6 team double elimination or maybe even a 6 team round robin .. by round robin i mean the same format and Team/Match Point scoring as the regular season

only one vote per user and you must vote to see the results .. but you may change your vote after you've voted .. if only we'd had that option after the last two US presidential elections

the poll will remain open for 10 days
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

dorbel

A great play-off format often used at the end of 10-pin tournaments works like this. Fifth plays fourth, winner of that match plays third, winner plays second, winner plays first. The fairness of this can be seen from the fact that it gives an advantage to the teams that have achieved the best finish in the regular league play. The team that qualifies first has a 50% chance of being champions, whereas the team that finishes fifth has to win four staight matches, or about a 6% chance. Of course this format works equally well with four teams. Six is probably too long winded, three too short.

Tomawaky

Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

sixty_something

i rather like dorbel's idea too .. at present the TL godmin, zyxtcba, is leaning toward a 6 team single elimination playoff with teams finishing 1 and 2 receiving a bye in round 1

i like zyxtcba's idea too, in fact i changed my vote from a 6 team round robin to a 6 team single elimination after reconsidering the nature of a bracket tournament as a season championship series

i like dorbel's idea because, as he explains, it gives the season winner an immediate spot in the finals .. all others have to earn it .. i may just change my vote again

did you vote, Tomawaky?

remember, vote early vote often

A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

Tomawaky

Quote from: sixty_something on January 19, 2008, 09:57:14 AM

did you vote, Tomawaky?

yes : 6 team single elimination.
That means team 1 and 2 get a by in first round
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

blitzxz

Dorpel's system with four teams sounds nice.  :thumbsup:

stog

i too like dorbel's system

thx for a well  run tourney

stog

hi sedat  congrats on a wonderful campaign  we are provisionally winners but .............  Completion Bonus: There will be a completion bonus of 3 Match Points and 2 Team Points for any team with 100% participation, i.e. no unplayed matches.(10 days remaining)  so we could still lose  so good luck i know you are very busy but if you can...  there r 10 days remaining
You tell Schigolch: just sent this to sedat
You tell Schigolch: well done everyone!!!
Schigolch says: very good stog! hi
Schigolch says: however i think the completion bonus should be redesigned
Schigolch says: i think a good completion bonus has to address the following problem:
Schigolch says: at halftime say
Schigolch says: a team who hasn't performed very well has no incentive to play along
Schigolch says: while those who are in the upper part of the standings table indeed do want to play
Schigolch says: but they may have to find their partner in the lower regions
You tell Schigolch: i agree - i think it should be a point for playing each game win or lose
Schigolch says: so a good incentive mechanism has to address this prob