News:

new backgammon problem in backgammon articles  (under the shoutbox on the right of the Front page) http://www.fibsboard.com/gnubg-gammonline-html-output-test-p78
thx zorba

Main Menu

JavaFIBS Development - Bugs or minor enhancements?

Started by Tom, January 19, 2008, 01:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

What reproducible bugs are there that need to be fixed?

It would really help if you include steps to reproduce it.

wintom

JavaFibs usually doesn't show all players that are online. This is of course a Fibs and not a JavaFibs bug, but it would be nice if JavaFibs could automatically do this "set sortwho name/who/set sortwho rating/who/set sortwho rrating/who"- stuff on startup.

Thomas (wintom)
The Backgammon Blog: Graswurzel Backgammon

cthulhu

Quote from: wintom on January 19, 2008, 03:03:24 PM
JavaFibs usually doesn't show all players that are online. This is of course a Fibs and not a JavaFibs bug, but it would be nice if JavaFibs could automatically do this "set sortwho name/who/set sortwho rating/who/set sortwho rrating/who"- stuff on startup.

Thomas (wintom)

Probably should be made as a feature to have a command list that the user can modify. The commands on the list are then sent to the server at user login.

burper

...or implemented as a FLiPS plugin and thus fixed for all clients, not just JF

inim

Known bugs in no particular order

• "spanner in the works" server bug should be worked around better
  • Sometimes checkers vanish in JDK 5+ and appear only after forced redraw event (e.g. minimize/maximize window)
  • Sound is broken in JDK 5+
  • Parser can freeze or throw Exceptions sometimes, needs investigations. Sometimes this results in the complete Javafibs to hang ("fibsquake")
  • Look and feel options must not be hardcoded
  • Sorting opponent names in statistics dialog should be case insensitive
  • File operations, especially read/write of prefs, are not robust. Sometimes preferences can be mangled, requiring manual deletion.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

Chris

Minor Enhancement: Get rid of the "Match Converter"-Button!
Just save every match in two formats, so that I don't have to convert all my matches before analysing them with GnuBG.

jools

Saving matches after they have been resumed and completed doesn't seem to work.  Sometimes they just seem to be corrupted.  Other times I get the previous match.

I would also like to have a complete list of users when I log on.

And somehow, my installation has decided that I want to do the same two whois commands every time I log in.  It doesn't cause a problem but it's weird.  They are both people I've played and, quite possibly, done a whois on.

But thanks very much.  These are small things and I am having a lot of fun with JavaFIBS.

stog

javafibs on mac runs well but can crash when ive got thousands of apps runnin (on my non pristine pirate laden mac - power pc mini! - once belonged to CERN tho;))

freezes about 2x week - usualy after having been left and connectioon gone

good work everyone

attached apple error reports

dickbalaska

Quote from: wintom on January 19, 2008, 03:03:24 PM

Thomas (wintom)
I just type "who" at the command prompt to get the missing players.  So much faster and less dizzying than that sortwho foo.

inim

Quote from: dickbalaska on February 01, 2009, 04:07:16 AM
I just type "who" at the command prompt to get the missing players.  So much faster and less dizzying than that sortwho foo.

Yes, as long as only few fibsters are logged in. "who" starts to truncate results over some threshold, I'd say 200 is a safe value to assume truncation happening. Without setting sort-order, clients have the "I can not see player X" syndrome.
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

socksey

QuoteI just type "who" at the command prompt to get the missing players.  So much faster and less dizzying than that sortwho foo.

I made programmable buttons for those functions.  Quick and easy, tap tap, tap tap.   ;)  No typing.

socksey

If I'm going to do, what I need to do, then I must become, someone new, and that someone, I may find, was layers deep within me, all the time. - unknown

dropper

A minor feature I'd like to see is being able to colour the text in shouts by player. For example, I can currently change inim's name to orange. Ideally I'd like everything he says to now appear in orange. It'd make reading the shouts easier.

Also, I can put people who words I don't value into a very pale colour so that I can hardly read them but can decipher if need be.
The fibster formerly known as alef.

Tom

Quote from: dropper on April 07, 2009, 10:06:19 AM
A minor feature I'd like to see is being able to colour the text in shouts by player. For example, I can currently change inim's name to orange. Ideally I'd like everything he says to now appear in orange. It'd make reading the shouts easier.

Also, I can put people who words I don't value into a very pale colour so that I can hardly read them but can decipher if need be.

That is a very good idea!

tom

adrian

Quote from: dropper on April 07, 2009, 10:06:19 AM
For example, I can currently change inim's name to orange. Ideally I'd like everything he says to now appear in orange. It'd make reading the shouts easier.

I use green for inim.
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

Kari_Grandi

dropper

Some very minor requests and a few ideas for consideration please:

1) Right-click copy. Currently we can copy text or player names by using ctrl-c or command-c (mac) but it'd help a bit to have this as a mouse option.

2) Might be fun to show basic player stats in the Players window? So when we go to choose an opponent we can immediately see who we've played before and our percentage of wins.

3) Save/export vector board settings. I've made some quite specific colour schemes but can't easily share these or change between them.

4) Change the colour of any player, not just friends.

5) Volume control. Would be nice to keep sounds on but be able to adjust them independently against other applications (usually have music or a video playing in the background!).

6) Option to hide ready players who have been idle for more than a given amount of time.

7) Live links for any URLs in shouts or chat.

dropper

Another small feature request: small gaps between clusters to help count pieces borne off.

When calculating cube decisions in the bear off it can sometimes be a bit tricky to quickly count the pieces either on the board (if they're in high stacks) or on the side. A simple way to help is to have a small gap for every five pieces that have been borne off. This is done in the board used in OLM at Kit Woolsey's site, here's an example:
http://www.gammonu.com/demo/match/WCH112M.HTM

Zorba

The fascist's feelings of insecurity run so deep that he desperately needs a classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the fascist's embracement of concepts like mental illness and IQ tests.  - R.J.V.

Luck is my main skill

diane

Quote from: Zorba on April 16, 2009, 07:28:02 AM
show "away" status in the players list!

Since a lot of those players who insist on sitting on the ready list also dont set 'away', number 6 in Alefs post is the better option.

Quote6) Option to hide ready players who have been idle for more than a given amount of time.
Never give up on the things that make you smile

paulie

Quote from: inim on February 01, 2008, 07:06:01 AM
Known bugs in no particular order

• Sometimes checkers vanish in JDK 5+ and appear only after forced redraw event (e.g. minimize/maximize window)

I don't know if anyone still reads this forum since my understanding is that nobody is working on JavaFibs, but I still occasionally have a checker disappear when I attempt to move it.  When that happens I've been undo'ing the move and redoing it.  People are complaining that I play slowly, but sometimes it is due to having to make the move, undo it, and make it again.  Are you aware that this still happens?  I am using Windows 7 with JRE 1.6.0_43.
I try to avoid experience; most experience is bad.   -Wilde

diane

There are more recent versions of Java..I am sure we are up to 1.7..something. The good news is that with those versions, you dont have the disappearing checker problem - the bad is that the text wrap function is up the wall again...

paulie

Quote from: diane on January 20, 2014, 01:39:42 AM
There are more recent versions of Java..I am sure we are up to 1.7..something. The good news is that with those versions, you dont have the disappearing checker problem - the bad is that the text wrap function is up the wall again...

Well I was keeping this current version because more recent versions break an old piece of software that I used to use a lot.  I don't use it much any more, so I guess I'll upgrade to the latest version of JRE and see if that helps.

paulie

Quote from: diane on January 20, 2014, 01:39:42 AM

I upgraded to the latest JRE and the checker problem still exists.

diane

That is odd - how about the text wrapping? I definitely haven't seen the disappearing checker in the last few versions..

paulie

Quote from: diane on January 26, 2014, 09:49:08 PM
That is odd - how about the text wrapping? I definitely haven't seen the disappearing checker in the last few versions..

I haven't noticed anything wrong with text wrapping.  Where is the text wrapping problem showing up?  Anyway, I've given up and gone to Fibzilla.

Polaris

Hi all  :)

I still have the disappearing checker from time to time, but another problem happened to me a couple of time. Sometimes i can't start JAVA FIBS. I have the image of the green lizard appearing with the text "JAVA FIBS 2001. Loading" but that stays at that point.

I have to kill the task in the task manager (javaw.exe*32) to try and restart it. I updated JAVA, but it does not help.

When this happen, i have to go to the folder JAVAFIBS2001/user. It contains one file (last user) and one folder "Polaris" with the list of friends, matches etc .. 

I have to delete the file "last user", and then I can start JAVA FIBS, but my list of friends is gone and I have to add them again manually  :wacko:

I have no idea why this problem happen. last time I desinstalled and reinstalled the software but it did not help  :cry:

Any help (or compassion) is welcome  :blush:

Thanks