News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2011 cheers! ..thx godwinson, webrunner, stog, spielberg*, hartkegirl, KissMyAss*, ettu*,  jackdaddy*, diane, caleb, sixty_something*, Zorba*, aviator, Tom*, anonymous*, roygbiv*, r_monk *

Main Menu

JavaFIBS Development - New Features needed

Started by Tom, January 19, 2008, 01:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Here is a list of possible new features or enhancements:
(I will try to keep this up to date based upon our discussions)

Get complete players list from server (sortwho etc)

repbot integration - by buttons or automatic (like DelFIBS)

permagag - when client has player gaged they get no indication - send one permagag message per session if they talk to you

gag messages - if you are gaged by someone in fibs you only see the fibs messages in the Status Line or System tab - maybe make Status Line on by default

Handle Tell 'yourself' message - right now only shows up in system tab

Change the COlor of many selected Friends at once

Add a list of friends at once

Have an Add Friends Tab button to add League Players Tab

Use Internet Based file storage for preferences & Friends (gmail/yahoo/fibs?)

wintom

What about better RepBot integration? Automated RepBot messages on invite and ask RepBot Button. Maybe one could even add reputation and saved games to the players list (instead of the useless email column perhaps).

Thomas
The Backgammon Blog: Graswurzel Backgammon

burper

protocol side control

What I mean is, support a way for systems like FibsCompanion and FLiPS to control the GUI, e.g. add/delete programmable buttons.
Add a way to input via the protocol as well, sort of like hotkeys. That way, a FLiPs plugin for speech recognition could be constructed (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/speech2text/) that could insert commands such as "/Input/Menu/Command/Roll" etc...

Ignoring FLiPS for the moment, you could try integration with things like D-Bus, knotify, wireshark etc... for those people that are into tighter desktop integration.

keychain integration ala CocoaFibs?

auto-greedy (detect when race position is reached)

"Rooms" (See http://stepfibs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/stepfibs/FLiPS/plugins/rooms.txt?revision=129&view=markup)

See if there is anything useful in inim's vectorboard code: http://stepfibs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/stepfibs/inimvectorboard/

Search around fibsbored for a thread on the local proxy. A whole bunch of ideas there, all of which could apply to a client if you don't buy into the FLiPS thing.

don

I think Java FIBS (and all clients) should conform to CLIP http://www.fibs.com/fibs_interface.html.  In particular, they should either directly use the FIBS' gag command or emulate it by delivering an appropriate message.  As it works now, other users have no way of knowing if a message actually got through to a Java FIBS user.

QuoteTell

When you send the command:

tell name message

If the recipient meets all of the following criteria:

1. Is online.
   2. Is not yourself.
   3. Has not gagged you.
   4. You have not gagged them.

then, you get back a CLIP You Say line:

16 name message

If the person you are trying to send a message to is not currently logged in or doesn't exist, instead you get the message:

** There is no one called name

If the person you are trying to send a message to has gagged you, you get back the message:

** name won't listen to you.

If you try to send a message to someone you have gagged yourself, you get the message:

** You can't talk if you won't listen.

If you try the tell command with yourself as the recipient you get back:

You say to yourself: message

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

burper

don:

What is the difference between not being sure if the text you sent the other client actually showed up, and not being sure the user didn't quickly glance at that part of the gui and ignore the message because they saw who it was from?

I'm not saying there is zero difference, I'd just be interested to hear you articulate what the difference is, in precise terms.

Consider also that they may have closed/minimized/scrolled/moved-off-screen/tabbed/whatever that part of the gui such that the message isn't actually visible onscreen? Would you then demand that all client processing should stop until the user clicks on the "return receipt" button of some popup that appears on each chat message? How would you be certain the typeface was large enough for them to read? Would you want to remotely control the size, color, position etc... of your messages? Maybe javafibs should implement some way of delivering remote electrical shocks from other fibs users? Would that do it?

socksey

:s49:  That makes a lot of sense, burper.   :wacko:

socksey

What would you attempt if you knew you would not fail? - unknown

Tom

Actually I think Don is right...

The difference I can see is that right now you have no idea that it could be impossible for the player to see the message.
If they ignore it is a totally different problem, but one which a gui can't help...

Now... it may be very hard to implement since those messages are processed deep inside the parser...

Tom

Tom

Quote from: burper on January 20, 2008, 12:51:59 AM
protocol side control

What I mean is, support a way for systems like FibsCompanion and FLiPS to control the GUI, e.g. add/delete programmable buttons.
Add a way to input via the protocol as well, sort of like hotkeys. That way, a FLiPs plugin for speech recognition could be constructed (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/speech2text/) that could insert commands such as "/Input/Menu/Command/Roll" etc...

Ignoring FLiPS for the moment, you could try integration with things like D-Bus, knotify, wireshark etc... for those people that are into tighter desktop integration.

keychain integration ala CocoaFibs?

auto-greedy (detect when race position is reached)

"Rooms" (See http://stepfibs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/stepfibs/FLiPS/plugins/rooms.txt?revision=129&view=markup)

See if there is anything useful in inim's vectorboard code: http://stepfibs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/stepfibs/inimvectorboard/

Search around fibsbored for a thread on the local proxy. A whole bunch of ideas there, all of which could apply to a client if you don't buy into the FLiPS thing.

It sounds like most of these things would be independent of the fibs client in use...
Of course that is not to say that if some of these were implemented that JF (or other clients) would not
need to be slightly modified to handle the new situations it could create...
if a proxy set auto-greedy... speech to text rolled, cubed etc

tom

socksey

QuoteThat makes a lot of sense, burper.

I did not mean to imply that don's post was not viable.  I did mean my comment to be a sarcastic remark aimed at burper, who enjoys the same.   :yes:

socksey

Stars got tangled in her hair whenever she played in the sky. - Laini

sixty_something

Quote from: sockseyI did mean my comment to be a sarcastic remark ...

sarcasim? in fibsland?
why, i've enver heard of such a thing .. heaven forbid
  :stupid:

actually this directly addresses a concern klein_meid raised today regarding contacting nacci opponents .. good thinking (i think) 'cause i'm too tired at the moment to say anything more intelligible
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

Tom

Quote from: don on January 20, 2008, 02:24:42 AM
I think Java FIBS (and all clients) should conform to CLIP http://www.fibs.com/fibs_interface.html.  In particular, they should either directly use the FIBS' gag command or emulate it by delivering an appropriate message.  As it works now, other users have no way of knowing if a message actually got through to a Java FIBS user.

--
don

Don

If you select the option Preferences->Status Bar the status bar (bottom of the entire window) then those messages are displayed.

I do see the problem of a client not using the fibs gag command, the question remains should the client send a message back
saying I have you gaged?

That could lead to some odd situations that fibs already handles (playing a gaged player)

I am not sure what new issues will come up if the client were to use the gag command.

tom

jonasfrid

*I would like the possibility to change colour on many friend at once to the same colour.
I would use that at start of each FiBSLeague session to mark my opponents in the colour I use for people I need to meet (which I change after I have met each of them).

*Also nice would be to be able to add a bunch of user as at once.

Tom

Quote from: jonasfrid on January 22, 2008, 08:16:29 PM
*I would like the possibility to change colour on many friend at once to the same colour.
I would use that at start of each FiBSLeague session to mark my opponents in the colour I use for people I need to meet (which I change after I have met each of them).

*Also nice would be to be able to add a bunch of user as at once.

The first one might be easier if the 'Recent Colors' list was remembered so you could pick a color and re-use it more easily

The second one might not be too hard... I'll look at the parsing of that input...

socksey

Quote*I would like the possibility to change colour on many friend at once to the same colour.

This option already exists in Javafibs.  I use blue for friends, red for enemies/droppers, lime green for special friends, a lighter shade of red for league matches, then change it back to whatever when the match is played, bright pink for td's, etc.  This is a great feature and very helpful when sorting the hundreds of Fibs players.   :thumbsup2:

Quote*why, i've enver heard of such a thing .. heaven forbid 
  If you had used "spell Check" feature, you probably wouldn't have left that transposed typo in your post.  ;)

Quote*Also nice would be to be able to add a bunch of user as at once.
  This feature also exists in Jafavibs.  When in your friends list mode, simply click on the friends icon at the top of the friends list area, and add a name.

socksey

Outside every thin woman is a fat woman trying to get in. - unknown

Tom

Quote from: socksey on January 23, 2008, 11:38:50 AM
This option already exists in Javafibs.  I use blue for friends, red for enemies/droppers, lime green for special friends, a lighter shade of red for league matches, then change it back to whatever when the match is played, bright pink for td's, etc.  This is a great feature and very helpful when sorting the hundreds of Fibs players.   :thumbsup2:
  If you had used "spell Check" feature, you probably wouldn't have left that transposed typo in your post.  ;)
  This feature also exists in Jafavibs.  When in your friends list mode, simply click on the friends icon at the top of the friends list area, and add a name.

socksey

Outside every thin woman is a fat woman trying to get in. - unknown

Not really...

You have to guess which box you clicked.... If the recent colors was remembered it would be easier...

bunch of friends at once... like click add then type 4-5 names and OK

Spelling is not half as important as reading! :laugh:

socksey

QuoteNot really...

You have to guess which box you clicked.... If the recent colors was remembered it would be easier...

bunch of friends at once... like click add then type 4-5 names and OK

Spelling is not half as important as reading!

Hmmmmmmm..........I really don't understand the problem.  Do you have a different version than I?  Right about the spelling.  It's just a "thing" I have.  Baggage from some long ago English teacher, I suspect!   :laugh:

socksey

The way to know life is to love many things. - Vincent Van Gogh

Tom

When you click Colour Friend...

The window you get has all the swatches and you can pick one.
Then when you select the Next friend to set the color of, you have to remember the one you clicked.
It would be a lot easier if the first one you clicked was remembered in the Recent swatches, but
when you re-open the Color Selector it forgets what you picked last...

Now this may not be a problem for you, but us men can only see primary and secondary colors :)

Did I explain it well enough?

tom

socksey

QuoteDid I explain it well enough?

No.  I still do not see the problem, unless you are using many shades of one color that I cannot distinguish either.   :unsure:

socksey

Children need two things: roots and wings. - Chinese proverb

cthulhu

What I really think the guy wanted in the first place is a way to mark several friends in the list, then click the colour box and select a colour which will be applied for all marked persons in the list.

Tomawaky

Exactly. It would be fine.
Color is very hepfull to mark all player you have to play with  ;)
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."