VIP Donor members get fewer ads;  Donate - don't be late
cheers

Main Menu

JavaFIBS Development - New Features needed

Started by Tom, January 19, 2008, 01:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Here is a list of possible new features or enhancements:
(I will try to keep this up to date based upon our discussions)

Get complete players list from server (sortwho etc)

repbot integration - by buttons or automatic (like DelFIBS)

permagag - when client has player gaged they get no indication - send one permagag message per session if they talk to you

gag messages - if you are gaged by someone in fibs you only see the fibs messages in the Status Line or System tab - maybe make Status Line on by default

Handle Tell 'yourself' message - right now only shows up in system tab

Change the COlor of many selected Friends at once

Add a list of friends at once

Have an Add Friends Tab button to add League Players Tab

Use Internet Based file storage for preferences & Friends (gmail/yahoo/fibs?)

wintom

What about better RepBot integration? Automated RepBot messages on invite and ask RepBot Button. Maybe one could even add reputation and saved games to the players list (instead of the useless email column perhaps).

Thomas
The Backgammon Blog: Graswurzel Backgammon

burper

protocol side control

What I mean is, support a way for systems like FibsCompanion and FLiPS to control the GUI, e.g. add/delete programmable buttons.
Add a way to input via the protocol as well, sort of like hotkeys. That way, a FLiPs plugin for speech recognition could be constructed (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/speech2text/) that could insert commands such as "/Input/Menu/Command/Roll" etc...

Ignoring FLiPS for the moment, you could try integration with things like D-Bus, knotify, wireshark etc... for those people that are into tighter desktop integration.

keychain integration ala CocoaFibs?

auto-greedy (detect when race position is reached)

"Rooms" (See http://stepfibs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/stepfibs/FLiPS/plugins/rooms.txt?revision=129&view=markup)

See if there is anything useful in inim's vectorboard code: http://stepfibs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/stepfibs/inimvectorboard/

Search around fibsbored for a thread on the local proxy. A whole bunch of ideas there, all of which could apply to a client if you don't buy into the FLiPS thing.

don

I think Java FIBS (and all clients) should conform to CLIP http://www.fibs.com/fibs_interface.html.  In particular, they should either directly use the FIBS' gag command or emulate it by delivering an appropriate message.  As it works now, other users have no way of knowing if a message actually got through to a Java FIBS user.

QuoteTell

When you send the command:

tell name message

If the recipient meets all of the following criteria:

1. Is online.
   2. Is not yourself.
   3. Has not gagged you.
   4. You have not gagged them.

then, you get back a CLIP You Say line:

16 name message

If the person you are trying to send a message to is not currently logged in or doesn't exist, instead you get the message:

** There is no one called name

If the person you are trying to send a message to has gagged you, you get back the message:

** name won't listen to you.

If you try to send a message to someone you have gagged yourself, you get the message:

** You can't talk if you won't listen.

If you try the tell command with yourself as the recipient you get back:

You say to yourself: message

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

burper

don:

What is the difference between not being sure if the text you sent the other client actually showed up, and not being sure the user didn't quickly glance at that part of the gui and ignore the message because they saw who it was from?

I'm not saying there is zero difference, I'd just be interested to hear you articulate what the difference is, in precise terms.

Consider also that they may have closed/minimized/scrolled/moved-off-screen/tabbed/whatever that part of the gui such that the message isn't actually visible onscreen? Would you then demand that all client processing should stop until the user clicks on the "return receipt" button of some popup that appears on each chat message? How would you be certain the typeface was large enough for them to read? Would you want to remotely control the size, color, position etc... of your messages? Maybe javafibs should implement some way of delivering remote electrical shocks from other fibs users? Would that do it?

socksey

:s49:  That makes a lot of sense, burper.   :wacko:

socksey

What would you attempt if you knew you would not fail? - unknown

Tom

Actually I think Don is right...

The difference I can see is that right now you have no idea that it could be impossible for the player to see the message.
If they ignore it is a totally different problem, but one which a gui can't help...

Now... it may be very hard to implement since those messages are processed deep inside the parser...

Tom

Tom

Quote from: burper on January 20, 2008, 12:51:59 AM
protocol side control

What I mean is, support a way for systems like FibsCompanion and FLiPS to control the GUI, e.g. add/delete programmable buttons.
Add a way to input via the protocol as well, sort of like hotkeys. That way, a FLiPs plugin for speech recognition could be constructed (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/speech2text/) that could insert commands such as "/Input/Menu/Command/Roll" etc...

Ignoring FLiPS for the moment, you could try integration with things like D-Bus, knotify, wireshark etc... for those people that are into tighter desktop integration.

auto-greedy (detect when race position is reached)

"Rooms" (See http://stepfibs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/stepfibs/FLiPS/plugins/rooms.txt?revision=129&view=markup)

See if there is anything useful in inim's vectorboard code: http://stepfibs.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/stepfibs/inimvectorboard/

Search around fibsbored for a thread on the local proxy. A whole bunch of ideas there, all of which could apply to a client if you don't buy into the FLiPS thing.

It sounds like most of these things would be independent of the fibs client in use...
Of course that is not to say that if some of these were implemented that JF (or other clients) would not
need to be slightly modified to handle the new situations it could create...
if a proxy set auto-greedy... speech to text rolled, cubed etc

tom

socksey

QuoteThat makes a lot of sense, burper.

I did not mean to imply that don's post was not viable.  I did mean my comment to be a sarcastic remark aimed at burper, who enjoys the same.   :yes:

socksey

Stars got tangled in her hair whenever she played in the sky. - Laini

sixty_something

Quote from: sockseyI did mean my comment to be a sarcastic remark ...

sarcasim? in fibsland?
why, i've enver heard of such a thing .. heaven forbid
  :stupid:

actually this directly addresses a concern klein_meid raised today regarding contacting nacci opponents .. good thinking (i think) 'cause i'm too tired at the moment to say anything more intelligible
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

Tom

Quote from: don on January 20, 2008, 02:24:42 AM
I think Java FIBS (and all clients) should conform to CLIP http://www.fibs.com/fibs_interface.html.  In particular, they should either directly use the FIBS' gag command or emulate it by delivering an appropriate message.  As it works now, other users have no way of knowing if a message actually got through to a Java FIBS user.

--
don

Don

If you select the option Preferences->Status Bar the status bar (bottom of the entire window) then those messages are displayed.

I do see the problem of a client not using the fibs gag command, the question remains should the client send a message back
saying I have you gaged?

That could lead to some odd situations that fibs already handles (playing a gaged player)

I am not sure what new issues will come up if the client were to use the gag command.

tom

jonasfrid

*I would like the possibility to change colour on many friend at once to the same colour.
I would use that at start of each FiBSLeague session to mark my opponents in the colour I use for people I need to meet (which I change after I have met each of them).

*Also nice would be to be able to add a bunch of user as at once.

Tom

Quote from: jonasfrid on January 22, 2008, 08:16:29 PM
*I would like the possibility to change colour on many friend at once to the same colour.
I would use that at start of each FiBSLeague session to mark my opponents in the colour I use for people I need to meet (which I change after I have met each of them).

*Also nice would be to be able to add a bunch of user as at once.

The first one might be easier if the 'Recent Colors' list was remembered so you could pick a color and re-use it more easily

The second one might not be too hard... I'll look at the parsing of that input...

socksey

Quote*I would like the possibility to change colour on many friend at once to the same colour.

This option already exists in Javafibs.  I use blue for friends, red for enemies/droppers, lime green for special friends, a lighter shade of red for league matches, then change it back to whatever when the match is played, bright pink for td's, etc.  This is a great feature and very helpful when sorting the hundreds of Fibs players.   :thumbsup2:

Quote*why, i've enver heard of such a thing .. heaven forbid 
  If you had used "spell Check" feature, you probably wouldn't have left that transposed typo in your post.  ;)

Quote*Also nice would be to be able to add a bunch of user as at once.
  This feature also exists in Jafavibs.  When in your friends list mode, simply click on the friends icon at the top of the friends list area, and add a name.

socksey

Outside every thin woman is a fat woman trying to get in. - unknown

Tom

Quote from: socksey on January 23, 2008, 11:38:50 AM
This option already exists in Javafibs.  I use blue for friends, red for enemies/droppers, lime green for special friends, a lighter shade of red for league matches, then change it back to whatever when the match is played, bright pink for td's, etc.  This is a great feature and very helpful when sorting the hundreds of Fibs players.   :thumbsup2:
  If you had used "spell Check" feature, you probably wouldn't have left that transposed typo in your post.  ;)
  This feature also exists in Jafavibs.  When in your friends list mode, simply click on the friends icon at the top of the friends list area, and add a name.

socksey

Outside every thin woman is a fat woman trying to get in. - unknown

Not really...

You have to guess which box you clicked.... If the recent colors was remembered it would be easier...

bunch of friends at once... like click add then type 4-5 names and OK

Spelling is not half as important as reading! :laugh:

socksey

QuoteNot really...

You have to guess which box you clicked.... If the recent colors was remembered it would be easier...

bunch of friends at once... like click add then type 4-5 names and OK

Spelling is not half as important as reading!

Hmmmmmmm..........I really don't understand the problem.  Do you have a different version than I?  Right about the spelling.  It's just a "thing" I have.  Baggage from some long ago English teacher, I suspect!   :laugh:

socksey

The way to know life is to love many things. - Vincent Van Gogh

Tom

When you click Colour Friend...

The window you get has all the swatches and you can pick one.
Then when you select the Next friend to set the color of, you have to remember the one you clicked.
It would be a lot easier if the first one you clicked was remembered in the Recent swatches, but
when you re-open the Color Selector it forgets what you picked last...

Now this may not be a problem for you, but us men can only see primary and secondary colors :)

Did I explain it well enough?

tom

socksey

QuoteDid I explain it well enough?

No.  I still do not see the problem, unless you are using many shades of one color that I cannot distinguish either.   :unsure:

socksey

Children need two things: roots and wings. - Chinese proverb

cthulhu

What I really think the guy wanted in the first place is a way to mark several friends in the list, then click the colour box and select a colour which will be applied for all marked persons in the list.

Tomawaky

Exactly. It would be fine.
Color is very hepfull to mark all player you have to play with  ;)
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

Tom

Quote from: cthulhu on January 23, 2008, 07:03:56 PM
What I really think the guy wanted in the first place is a way to mark several friends in the list, then click the colour box and select a colour which will be applied for all marked persons in the list.

Yes you are right! socks I guess I need to read too! :)

cthulhu

The way some people seem to be using the list, maybe one should make another list with "players met" also to separate them from your friends which you can colour?

Tom

That is an interesting idea.. or maybe a few empty friends lists and you can define the title?

One tab named FLG the another Team League, etc

cthulhu

Yes good idea, or why not let the user create lists as many as (s)he wants. Like the programmable buttons.

Peyo

...and while you're at it: use the lists to detect when players log in. In other words automatize the "waitfor" for each player in the lists, and in addition use the list colors to highlight the "finally logs in" messages in the server log panel.

I guess you don't want that for all your lists, so turning on/off the "auto-waitfor" could be an option on each list.

Peyo

Sortable match converter window:
- by name
- by date

Peyo

And I hate to say this, but those icons are way too small (I'm showing my age here), plus they look like... well let's just say they look like icons from Microsoft Apps, and old versions at that  :puke:

If any of you know a graphic designer, this is a nice and simple way to "modernize" an app. I will try to convince one I know to propose something.

In addition, I like the typical Mac Apps toolbar buttons/text/both option. But hey I'm a machead...

socksey

All friends on the list are automatically colored blue first.  I still like my idea best to sort out the special friends, tournament match players (could be different color for each league or tourney), td's, cyber friends, etc.   ;)  I don't like the idea of having a bunch of lists, unless they were on a wordpad/notepad file on my desktop, maybe.  

After begging for years for a friends data feature, I have made my own alphabetized wordpad file listing most of my friends and acquaintances on Fibs along with any notes I want to remember, multiple nicks info, and isps in some cases.

We can all use our imaginations and adapt.   :laugh:

socksey

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tomawaky

Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

Tom

Quote from: socksey on January 23, 2008, 09:10:07 PM
After begging for years for a friends data feature,

What is that?

Network stored lists?

socksey

BBGT paid version had it.  I lost that when my old computer went down.  It stored all the info you wanted on any player.  It was a great feature.   ;)

socksey

Sparkle laugh, delight! Encourage silliness. Know joy. - unknown

inim

Feature requests in no particular order.

• Command line panel should support for  auto-completion of player names in tell and message.
  • Command line panel should support auto-completion for server commands, a rather small set

• Repbot integration

• Tourneybot integration

• Jellyfish export should use a better file selector
  • Jellyfish export should not block (currently does with many recorded games as it reads all before displaying dialog)

• Pulldown menu structure should use standard layout (File, Edit, ..., Help) where applicable. E.g. jellyfish export should simply be moved to "Save" and "Save As" etc.

• Preferences should use an tabbed dialog, not pulldown menues.

• Messages should be internationalized (I18N)

• Exceptions should be reported to the user, not silently ignored when running under javaw. Probably this is achived easiest using some real logger, such as log4j

• Resumed matches should be handled more gracefully

• Messages and shout/kibitz/tell should be optionally be prefixed with a timestamp

• Country codes should not be hardcoded but derived from Runtime Locale

• Audio samples should be of better quality. Currently they are 8Khz WAV, we could easily support CD quality and/or MP3 (to save space) and still improve sound quality.

• Javafibs should be packaged using an install shield.

• Permagag should use actual server side gag mode rather than silent filtering

• Hall of Shame information should be used to autogenerate permagag suggestions for well known droppers

• Color of checkers should be flippable with the same ease as the board can be mirrored. A friend of mine strongly prefers to play dark pieces over white pieces, and setting this via the color dialog is a bit cumbersome.

• Messages should be optionally spellchecked

• CLIP events should be exposed to the user for customization, e.g. via some sort of public API and Java Scripting. This would allow for oodles of nice user hacks, such as filtering shout (I wanna highlight all occurences of my name in shouts) or data (i wanna ring a bell when someone from host host.mybuddy.com logs in).

• Support menu hotkeys (e.g. ctrl-t for toggle ready)

• Other clients (CocoaFibs and 3DFibs) should be investigated for better GUI paradigms, especially for what now is the Command line panel.

• Sound volume should be adjustable, currently JavaFibs always plays as loud as it possibly can. This doesn't integrate well with today's multimedia environments (listen to music while playing e.g.).

• The server's built in help texts should be read and presented in a convenient way (cheap way to offer better integrated help)

• Fibs has two IP adresses, of which sometimes one is reachable and the other is not. Exploiting this in the connection code could improve reachability of fibs.

• JDK 5 or even JDK 6 features should be exploited, currently only JDK 1.3 is. The latter is long in the "end of life" state. However, keeping a JDK 1.3 version would allow to support JavaFibs on small devices, which have limited JREs.

• Better textures for the Vectorboard should be included (maybe stealing from the excellent Gnubg textures)

• DNS name resolution should be asynchronous

• An option to log shout and kibitz to external log files should be offered

• Clicking on a player in the player tab should open an integrated dialog which offers all actions w/r to that player (status, gag, message, even image import from fibsboard). In short: present all options at a glance.

• more robust player list code, working around the well known rawho bug in the server

• Non-binary preferences format (XML) for improved robustness and extensibility (using e.g. JAXB for serialization)

• Support more server commands in an "Action" pulldown menu, e.g. away and waitfor come to my mind

• Add client version to login client version ("JavaFibs2001 1.0.10" vs. "JavaFibs")

• Rename from "JavaFibs2001" to just "JavaFibs", as 2001 sounds so retro today

This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

webrunner

Integrate the sound options similar to 3DFibs. That way more poeple can hear them.
;)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

cthulhu

adrian

Please, please , please Peter, we want them all ! :yes:
Helping people is tricky. Give help to anyone and he will remember it only when he is in need again.

inim

Quote from: cthulhu on February 01, 2008, 04:07:41 PM
That's quite a list you got there. B)

Don't panic, it's just a braindump without any considerations of timeframe, feasibility or priority.  ;)
This space is available for rent by advertisers. Call 0900-INIMITE today, and see your sales skyrocketing in no time! New customers receive free Vl@9rå and a penis enlargement set as a bonus! We support banners, flash banners, and scrollers. Discrete handling by our HQ on the Dutch Antilles.

marekful

I have thoughts around this topic from long ago, unfortunately never started to document them..

I can think of two things right now:

1) A minor bug I found is that when the board is detached and you click look or watch on some player then the player list (still in the tabbed pane) is deactivated (disappears) but the board window doesn't get the focus.

2) I think implementing the ongoing games and watchers in the following way would be particularly useful:
There's a list of 'tables' with some nice and considerable GUI integration. These could be just small iconic elements displaying the two players' (and maybe the watchers') name. Mouse over event should then display a small sketch of the current board state of that game and match info (i.e. score).
This is just a rough idea and should be improved.

Any comments on the latter is appreciated.

marekful

I think I will follow the 1 bug and 1 feature request/enhancement per entry..;)

1) OK, it's actually not a bug but could be improved: I found that having JF run for over say 60 hours results in the swing becoming what I would say inoperable in the means of slowness. I couldn't exactly figure out what is the proportion of JF to KDE in this without having seen the sources and I don't know if it exists in Windows (but I suppose it must) but I'm pretty sure that it could be improved by freeing more resources during such long runs. (I.e. those used by all text outputs.) This probably would also involve a new feature that would allow those outputs to be logged into files (after a configurable number of lines) rather then kept in the running environment (who needs 60000 lines in any of those text areas?) (OK, another thing: who wants to run it so long? ME!)

2) A bit extreme but would be useful to be able to have empty lines in the kibitzes/says text area by pressing enter in the empty command line. (E.g to separate contents for repbot queries, etc.)

marekful

Quote from: marekful on February 06, 2008, 07:44:50 PM
(after a configurable number of lines)
What I exactly mean here is of course to save everything to plain text files depending on user setting but only keep a limited amount of data (lines of text) in memory thus ensuring the smooth running of JF on the long term.

inim

Quote from: burper on January 20, 2008, 12:51:59 AM

Could you elaborate what this means? The last Mac I used had 8 bit, so I've never seen CocoaFibs running ...

burper

Quote from: inim on February 08, 2008, 08:03:34 PM
Could you elaborate what this means? The last Mac I used had 8 bit, so I've never seen CocoaFibs running ...

It's what it sounds like: a secure store for certificates, passwords, etc...
javafibs itself maintains several accounts, but this integration would allow access the mac keychain app.
There are such apps available for other OS's. Perhaps there is a standard protocol for such things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Keychain

http://keepass.info/
http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

teyakis

Not sure if anyone else using a mac and javafibs has the same problem:

copy and paste do not work.  :unhappy:

The only way to save anything from shouts, etc is to right click and the only options available are:

'clear' or 'save as' (which is fine cause you can save it in a text file) ; but i CANNOT paste anything into javafibs!!

Anyone else have this problem? or am i missing something?  :wacko:

Thanx

kleine_meid

Just a thougt of a "digibeet"  :huh::

Couldn't use the normal quickmenu's also (right klick for copy the same, paste doesn't exist it seems on fibs)

Found out that using ctrl + c (for copy) and ctrl + v (for pasting) does the job for me... maybe you could try...

who thinks to be someone stopped becoming someone

teyakis

Quote from: kleine_meid on February 12, 2008, 03:06:40 PM
Just a thougt of a "digibeet"  :huh::

Couldn't use the normal quickmenu's also (right klick for copy the same, paste doesn't exist it seems on fibs)

Found out that using ctrl + c (for copy) and ctrl + v (for pasting) does the job for me... maybe you could try...

who thinks to be someone stopped becoming someone

Thanks kleine...but i had already tried that...doesnt work for me! :unhappy:

spielberg

Quote from: teyakis on February 12, 2008, 02:36:21 PM
Not sure if anyone else using a mac and javafibs has the same problem:

copy and paste do not work.  :unhappy:

The only way to save anything from shouts, etc is to right click and the only options available are:

'clear' or 'save as' (which is fine cause you can save it in a text file) ; but i CANNOT paste anything into javafibs!!

Anyone else have this problem? or am i missing something?  :wacko:

Thanx

Possibly your problem comes from a slightly different Java on your Mac. I know Java's built into the Mac OS but what is it a perfect Java? Inim or padski strike me as guys to ask - known hackers the pair of them. ;)

and Happy Valentine's day btw  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

socksey

QuoteThanks kleine...but i had already tried that...doesnt work for me!

ctrl/C and ctrl/V are not javafibs commands.  Maybe they don't work for Mac's?  I have a PC and that's how I learned first to copy/paste.   :)

socksey

"We will never negotiate out of fear, but we will never fear to negotiate" - J.F.K.

inim

Quote from: kleine_meid on February 12, 2008, 03:06:40 PM

This seems to be a known bug with Apple's port of the JDK, which needs to be worked around in a OSX specific way. Resolution is here:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java14Development/07-NativePlatformIntegration/NativePlatformIntegration.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001909-212032

Other applications have issues with this as well, just google for "copy paste java OSX". I'll try to fix it, but a donation of some OSX computer would definitely speed up the debugging process  ;)

inim

Quote from: burper on February 10, 2008, 07:25:00 PM
It's what it sounds like: a secure store for certificates, passwords, etc...
javafibs itself maintains several accounts, but this integration would allow access the mac keychain app.
There are such apps available for other OS's. Perhaps there is a standard protocol for such things.

Is there a way to access proprietary keystores (e.g. Mac, Firefox, Windows etc.) from Java without native code? 3rd party lib would be ok, but using native code would create a very messy production and packaging process, which i don't think is worth the hazzle.

inim

Quote from: marekful on February 06, 2008, 07:44:50 PM
2) A bit extreme but would be useful to be able to have empty lines in the kibitzes/says text area by pressing enter in the empty command line. (E.g to separate contents for repbot queries, etc.)

You mean you want to be able to resize the widget where command/tell/kibitz/etc are taking their text input?

inim

Quote from: webrunner on February 01, 2008, 12:45:20 PM
Integrate the sound options similar to 3DFibs. That way more poeple can hear them.
;)

Could you please elaborate what that would be? No 3DFibs used here.

boomslang

Things I came across:

• When you switch from watching one player to another, both matches are recorded in one log file. If you analyze the (converted) file with gnuBG you'll end up with wrong results. See example below:

0:Alehandro:2 1
       1:Alehandro: 13-11 24-23
       0:ParlorBot:4 5
       1:ParlorBot: 12-17 19-23
       1:marekful: 7-6 6-1
       0:bonehead:3 4
       1:bonehead: 2-5 19-23
       0:marekful:2 5

• (Probably already mentioned before, but ...) If you close JavaFIBS by clicking the top right [X], the friends lists etc. are not saved.

• When watching a match, the turned cube is always shown on the left hand side of the board.

• When you open a chat box, the chat line area has no focus. If it would have focus by default you could just start typing (because that's why you opened the box in the first place).

Good luck

stog

if you use a thumb/scroll click mouse or mighty mouse you can assign copt to thumbclick and paste to scroll click - just select and click to copy - works in javafibs

regards stog

inim

Quote from: boomslang on February 13, 2008, 03:56:05 PM

(Probably already mentioned before, but ...) If you close JavaFIBS by clicking the top right [X], the friends lists etc. are not saved.

I can't confirm this bug. Tested the shutdown with JDK 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 on windows. All call the correct method on clicking [X] which should write the files. They are NOT called when running javafibs e.g. from a shell and exiting with ctrl-c, or some other hardcore way of killing a process. However, in such a situation not saving the prefs seems appropriate.

Anybody can describe a reproducable way to exit Javafibs WITHOUT the files being written? Please specify OS and Java version used for your experiments along. Thx.

I could use some low level Java methods (System.shutdownHook) to enforce saving in all and every imaginable scenarios, but would users want that? Please advise.

don

One feature that is missing from every single GUI that I know of is a simple interface to FIBS' features that are not implemented by the GUI.  How often have we all seen:

"x shouts how do I <do something FIBS can do bit GUI can't>?"

It's simple to implement FIBS help in pull-down menus.  This is not done.  Where GUIs do not implement commands they should make it easy for their users to use the many FIBS commands that are also available.  Most users are unaware there are FIBS commands nor what they can do.

--
don
So many string dimensions, so little space time...

boomslang

Quote from: inim on February 21, 2008, 08:36:10 PM
I can't confirm this bug. Tested the shutdown with JDK 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 on windows. All call the correct method on clicking [X] which should write the files. They are NOT called when running javafibs e.g. from a shell and exiting with ctrl-c, or some other hardcore way of killing a process. However, in such a situation not saving the prefs seems appropriate.

You're right... clicking the [X] saves the files.  The files are not saved when JavaFIBS is closed by Windows itself, for example when you reboot Windows.  The JavaFIBS-exit dialog is bypassed (which is ok) and added friends etc. are not written. 

Sorry for mixing them up.

webrunner

What about an integration with fibsboard:

- post rating to fibsboard (in profile)
- shout on fibsboard
- latest posts (RSS)
"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."
Bruce Lee
===================================
Orion Pax |

stog

macfibs has  a list of matches being played, along with watchers ie=quick way to watch a popular game when u log in

inim

Quote from: boomslang on February 22, 2008, 04:22:33 PM
You're right... clicking the [X] saves the files.  The files are not saved when JavaFIBS is closed by Windows itself, for example when you reboot Windows.  The JavaFIBS-exit dialog is bypassed (which is ok) and added friends etc. are not written. 

There are 2 different modes how a JVM can exit, see here for a detailed description
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#addShutdownHook(java.lang.Thread)

Currently JavaFibs hooks into the System.exit(int) hook, but not into the Shutdown hook. My feeling is that this is the preferable solution, albeit hooking into the ShutdownHook is a matter of 20 lines of code. If there will be no "please please support the shutdownHook" postings within a week, I will close this one with "won't fix".

RobertFontaine

I've got a feature request :)

A gnubg or extremegammon position code that we can cut and paste.
Sometimes when I'm watching a match I say "Hey, there's a really interesting position, but short of taking a printscreen of it, I don't have a quick way of saving the position."   If javafibs let me copy/paste the equivalent position code from one of our favourite software vendors (or both) then it would be easy for me to take those,  "gee I wonder if that was right" of for further study.

.... never mind I see I can save it as a jellyfish pos and then import it.   Not as direct but not worth a new feature.  my oops.

Krazula

I'd like programmable buttons to be able to complete multiple commands with one button. Example "tell repbot list %INVITER", "tell repbot ask %INVITER", and "show savedcount %INVITER" all with the click of one button. Another example "tell %PLAYER Hello, would you like a match?" and "Invite %PLAYER 5" with the click of one button.

LuzerBot

It would be great if JavaFIBS would use my playername when saving match logs instead of You.

It saves matches with the filename You_vs_Opponents Name, and in the match file instead of using my playername it also just says You.

I use ExtremeGammon to analyse matches and because of the way JavaFIBS saves the matches it puts me on the top of the board when showing the match so that I am bearing off at the top right instead of the bottom right which makes everything upside down and backward to the way it is when playing.

In order to fix that I have to use a file renamer first and rename the match file and change the You_ to LuzerBot_vs_Opponent Name for each game / match and then I have to use Notepad to open each file and use Find / Replace to change  the You_ to LuzerBot_ everywhere it shows up in the match.

Then ExtremeGammon displays the match the way it was actually played.

I hope it is a simple thing to make it save the matches using my playername instead of You. Seems it should be since it gets the Opponent Name with no problem.

Please change this  :cool:   :thumbsup2:

LuzerBot

It would be FANTASTIC if JavaFIBS could automagically show an inviters savedgame count and rep when they invite you to play.
That would save having to click on programmable buttons and wait for a result. Some players don't give you enough time to do that before they cancel the invite.

Something like this would be wonderful:

Luzerbot invites you to a 3 point match
Luzerbot has 8 saved games
Luzerbot's reputation is 842 ( good )

Luzerbot's Client is JavaFIBS 2001
Luzerbot's Host is 158.0.32.1 cox.net

If JavaFIBS could also auto-display the Client and Host it would help to identify phone users too.
All that info is available. Why bother with programmable buttons to click on to get it? Make it automagic.

Would that be possible?

KissMyAss

Quote from: RobertFontaine on December 25, 2010, 09:26:38 AM
I've got a feature request :)

A gnubg or extremegammon position code that we can cut and paste.
Sometimes when I'm watching a match I say "Hey, there's a really interesting position, but short of taking a printscreen of it, I don't have a quick way of saving the position."   If javafibs let me copy/paste the equivalent position code from one of our favourite software vendors (or both) then it would be easy for me to take those,  "gee I wonder if that was right" of for further study.

.... never mind I see I can save it as a jellyfish pos and then import it.   Not as direct but not worth a new feature.  my oops.

I have an acer emachine laptop, which has a programme in it called a Snipping Tool.   I use it a lot, so am getting pretty good at selecting it from the start menu, click dragging a rectangle on screen of whatever i'm looking at, and it saves that rectangular portion of the screen as a HTML, PNG, GIF, or JPEG file, to wherever you select to save it to.  Was just wondering if that could possibly help you if you have it.  Recently I used it in a webcam chat with someone, to take 'pictures' of them.  With their knowledge of course.  So with practise I am sure you could use it to take pictures of a gammon board reasonably quickly.   I don't know too much technical stuff, but when I read your post, I thought of the Snipping Tool.  :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."  -  Bilbo Baggins (at his 111th Birthday party)

KDP

try fibzilla, it saves the matches with your and your opponents name not "you" and whoever.  also when you get an invite, you get : the players name, rating, match length they want to play, repbot rep and # of saved games.  with javafibs when you get an invite you have to take a few extra seconds to manually get that last bit of information.  also with fibzilla it tells  you what client they are using so if you dont want to play phone users, you again dont have to go searching for that information.

http://www.fibzilla.com/

personal preferences, the boards are bigger and provide a better contrast that what ive been able to get in javafibs.

LuzerBot

I've used fibzilla but don't like it as well as javafibs. I will check and see if there is a newer version than what I have though.

Hopefully it will be a simple thing to change how the matches are saved and the programmers will agree that it would be a good idea to change how javafibs saves the games.

Course, I can come up with all kinds of ideas ---- I'm not the one who has to do the work to make them come true  ;)

careca

Quote from: Krazula on May 25, 2011, 01:32:19 AM
I'd like programmable buttons to be able to complete multiple commands with one button. Example "tell repbot list %INVITER", "tell repbot ask %INVITER", and "show savedcount %INVITER" all with the click of one button. Another example "tell %PLAYER Hello, would you like a match?" and "Invite %PLAYER 5" with the click of one button.
:cool:

Hi there, yes, if one gets to build new version, then please include such concatenation of commands for:

1) programmable buttons
2) command line

Thnks!

socksey

Quote from: LuzerBot on July 19, 2011, 10:46:57 PM
I've used fibzilla but don't like it as well as javafibs. I will check and see if there is a newer version than what I have though.

Hopefully it will be a simple thing to change how the matches are saved and the programmers will agree that it would be a good idea to change how javafibs saves the games.

Course, I can come up with all kinds of ideas ---- I'm not the one who has to do the work to make them come true  ;)

Have you tried a free version of Gnu for analyzing your matches?

There is a thread on programmable buttons that is very helpful:  http://www.fibsboard.com/javafibs/programmable-button-suggestionshelp/

Sadly, javafibs is no longer being developed.  Someone may take up the chore if they can.  :)

socksey

We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. - Cynthia Ozick

Ragtime

it would be nice to be able to set the messages background windows and text color.

I'd like a black (dark) background, as it is in other apps.

All that white is distracting and after a while your eyes get fried...