News:

Thx to our VIP donor/subscribers in 2010 cheers! .....webrunner, stog, spielberg, jackdaddy, adrian, BallardBG, diane , anononymous , Zorba , sixty_something, ah_clem , kapiti , Drake ,aviator & r_monk

Main Menu

What's in a Name?

Started by Tom, January 22, 2008, 12:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Well not much unless you are JF2001 and don't like showing your age   :ohmy:

A lot of current software seem to be using a predefined series of names to label released versions.
(ubuntu, eclipse, etc) Even microsoft windows has 'code' names before it is released...

(oh you hate microsoft? forget I sad that!)

I have been thinking about what theme to use for the names...

Can't use people names because then it might seem to be an endorsement. etc

The best I have been able to come up with is City names where the big tours go.

The USA has the ABT, there must be other tours in the rest of the world...

Let's post the top 5 cities from USA, Europe, Asia, Pacific, etc

That will give us a list of cities longer than we should ever need.

I'll then sort them... Alpha? Random? Maybe better... Calendar day of their event this year!

Tom

Tom

Well... Here's the USA List...

Lisle
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Las Vegas
Atlanta
Itasca
Van Nuys
Novi
Alexandria Bay
Ft. Lauderdale
Madison
Denver
Peoria
Timonium

So that could make the next JavaFIBS release called JavaFIBS Lisle

Goofy? Maybe... better than JF 2001

Peyo

Sorry Tom, call me old-fashioned, but I think this practise is utterly ridiculous (Microsoft uses it if you need any proof, sheesh), please don't fall for it.

It makes naming disconnected from any reality or logic, and when it comes to software releases, which MUST have some sequence semantics, it just does not work.

It may look pretty, but that is subjective/debatable, and is beside the point.

If you DO go ahead with this (your privilege), please keep some sequence info AS WELL (and yes, I like having the year in there actually, since it makes it really clear when this version came out and how old/out-of-date it might be).

Tom

Quote from: Peyo on January 23, 2008, 09:19:13 PM
Sorry Tom, call me old-fashioned, but I think this practise is utterly ridiculous (Microsoft uses it if you need any proof, sheesh), please don't fall for it.

HA I knew that was gonna haunt me...

Well I was going to use 3.x or something but Peter did not like it... and using a date can become a sore point
(JavaFIBS 2001 for example)

I guess dates are ok as long as you keep releasing  :thumbsup2:

I would to hear other people's opinions...

Tomawaky

I like to let the choice to the programmer to call is baby as he want  :yes:
Tomawaky "I feel good da da da da da da da.........i knew that i would now........."

sixty_something

Tom, i'm inclined to agree with Peyo .. if it ain't broke don't fix it works for names too .. JavaFIBS 2008 looks good to me, but i'd only do that if it really is a major mod .. otherwise a traditional and generic JavaFIBS 2001+ until the time a major revision is released ... regardless, here's a little something for your efforts here and with TourneyBot

:applaus: :applaus: :applaus:

@-`-,-`-,-----
a rose by any other name

A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. -- Unknown
e-mail me

socksey

I like the city names........sorta reminds me of hurricane names using a different mode.  :laugh:  Maybe you could implement the year in with the city.   :happy:

socksey

She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain. - Louisa May Alcott